"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #421
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Only if you get a bite.
And you will never feel the sharp, tiny teeth of a bat bite you while you are sleeping.

That's why it's recommended, Vit. Because a large amount of bats are rabid, it's not normal for them to be indoors in your living quarters (not jjust an attic), and you would never know you were bitten.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #422
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis

And you will never feel the sharp, tiny teeth of a bat bite you while you are sleeping.

That's why it's recommended, Vit. Because a large amount of bats are rabid, it's not normal for them to be indoors in your living quarters (not jjust an attic), and you would never know you were bitten.
I'm thinking if Vit was awake while she was bat bashing, she should be OK. Bats screw up too. I hadn't heard about the automatic rabies shot thing, Pac.

I remember, years ago, while tending bar at a restaurant with a very high ceiling, a poor little bat accidently got in. The weapon of choice was a tennis racquet. Watching the waiters scream like little girls was pretty funny. The bat finally got bonked.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #423
Master Chef

We had a bat in our home this summer. How in the world he got in is still a mystery. I know they can squeeze in a very small opening. Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #424
Executive Chef

A friend recently had a bat encounter. She lives on the 2nd floor of a building, the screen in the window where her cat likes to sit had fallen out, it was a very warm night and the window had been left open for ventilation. Sometime that evening after my friend had retired early, a bat must have entered thru the window only to be greeted by the waiting cat. Dear friend was awakened by the frantic squeaks of the bat, which the cat had securely in her mouth. My friend who happens to sleep au natural was running around the house sans a stitch trying to get the cat to drop the bat, she finally did, but then what was she going to do? The bat was still very much alive, she finally managed to corner it in the bathroom where she covered it with the waste basket. She then spent the next several sleepless hours googling about rabies and trying to figure out how to get rid of the bat. She opened the bathroom window quickly kicked the basket over with a broom handle and closed the door pronto! She called Public Health in the morning and was told that she would need the rabies vaccine because the bat had been in her home and might have bitten her in her sleep. They also said that rabies is deadly and once that you have it your chances of surveying are nil. She agonized over this for several days ( the cat had recently had it's rabies shot, so she was the only one in imminent danger). She really felt that there was no chance that she had been bitten and ultimately decided not to get the vaccine. It is scary to think that you might not know that you have been bitten. But I also tend to think that a bat would need provocation to bite. This was a long story, but since everything turned out okay, it was funny to picture my friend running around nude chasing a bat with a broom!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #425
Chef Extraordinaire

the reason you put bat boxes in a field away from homes is so they have a place to go, away from scary people.

like you guys!!! lol. bunch o' nutcases.

maybe i should teach them how to build an apiary, and how to inject an ei-pen, just to cover all bases...

when i was a kid, my cousins and i would go to the ballfields just after dusk and shoot cherry bombs into the air with sling shots. bats would dive in on the airborne intruder, and if it went off at the right time, the concussion would knock a bat out of the sky stunning it. we'd run over and look at it with flashlights, poking it with sticks.

until it came to and took off, as the saying goes, like a bat out of hell, as we all fell back or scrambled away in terror.

lol. then we'd do it again..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #426
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

ROFL, Somebunny!

Nekkid bat bashing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3459626908.png
Views:	88
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	12520

I didn't know what all the droppings were from on our little deck, till I looked up. Bad pic, cute bat.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #427
Executive Chef

bats squeak? i wouldn't have rescued the bat--not once i realized i would be left, nude and vulnerable, to deal with a live, injured, frantic, flying beast. nope, the cat would have kept her catch. that was an XTREME rescue by your friend, imo. great story though....:)

i wonder why so many bats are rabid? anyone know?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #428
Chef Extraordinaire

from consorting with "nude and vulnerable" women too often?

just a guess...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #429
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the reason you put bat boxes in a field away from homes is so they have a place to go, away from scary people.

like you guys!!! lol. bunch o' nutcases.

maybe i should teach them how to build an apiary, and how to inject an ei-pen, just to cover all bases...

when i was a kid, my cousins and i would go to the ballfields just after dusk and shoot cherry bombs into the air with sling shots. bats would dive in on the airborne intruder, and if it went off at the right time, the concussion would knock a bat out of the sky stunning it. we'd run over and look at it with flashlights, poking it with sticks.

until it came to and took off, as the saying goes, like a bat out of hell, as we all fell back or scrambled away in terror.

lol. then we'd do it again..
so, this building of the bat houses, is this some form of retribution on your part, bt? for your youthful transgressions?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #430
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, youthful? i'm still making up for stuff from when i was in my late 30's.