"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #4361
Chef Extraordinaire

I have not been up long, but have done my Theraband exercises and been on the exercise bike..now enjoying a coffee

Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #4362
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I had a funny smell in my refrigerator and could not locate it. It was a chemical smell and not a rotten food thing. I spent all morning looking for bad wires or coolant leaks or something. Then I googled "chemical smell in fridge". Some said to look for bad wires or leaks of some kind. After yelling at the computer for telling me something I already had tried, I saw another poster that said that rotten citrus can smell like that. Needless to say I had forgotten about a leftover lime in the bottom of the crisper drawer! Now the fridge smells fresh again, and the garbage can in the garage has a funny chemical smell...

You owe me a new monitor!!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #4363
Chef Extraordinaire

Just come back from mums

We had a lovely chat and a couple of coffees, always nice to see mum

Now time for lunch!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #4364
Executive Chef

Well, I'm glad I could provide you some entertainment PF! Maybe I should have posted on the "today's funny" thread. I think I have an old dinosaur monitor in the basement, but the shipping would be outrageous. It is quite big and heavy!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #4365
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Well, I'm glad I could provide you some entertainment PF! Maybe I should have posted on the "today's funny" thread. I think I have an old dinosaur monitor in the basement, but the shipping would be outrageous. It is quite big and heavy!
I was fine until the last line...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #4366
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I was fine until the last line...
Gotcha there, huh? I'm wondering if I should tell Hubby or just let him try to figure out what that smell in the garage is. ;)
Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #4367
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Rock, do you think the cramps were from the pizza?
Sorry belated answer. Yes. I am almost certain it was from the Pizza. It came, it went. My girlfriend and my daughter all ate the same thing as me over the same 24 hours except I ate the pizza. I had no other symptoms other than severe cramps in my lower abdemen and then...well...you know. That's what I get for eating anything....
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #4368
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We must be cursed. SO has had a hummingbird feeder in her garden for two seasons. We have never seen a single bird! The feeder is similar to the one pictured and we follow the directions to a "T". Every one else we talk to has plenty of birds. We have none.

I don't get it.
Andy you need three things in your yard for the birds to come. Food, water and a place of safety to fly to. The feeder and water need to be near a tree or somewhere they can fly to quickly for safety. They are also attracted by brightly colored flowers. For meat eaters, dirt where they can find bugs and worms. When the flowers go to seed, it will attract the seed eating birds. If you are not into planting flowers, I would suggest you plant perennials. they will come up each year without any help from you. Tulips, Irises, Gladiolas, and any other flower that starts with a bulb. Everything should be located away from the house. Yet within sight of a window so you can watch them. If you put in a bird bath, you need to change the watere at least once a wek if not more often. Depending how often the birds visit it. Bright flowers will also atrtract butterflies.

Hope this info helps.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #4369
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the tips Addie. We have all that. Tons of brightly colored flowers, a couple of bird baths and trees galore.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #4370
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Thanks for the tips Addie. We have all that. Tons of brightly colored flowers, a couple of bird baths and trees galore.
One other thing I read, you need to get the feeder out early to mid-April here, it might need to go out earlier in MA. My hummers remind me by buzzing me and glaring in the window.

My dad had dozens of hummers when he lived in Arizona. He would just mix up sugar and water, no boiling, and pour it in the feeders. I do NOT recommend doing that! His feeders were all black with mold, and I don't think it was good for the hummers!