What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We just checked into a cheap dog friendly motel with beagle after 10 hours on the road, on the way to sort out Mom's life and such and get her cremated. I was able to talk DH into driving instead of just me flying then driving 2+ hours in a rental. We're a bit crispy, but just 3 hours left to get to Mom's tomorrow. Then the fun begins. Whee.

Dawg, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{Dawgluver}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Just cleaned up after Violet getting sick all over her bed in my craft room. She rarely does this so I am worried something is wrong. Oh how I fuss over my furbabies. :(

It doesn't help while cleaning up that my stomach was already a little unsettled. :wacko:

It looks like it will be another night on the couch with Violet. She has not been sick again, but is also not feeling well at all. I hate seeing her like this. Only a few hours earlier she was trying to get me to play in the worst way and now she just wants to cuddle so cuddle we will. Good thing we have a roomy and comfy couch! :angel:

I will try and get her into the vet early if she isn't any better.

nobody i know does relaxation as good as you do, kylie--in your hands, relaxing becomes an art form in itself....:)

V, I must admit I am very much a morning person and I get soooo much done in the mornings and then in the afternoons I like to kick back and chill out :) I get up at 5.30am every morning too, so by late afternoon I usually tire somewhat

If I have MS jobs to do, I always make sure I complete them in the mornings too :)

Must have a bit of reclining in the afternoon ;)

I have kinks where I didn't know I could have kinks. This couch is not big enough for the three of us...Shrek is still sacked out in his chair. I don't think the cats let me move all night. Well, I don't feel flu-ish, so off to work.

V, I must admit I am very much a morning person and I get soooo much done in the mornings and then in the afternoons I like to kick back and chill out :) I get up at 5.30am every morning too, so by late afternoon I usually tire somewhat

If I have MS jobs to do, I always make sure I complete them in the mornings too :)

Must have a bit of reclining in the afternoon ;)

maybe it is precisely because of all the hard work beforehand, that your relaxation times seem so extra delicious to us, kylie. i don't really know. but i look forward to your 'cuppas' with a smile of anticipation. i feel like there is a recliner and a fresh-brewed coffee waiting just for me, as soon as i 'finish up'....:)

Last edited:
Well, I have two sick dogs now. We can not figure out what it could possibly be. The only thing TB has come up with is the sidewalk "salt" the complex put down yesterday because of a call for ice overnight. This stuff is supposed to be pet friendly, but we are wondering if they got it on their paws and licked it off.

I just can't afford another double vet bill but I also can't stand to see them suffer.

Joie is in the hall where he got sick propped up against the door of the guest bathroom and won't move. I can see him from my office but can't get him to come to me. We don't know if he can't walk or just doesn't want to (he can be like that). Violet is a bit better than last night but still on the couch where we slept all night. (PF, sounds like you and I had similar nights with pets on couches).

I am worried :(

Well, I have two sick dogs now. We can not figure out what it could possibly be. The only thing TB has come up with is the sidewalk "salt" the complex put down yesterday because of a call for ice overnight. This stuff is supposed to be pet friendly, but we are wondering if they got it on their paws and licked it off.

I just can't afford another double vet bill but I also can't stand to see them suffer.

Joie is in the hall where he got sick propped up against the door of the guest bathroom and won't move. I can see him from my office but can't get him to come to me. We don't know if he can't walk or just doesn't want to (he can be like that). Violet is a bit better than last night but still on the couch where we slept all night. (PF, sounds like you and I had similar nights with pets on couches).

Bummer. (((Hugs)))

Can you get them to drink a lot of water to dilute anything they may have ingested?

Watching the new SVU...pretty good and then it's time for beddy-bye. Long day tomorrow. Flu going through the facility, the unit where my office is located is closed down, no admits. I just sit in my office and type...:ermm:

The SVU was very good. I love the plot twists.

The flu has shut down several units in three of our main hospitals this week and DH says that it is really affecting both drivers and clients at work. I am supposed to go to a ladies' night tomorrow but it has been a busy week and I am worried about someone being sick (I will most likely pick it up) so I am not sure if I will go now. It is horrible to always have to think of these things when making plans.

I'm going to head about back here shortly and do a little target shooting. It's absolutely gorgeous here today, especially for this time of year. And I aim to take advantage of it.

Laurie, there might be "pet safe" ice melters, but they all will still pit concrete. I won't use them no matter how icey my parking area gets because of this. I don't know if that's the problem or not, but you might want to get in the habit of rinsing your pets' feet in the winter.

You need to be worried !!

First thing you need to find out is exactly what they put down. Many of those melters have ingredients that are toxic to animals. "Pet Friendly" doesn't always equate to pet friendly. Some of the products out there actually have ingredients that heat up to melt the ice .. if an animal ingests that it will heat up inside of them.

So find out exactly what the product it .. name and mfg. Call the vet.

It is not always advisable to induce vomiting or even have them drink water .. vet attention is really important.

Sometimes when a pet ingests something toxic like slug bait for instance the only thing they can do is charcoal or something similar to neutralize it.

Hopefully it is nothing so serious, but best to be on the safe side.

Good luck and let us know how they are doing.

I'm going to head about back here shortly and do a little target shooting. It's absolutely gorgeous here today, especially for this time of year. And I aim to take advantage of it.

Laurie, there might be "pet safe" ice melters, but they all will still pit concrete. I won't use them no matter how icey my parking area gets because of this. I don't know if that's the problem or not, but you might want to get in the habit of rinsing your pets' feet in the winter.
Thanks, Pac. It caught us off guard yesterday. We usually do wash their feet when there is snow and/or ice out there, but our weather is usually milder and they don't de-ice if conditions don't warrant it. This is the first time they did it "in case". We have no control over it. But we will be more careful in the future.

Joie finally moved and had a big drink of water. We are taking them both in to the vet in an hour.

Let us know.
Probably the only thing they can do is best guess, but they'll be able to check temp, heart rate, lungs and all that. And they'll know if they are seeing dogs with similar symptoms.

Okay, back from the vet. The dogs were both unusually hyper by the time we got there - the staff all know them and said "they aren't usually like that". Their temps and hydration are good, but they both had tender tummy regions, glassy eyes and were panting like they were in pain (I know that one from Violet with her chronic hip pain). The vet said (as you already alluded, Pac) that she can only guess it was the salt because I can't come up with anything else they could have got in a 48 hour period.

We have to watch them carefully and they are both on some stomach medicine for three days. If it gets worse or no better, I have to take them back for more tests.

I am exhausted from being up with Violet most of the night and then dealing with Joie and then rushing to the vet. After TB leaves for work I am hoping the three of us can have a good nap.

Thanks everyone for allowing me to go crazy here - they may be animals, but they are my only "kids". :(

Today we are getting our new Sealy Posturepedic mattress delivered, WOOHOO!!

Nothing like a brand new mattress :)

So I am having to stay in and wait for it to arrive...so I have been out in the garden this morning and now about to get on the exercise bike :)

Seems like the worse is over, Laurie. At least you got some tummy medicine for the pooches.

I just got back from the neighbor's. I saw him fiddling around with something over there, so I walked over and we gabbed for an hour or so. It's little things like that that help break up the winter. We don't see much of each other when there's snow on the ground and it's darn near all melted :)

Whoo-Hoo! New mattress! :LOL:
I should go make up my bed like I said a week ago, but I've gotten so used to sleeping on the couch I'll probably sleep right through my alarm if I ever sleep in a real bed again :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom