"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #4861
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
This morning I am off to look for some frames...it is time to get some glasses. I will pick out the frames and then book in for an eye test and select which lenses.

I am fine for seeing everything except really small print...I am long sighted and am just lately having trouble seeing really small writing, so I may as well get some glasses for the smaller stuff and have less strain
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #4862
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
This morning I am off to look for some frames...it is time to get some glasses. I will pick out the frames and then book in for an eye test and select which lenses.

I am fine for seeing everything except really small print...I am long sighted and am just lately having trouble seeing really small writing, so I may as well get some glasses for the smaller stuff and have less strain
Kylie, remember when picking out a frame, that glasses are jewelry for your face. You wouldn't pick out a garish piece of jewelry to be worn on your finest silk blouse. Your face is more valuable that that silk blouse. You don't have to go with today's styles if it doesn't look good on you. If they don't look good on you, or are uncomfortable, you are likely to not use them as often as necessary. You won't want to be seen in them.

Good luck.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #4863
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Thanks Addie

It will probably take me forever to select a pair as there are so many to choose from and this is all so new to me really

I know I definitely want a black pair as although I like all the bright pinks and purples, it will not go with all your clothes, so it is best to stick to a neutral colour that will blend with everything and I just like the look of black frames too
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #4864
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Thanks Addie

It will probably take me forever to select a pair as there are so many to choose from and this is all so new to me really

I know I definitely want a black pair as although I like all the bright pinks and purples, it will not go with all your clothes, so it is best to stick to a neutral colour that will blend with everything and I just like the look of black frames too
Don't forget to take a look at half frames. They are very light and you can't even feel them when you are wearing them.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #4865
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
I had to run to the store around 4 p.m. I am only two streets behind the main street that runs the length of Eastie. A man was crossing Bennington Street. It has four lanes with a median strip down the middle. He had his cell phone to his ear and his head down. A large limo van was traveling at a reduced speed and couldn't stop in time. The pedestrian was almost to the milddle of the street. The van hit him with such force that he went flying back onto the sidewalk. There were pools of blood on the sidewalk and in the gutter. He was alive when the ambulance took him. Traffic was a mess. They had to divert it to Saratoga Street. Now that street is very narrow and buses were coming down it. What a traffic mess.

Of course the blame will go to the driver and his insurance premium will go sky high for the next seven years. I think the pedestrian should have to pay the premium. My sympathies are with the driver.

Oh, because of the traffic jam all this caused, there was another fender bender.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #4866
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I had to run to the store around 4 p.m. I am only two streets behind the main street that runs the length of Eastie. A man was crossing Bennington Street. It has four lanes with a median strip down the middle. He had his cell phone to his ear and his head down. A large limo van was traveling at a reduced speed and couldn't stop in time. The pedestrian was almost to the milddle of the street. The van hit him with such force that he went flying back onto the sidewalk. There were pools of blood on the sidewalk and in the gutter. He was alive when the ambulance took him. Traffic was a mess. They had to divert it to Saratoga Street. Now that street is very narrow and buses were coming down it. What a traffic mess.

Of course the blame will go to the driver and his insurance premium will go sky high for the next seven years. I think the pedestrian should have to pay the premium. My sympathies are with the driver.

Oh, because of the traffic jam all this caused, there was another fender bender.
Was the pedestrian crossing on the red? Was he crossing at a pedestrian crossing? At the corner?

As a driver, without more info, it sounds like the limo driver's fault to me.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #4867
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Thanks Addie

It will probably take me forever to select a pair as there are so many to choose from and this is all so new to me really

I know I definitely want a black pair as although I like all the bright pinks and purples, it will not go with all your clothes, so it is best to stick to a neutral colour that will blend with everything and I just like the look of black frames too
Ask the optometrist for your pupilary distance. He/she might not give it to you, but it's worth asking.

You can buy more glasses, cheap, online once you have your prescription. I bought two pairs of glasses with bifocals that cost me a total of less than Cdn $85, including shipping! The pair of reading glasses I bought at the optometrist cost over Cdn $500.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #4868
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,308
Kylie, hope you find the frames you like...maybe you should splurge and get one just black, and another a fun color that you like.

As for me, I'm watching the rain coming down and listening to lightening - power is intermittently going out and satellite is sketchy. Might be an early bedtime night here. lol
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #4869
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Was the pedestrian crossing on the red? Was he crossing at a pedestrian crossing? At the corner?

As a driver, without more info, it sounds like the limo driver's fault to me.
Where the accident happened there is no crosswalk or lights. It is where traffic from the airport, the tunnel from in town and local traffic converge. Anyone who lives in the neighborhood knows when rush hour traffic happens and knows better than to try to cross the street in that area. His head was down and he just stepped off the curb without looking either way talking on his cell phone. There were some of the neighborhood elderly folks sitting outside at the time and saw the whole thing. One woman was so upset at what she saw, she couldn't stop crying. The police couldn't even interview her.

It is a common practice here that if you don't have AC, you take your folding beach chair and sit outside on the sidewalk with your neighbors. So they were right there and saw the whole thing. Rush hour traffic starts here around 3:30 p.m. The sun is just starting to go down and when going south, can be blinding. That may have been a factor. The street runs north/south. the accident happened on the south side of the street. But like my son says, in this state you should have your vehicle under your control at all times. It was definitely the pedestrian's fault. But the driver will get all the blame. It will go on his driving record, but I doubt if the police will process it for any court action. That is very typical here.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #4870
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Where the accident happened there is no crosswalk or lights. It is where traffic from the airport, the tunnel from in town and local traffic converge. Anyone who lives in the neighborhood knows when rush hour traffic happens and knows better than to try to cross the street in that area. His head was down and he just stepped off the curb without looking either way talking on his cell phone. There were some of the neighborhood elderly folks sitting outside at the time and saw the whole thing. One woman was so upset at what she saw, she couldn't stop crying. The police couldn't even interview her.

It is a common practice here that if you don't have AC, you take your folding beach chair and sit outside on the sidewalk with your neighbors. So they were right there and saw the whole thing. Rush hour traffic starts here around 3:30 p.m. The sun is just starting to go down and when going south, can be blinding. That may have been a factor. The street runs north/south. the accident happened on the south side of the street. But like my son says, in this state you should have your vehicle under your control at all times. It was definitely the pedestrian's fault. But the driver will get all the blame. It will go on his driving record, but I doubt if the police will process it for any court action. That is very typical here.
So, the pedestrian was crossing where he shouldn't have crossed. Where no one would expect a pedestrian?

You wrote, "The pedestrian was almost to the milddle of the street." To me, that means that the limo should have been able to see him in time to stop or swerve. I agree with your son, you should have your vehicle under your control at all times. You shouldn't be driving faster than you can stop in the distance you can see. I agree the pedestrian was behaving stupidly, but it still sounds like the driver's fault to me.

A friend of mine's son rear-ended someone. She said the other driver stopped too fast. No, there is no such thing. You shouldn't be following so closely that you can't stop when the guy in front of you slams on the brakes.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.