What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We ended up putting steel poles with a T bar, in concrete embedded with river rock. DH is serious about feeding his birds :LOL: I wire up whatever feeder we hang, otherwise it gets dragged into the woods, never to be found. I also have a squirrel baffle under each feeder, which is a stepping stone for the coons. We tried the shepherd's hooks, the coons just bent them to the ground. And the possums have joined them.

This is the one we use (the green one)
img_1252445_0_94828c1ffd0b270b5e5b3162183348e9.jpg

If they can shimmy up the post they can't get to the food.

It also comes this way ..

img_1252445_1_0784d716d5f607ffd9c769213f21fb9e.jpg

We have 4 feeders ... 1 in a tree the other 3 on shepherd hooks.

They liked climbing the pole on one of them so I searched and found a simple solution.

Bought a slinky. Attached it to the top of the post and let it hang down .. they could no longer get up but had a real fun ride :LOL:

I don't have any kind of anything at the bottom.

We also have raccoons and possums but they don't make it up the posts so they settle for the stuff on the ground.

Have you looked at youtube at some of the contraptions people have made ... you will LOL

Now there is a feeder that spins when a squirrel gets on it as well as one where it closes .. both work based on the weight of the animal.

Good luck .. I know it's a challenge !

This is the one we use (the green one)

If they can shimmy up the post they can't get to the food.

It also comes this way ..

We have 4 feeders ... 1 in a tree the other 3 on shepherd hooks.

They liked climbing the pole on one of them so I searched and found a simple solution.

Bought a slinky. Attached it to the top of the post and let it hang down .. they could no longer get up but had a real fun ride :LOL:

I don't have any kind of anything at the bottom.

We also have raccoons and possums but they don't make it up the posts so they settle for the stuff on the ground.

Have you looked at youtube at some of the contraptions people have made ... you will LOL

Now there is a feeder that spins when a squirrel gets on it as well as one where it closes .. both work based on the weight of the animal.

Good luck .. I know it's a challenge !

We have to use metal baffles, the plastic ones get trashed in minutes. I'll have to take pics of all the contraptions we've had to use to thwart all the critters. The slinky sounds interesting, it's about the only thing we haven't tried. The shepherd's crooks go down in a couple of days! Our coons are the size of German shepherds here.

Love the pics!

Last edited:
kylie, since you guys love your cottons so, and you have so much ironing to deal with every day, wouldn't one of those steamer machines make your job much quicker and easier?

Not really. "If cravings were an indicator of nutritional deficiency, we'd all crave fruits and vegetables," says Karen Ansel, MS, RD, CDN. "The fact that we all want high carb, high fat comfort foods, along with the research, is a pretty good indicator that cravings aren't related to deficiencies."

Do Food Cravings Indicate Nutritional Deficiency?

Perhaps not all the junk food junkies out there but some of us are in tune with our own bodies.
I've been spot on every time. I always crave food that contain the nutrients that my body is lacking.
If you're craving hamburgers and fries it's common sense that your craving is not linked to a deficiency.

Do you bird feeders get strong winds? If I had thoses feeders with the funnels over them they'd be blowing sideways half the time, spilling the seed I imagine.
I've always wanted to set up some feeders. I used to have one mounted to a telephone pole and nobody bothered it. The seed got moldy though. It was the kind that looked like a cabin with glass sides.

Made 8.5 quarts of Chili. Soaked 3 lbs of dried kidney beans overnight, cooked bean for about 1 hour while browning 5 pounds of beef with 8 cloves of minced garlic and 4 diced medium-large yellow onions, added 1.75 quarts of water, brought to a boil and reduced to a simmer, simmered for 4.5 hours; adding half the beans after 1 hour and the balance of the beans and bean cooking water after simmering for 2.5 hours. At 1 pint per serving, this batch should be enough for Chili for two, twice per month, for 4 months.

Do you bird feeders get strong winds? If I had thoses feeders with the funnels over them they'd be blowing sideways half the time, spilling the seed I imagine.
I've always wanted to set up some feeders. I used to have one mounted to a telephone pole and nobody bothered it. The seed got moldy though. It was the kind that looked like a cabin with glass sides.

Yeah sometimes we get strong winds .. kind of goes with living in NE Ohio. Interestingly enough we really haven't lost that much seed during the wind storms.

We had one of those cabin style feeders with the clear sides .. the squirrels loved that one. They figured out that if they worked hard enough they could chew into the plexiglass and made a crack in it.

One day when I came home from shopping I saw a squirrel sitting inside of it .. he had pulled the plexi completely off.

They can be very creative and they are also super persistant.

Putting the dome over top actually serves a couple purposes .. keeps the squirrels from getting to the feeder, helps keep some of the weather out of the seed and gives the birds a wee bit of protection from the hawks that hang out here.

Made 8.5 quarts of Chili. Soaked 3 lbs of dried kidney beans overnight, cooked bean for about 1 hour while browning 5 pounds of beef with 8 cloves of minced garlic and 4 diced medium-large yellow onions, added 1.75 quarts of water, brought to a boil and reduced to a simmer, simmered for 4.5 hours; adding half the beans after 1 hour and the balance of the beans and bean cooking water after simmering for 2.5 hours. At 1 pint per serving, this batch should be enough for Chili for two, twice per month, for 4 months.

PS- A quart of the chili weighs 2+ pounds.

I've been spot on every time. I always crave food that contain the nutrients that my body is lacking.
If you're craving hamburgers and fries it's common sense that your craving is not linked to a deficiency.

Have you had blood tests before and after the craving to confirm that? If not, how do you know you were deficient?

This started when you told Pac that his eating toasted cheese sandwiches frequently meant he had a deficiency. Based on what I've seen of his diet, I don't think he's deficient in protein or calcium. What do you think it is?

I need to learn how to make good chilly, my wife loves it. I have been talking about making it for years. Personally I hate beans. She would be really happy if I did. But not now, maybe I'll talk to you after Passover to ask for lots of details.

We can learn to listen to our bodies and they will tell us what they need. You can learn to tell the difference between a craving for junk and "good cravings".

Do you have a source for evidence of that? I really am curious because I have serious chronic vitamin and mineral deficiencies because of a medical problem that makes it difficult for my body to absorb nutrients from food.

Have you had blood tests before and after the craving to confirm that? If not, how do you know you were deficient?

This started when you told Pac that his eating toasted cheese sandwiches frequently meant he had a deficiency. Based on what I've seen of his diet, I don't think he's deficient in protein or calcium. What do you think it is?

Yes, I have had blood test to confirm many times before and after.

I said to Pac that it might be "a vitamin deficiency" Not I know he has one. This was not meant to be a medical debate. A few cheese sandwiches and tomatoes won't kill anyone regardless.

Some people do know their bodies well enough to be able to tell. Never said we all do.

Yes, I have had blood test to confirm many times before and after.

I said to Pac that it might be "a vitamin deficiency" Not I know he has one. This was not meant to be a medical debate. A few cheese sandwiches and tomatoes won't kill anyone regardless.

Some people do know their bodies well enough to be able to tell. Never said we all do.

Sorry if my language was imprecise. I'm still curious to know what you think his deficiency might be.

Since I have complex medical problems and worked at a medical school, unsubstantiated medical claims are one of my pet peeves :) I really would like to see evidence that this is true because research I've done says otherwise.

To me, this is just like discussing different ideas about cooking. Some are true and some are not and sometimes people believe untrue ideas because that's they were taught.

Actually, I just had a craving for toasted cheese sandwiches :chef:
I tend to not have (make/eat) things for a while, so when I do make something I hit it hard. I was still eating bread and cheese and other vegetables when I wasn't making toasted cheese sandwiches.
I'm pretty sure if I'm deficient in anything though it's chicken wings. I haven't made myself some chicken wings in probably 2-3 weeks ;)

Back
Top Bottom