"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #4391
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Mine have never flowered. They send up suckers much like a lilac does. Mine propagate like bunnies! Could be you have a different type of aloe. I'll try and post a picture or two for you to show you what I mean. I suspect neglect will get your aloe to propagate. I am notorious for not watering things very often, so my african violets are my barometer for watering. If they wilt, I water everything! Seems to work with the plants I have left.
Oh, I don't think mine would propogate like bunnies. They're right out there in the front yard where everyone can see.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #4392
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie

Sorry to mislead. They did give me o.j. & cookies --- just don't seem to have worked. Good cookies, too. The nice lady said I could give a "baby bag" next time if I liked. Maybe the smaller volume would do the trick.

I've always had great admiration for the regular donors. So many people give time after time without asking any return. So deserving of praise - like you, LP - belated kudos to you all.

I'm an O negative, too. Could have caused some problems during having-baby times - can't even remember why now.
O- can be given to every other blood type, but can only receive O- so if they don't have any on hand and you need it, you're in trouble. O+ can be given to all the positive blood types, but can only receive O- or O+. Anyway, that's probably why they said it could be a problem.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #4393
Head Chef

Thanks, Skittle. And you, too, Chopper.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #4394
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
O- can be given to every other blood type, but can only receive O- so if they don't have any on hand and you need it, you're in trouble. O+ can be given to all the positive blood types, but can only receive O- or O+. Anyway, that's probably why they said it could be a problem.
Aside from my obvious health problems, I have never been able to donate blood. I have perfectly round red blood cells. As a result, they have a problem rounding corners as the blood flows. I have known for years about the round blood cells. Just didn't know what the reason and problem was. But I have had more than my share of blood transfusions. First one when I was born. I have always been anemic and needed to get new blood every so often. Still do. I don't tolerate iron very well.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #4395
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sitting here relaxing after shopping and figuring out meals to make with the food I bought. Decisions, decisions...

Even though I had plenty of food on hand I still bought another $111 more - and I live alone!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #4396
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just got back from the pool, no rugrats (yay!), and it was a refreshing 86 outside after all the miserable heat!

I cut up a watermelon, blended up some, plan to dehydrate a bunch as Fluffy Angel suggested.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #4397
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Sitting here relaxing after shopping and figuring out meals to make with the food I bought. Decisions, decisions...

Even though I had plenty of food on hand I still bought another $111 more - and I live alone!
I hope some of that was stocking up.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #4398
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

I'm an O negative, too. Could have caused some problems during having-baby times - can't even remember why now.
Its the RH factor (the negative bit) that is the problem when you have babies. Usually not an issue with the first baby, but if there is any blood transfer (and there often is during birth) then the Mom's body produces antibodies against the positive factor and subsequent pregnancies can be spontaneously aborted. They usually give you gammaglobulin or something about week 30 and then immediately after giving birth to avoid that issue. Its only a problem if your DH is positive though. If you're both negative then its all hunky dory.

I'm O- too so I had the full gamut of blood tests and stuff when giving birth.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #4399
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Sorry to mislead. They did give me o.j. & cookies --- just don't seem to have worked. Good cookies, too. The nice lady said I could give a "baby bag" next time if I liked. Maybe the smaller volume would do the trick.

I've always had great admiration for the regular donors. So many people give time after time without asking any return. So deserving of praise - like you, LP - belated kudos to you all.

It's only a problem if the baby isn't Rh-, and then it's a problem with the next Rh+ child, not the first one. If both parents are Rh-, the baby will be too. The baby might be Rh- even if one or both parents are Rh+.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #4400
Chef Extraordinaire

Good morning everyone :)

I had a lovely sleep in this morning!

Steve and I are going for a walk later this morning and a relaxing afternoon in later