"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #4351
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Huh.

Hummers prefer tubular flowers, I see them a lot in the hostas and columbines. They also like the color red. Strange, if your neighbors have them, that you don't.

Ours are super territorial, and keep booting each other off the feeder, even though there's room for all.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #4352
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just dug up the shallots I planted last fall. Really nice size, hope they're good.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #4353
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Huh.

Hummers prefer tubular flowers, I see them a lot in the hostas and columbines. They also like the color red. Strange, if your neighbors have them, that you don't.

Ours are super territorial, and keep booting each other off the feeder, even though there's room for all.

Not our neighbors, just friends from nearby towns. SO has a variety of flowers including hostas, lilies, impatiens, hydrangeas, Iris, Morning Glory, etc. The feeder is red with yellow flowers at the feeding holes just like the photo.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #4354
Master Chef

Hi, Andy. Hummers habits can be odd - there are so many species and it depends on the weather and the species, as to where they will go. I'm in SoCal, and last year there were practically none....I was getting pretty disappointed myself. This year there are so many I can't go out on the patio to water without one buzzing around me, lol.

I'd go ahead and leave the feeders up and full, and hopefully 'word of mouth' will eventually get you some hummers. Usually, once one finds another food source, other than your neighbors, others will follow. They are very territorial.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #4355
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Here in the midwest, we only have one species, the ruby throated hummingbird. They migrate south every year. One of my favorite things about spring here is when they return, and I get glared at and dive bombed while they wait for me to fill the feeder again.

As I said before, they return to their birthplace. That is probably the problem. I agree with Cheryl, keep leaving the feeder out. I put just a tiny amount of nectar in ours, with this heat, it needs to be changed frequently, otherwise it goes bad.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #4356
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
Here in the midwest, we only have one species, the red throated hummingbird.
I live in Missouri and have seen 3 different varieties at my parents' feeders. My dad fills 4 or 5 large feeders every day. There's at least 30 birds fighting for a spot at the feeders. We found a nest in the climatis last year. Cute little thing.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #4357
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's cool! What are the other varieties? In Mexico they have the Anna's hummingbird,among others ,but up here we only have the red throated.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #4358
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Today I cleaned the refrigerator, top, sides, gaskets, inside and underneath. Now I won't have to do it again for at least 3 months.

It wasn't really hard to do, but it was hard getting up the energy!
My turn to feel like a slacker. Doesn't it feel good to have it so clean? I always wonder where all those crumbs in the freezer gasket come from (as if I didn't know).
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #4359
Executive Chef

I'm making food for the potluck at work today.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #4360
Executive Chef

I had a funny smell in my refrigerator and could not locate it. It was a chemical smell and not a rotten food thing. I spent all morning looking for bad wires or coolant leaks or something. Then I googled "chemical smell in fridge". Some said to look for bad wires or leaks of some kind. After yelling at the computer for telling me something I already had tried, I saw another poster that said that rotten citrus can smell like that. Needless to say I had forgotten about a leftover lime in the bottom of the crisper drawer! Now the fridge smells fresh again, and the garbage can in the garage has a funny chemical smell...