What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have gladly done all three in exchange for some sleep! My son is has been waking up a dozen times a night for a week now.
Maybe he'll start sleeping through when he's married lol!

Does anyone know, who cleans their stovetop parts with ammonia in a plastic bag overnight, if you use just pure ammonia or if you mix it with water?

Well, I am off to the doctor. Lemon juice, marshmallow root tea, cider vinegar, cranberry juice have been tried in abundance and the pain today is the worst it has been. We have calculated I have had it for almost a month now (because of my chronic pain, I deal with acute pain differently).

We are thinking it is more likely infection than stone, but shall see.

Thinking of you Laurie xxx

Does anyone know, who cleans their stovetop parts with ammonia in a plastic bag overnight, if you use just pure ammonia or if you mix it with water?

Straight out of the bottle, Kylie. You need full strength to clean off the crud.

Just a tip. Most of my stove top parts are enameled metal. Not bare metal parts. The one exception is a flame distributor that is bare metal. The ammonia is hard on those bare metal parts. When I do it again, I won't include them.

ok guys. anyone interested in guessing who i was on the phone with just now? the man on the line tells me he is calling from windows. he is calling because a problem has been detected on my computer, a hacker. he says mcafee cannot help this problem because it is not a virus. he speaks with an accent, it might be indian, but i don't know. he claims to be calling from highway avenue, u.k. i let him go on long enough to see that he is evidently trying to hook up with my pc. after we hang up, i dial *69 and i am told that the number calling my line was 000-000-0000.

can anyone tell me what a call like this one might mean, what the deal was supposed to be? i didn't even know how to go about effectively questioning this caller, even though i was terribly curious to know what he was up to.....

Last edited:
ok guys. anyone interested in guessing who i was on the phone with just now? the man on the line tells me he is calling from windows. he is calling because a problem has been detected on my computer, a hacker. he says mcafee cannot help this problem because it is not a virus. he speaks with an accent, it might be indian, but i don't know. he claims to be calling from highway avenue, u.k. i let him go on long enough to see that he is evidently trying to hook up with my pc. after we hang up, i dial *69 and i am told that the number calling my line was 000-000-0000.

can anyone tell me what a call like this one might mean, what the deal was supposed to be? i didn't even know how to go about effectively questioning this caller, even though i was terribly curious to know what he was up to.....

Calls like that are usually fraudulent. They try and get your personal details for either financial gain or identity theft ect. Microsoft won't contact you unless you contacted them first..

Straight out of the bottle, Kylie. You need full strength to clean off the crud.

Just a tip. Most of my stove top parts are enameled metal. Not bare metal parts. The one exception is a flame distributor that is bare metal. The ammonia is hard on those bare metal parts. When I do it again, I won't include them.

Thanks so much Andy, I will be doing this on the weekend :)

Vit, we had these calls come on my Dad's phone for probably a year. Don't give them any information, and hang up as soon as possible. They will keep calling - they will not listen to anything you say like "if you keep calling I will call the police". We have a system where you can trace a harassment call three times and then call the police (*57). The problem with this group is that they (as have others) have learned a way to not show the actual phone number so it can not be traced.

I really hope you don't continue to get this - it was really scary for my Dad and I ended up taking the calls. I am sure we got at least one a month and sometimes more. They didn't stop until we got rid of the number. Please be careful.

Snip is so right. They do not and can not know anything about your computer. And if it was Microsoft (who wouldn't call), the number would be identified and they would be calling from a local office to you or Seattle - not the UK.

Last edited:
I hope you had the good sense to shut down your computer as soon as you saw he was trying to hack it. Once you break your computer connection you will hear a 'click' on their end. They will realize that you are on to them. :angel:

Last edited:

They call people at random at try to get personal info. Or, they tell you to give them access to your computer so they can "fix the problem". They might tell you to look at your Windows error log file. That is always full of stuff, some of which can look pretty scary. They are just trying to convince you that you actually have a problem. They might even ask for a credit card number so they can charge you for "fixing the problem".

They phoned Stirling and told him he had a problem on his Windows machine. He uses Linux. :LOL:

You might want to ask, "Since you know there is a problem on my computer, what's my IP address?" They won't know. But, whatever you do, don't give it to them or any other personal info.

I hope you had the good sense to shut down your computer as soon as you saw he was trying to hack it. Once you break your computer connection you will hear a 'click' on their end. They will realize that you are on to them. :angel:

They actually are not hacking the computer at all. They are (as TL and I both said), trying to get information out of you by pretending they are helping you get rid of a hacker. They know nothing about your computer but make you think they do.

They call people at random at try to get personal info. Or, they tell you to give them access to your computer so they can "fix the problem". They might tell you to look at your Windows error log file. That is always full of stuff, some of which can look pretty scary. They are just trying to convince you that you actually have a problem. They might even ask for a credit card number so they can charge you for "fixing the problem".

They phoned Stirling and told him he had a problem on his Windows machine. He uses Linux. :LOL:

You might want to ask, "Since you know there is a problem on my computer, what's my IP address?" They won't know. But, whatever you do, don't give it to them or any other personal info.

They may call random, but they must have called my Dad's line at least once a month for over a year. We kept his number for a few months after he passed in case legitimate calls came through....they called 3 more times asking for Mr. Parrott and saying his computer was being hacked. You can just imagine what I told them. :mad:

With Stirling using Linix (good for him!), a friend actually got the same call and she has never owned a computer of any kind in her life. And she got the repeat calls like we did! These guys are good and they are stupid.

Last edited:
Vit, I agree, the calls are "phishing", trying to get you to give out personal info. The creeps. And they're good at it.

Do you have caller ID, Vit? If I don't recognize a number I let it go to voicemail, and they don't bother to leave a message.

Last edited:
I think Caller ID is almost a must these days. It should be included in basic phone packages, but I know it isn't always.

I think Caller ID is almost a must these days. It should be included in basic phone packages, but I know it isn't always.

I think we pay $4.50 a month for Caller ID on the land line. It's included with the plan on the cell phones.

thanks, all. this call from the 'windows man' was my first time hearing a scam such as this over the phone. he must have been new at the game, because he had not gotten very far in the ten long minutes i stayed on the line. i was supposed to search google for www.showmy....which is when i recognized the 'show my pc now' prompts, as a way to connect to my computer.

if there is a next time, i will know to ask if they have my ip address. (btw, what is ip, a pin number?)

i do not have a cell phone, or caller id on my land line phone. i am basic everything--basic phone service, basic cable and basic network tv.

thanks, all. this call from the 'windows man' was my first time hearing a scam such as this over the phone. he must have been new at the game, because he had not gotten very far in the ten long minutes i stayed on the line. i was supposed to search google for www.showmy....which is when i recognized the 'show my pc now' prompts, as a way to connect to my computer.

if there is a next time, i will know to ask if they have my ip address. (btw, what is ip, a pin number?)

i do not have a cell phone, or caller id on my land line phone. i am basic everything--basic phone service, basic cable and basic network tv.
IP address: IP = Internet Protocol. It's your (usually temporary) computer's address on the internet. It's where websites send the web pages, so you can see them on your computer.

If they say that they somehow know there is a problem on your computer, they would have to know your IP address to be able to see the problem on your computer. BTW, most ISPs (Internet Service Providers) assign you a new IP address every time you connect to the internet.

I think we pay $4.50 a month for Caller ID on the land line. It's included with the plan on the cell phones.

When I had my land line, showing the name was a separate charge from the charge to show the number. I kept just the number ID when I first trimmed back on the extras I didn't need. I knew all the numbers of the folks I would be willing to talk to. Those I didn't recognize, I just didn't answer. I get complete caller ID on my cell. Name and number. Unless it is an unpub.ished number. Then it just says restricted. I have only to folks with unrestricted. And the second one only calls on a Saturday night after 10 p.m. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom