"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #4431
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
You need to get yourself an Ipod with the ear phones. It works for my teeneage daughter. She can sit there seeming totally oblivious to the world around her, looking totally unaproachable. She has conditioned me to leave her alone.....
When I first moved in here, I would sit down there doing my needlework. Sure enough someone would show up and not only want to know what I was sewing, but would snatch it right out of my hand. Now when they ask me, "What are you doing?" my answer is always the same. "Sitting quietly while I concentrate." It is the rudest I can get. And they get the hint. Or I light up a cigarette and they go and sit at another table. That always works.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #4432
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have my clothes laid out. As soon as the tem reaches 69 or above, I will go downstairs to the patio and sit with my needlework. Now if everyone leaves me alone....

It never fails. Everytime I sit there, someone comes along and wants to talk. All I want to do is sit and sew. QUIETLY! And I am not one to be rude and tell them to bug off. Why oh why, can't I be as nasty as other folks.
That's strange, Addie. I found that if I want to be left alone, do needlework. If I try to read, people try to talk to me. It's weird because I can talk and do needlework, but not talk and read.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #4433
Chef Extraordinaire

You don't even need the Ipod--just get the headphones/set, pin the end that would plug into your Ipod in a pocket, and pretend to be listening to something. I used to do that on airplanes when you still got the headset--I'd put that on and pretend to be listening to music...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #4434
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
That's strange, Addie. I found that if I want to be left alone, do needlework. If I try to read, people try to talk to me. It's weird because I can talk and do needlework, but not talk and read.
The main reason I go down there is to sit and get out of my apartment. I just want some peace and quiet. I have the radio playing on WJIB. It plays music along the lines of Perry Como, young Tony Bennett, etc. To be honest most of the tenants here just want to gossip, ( I hate gossip!) or travel down Memory Lane. I live in the present. I have no desire to return to Memory Lane. And when I am sewing, I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "My grandmother tried to teach me how to do that. I wish I had paid attention." This is just one of the constant remarks I have heard for the past four years. Over and over.

I know I sound like a snob. But I just want a quiet life without any hassles. These folks have less than I do in their lives. And if it isn't Italian, then it is not worth talking about. I am a very private person. I am not always willing to share what is going on in my life right now. Maybe someday I will find an equal playing field. But it is not just now.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #4435
Chef Extraordinaire

Yesterday was spent in the garden. Today I'm in the kitchen processing stuff for the freezer. The tomatoes haven't started yet, the beans have backed off (between first blossoms setting and 2nd). But, the Swiss Chard.........
Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #4436
Chef Extraordinaire

i just finished stripping and relaying sisal carpet on the big cat post in the house. the one that the cats use rather than hear dw do her deathly screech.

for $10 it looks brandy new. the cats can gack away until their claws are satiated.

then they eat, crap, and go back to sleep.

what a life.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #4437
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Did ten miles (outside) on the bikes before it got hot. Now I get to go do laundry.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #4438
Executive Chef

Just got home from a day of zip lining over on the Quebec side. Slow roasting a pork belly. Think a couple of beer and bit of tv will be good. It's been a busy day already.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #4439
Master Chef

Rocklobster, you are a brave soul, more so than I could ever be! That's some beautiful scenery there.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #4440
Chef Extraordinaire

rock, very cool.

you are an "animal" to zip line over a gorge.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

« Midnite Oil Cafe | - »