What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched a couple of episodes of Roseanne, then The Honeymooners. They were Christmas shows. I only made it through part of The Honeymooners and dozed off. After doing a few dishes, once I woke up, I made Mark's lunch for tomorrow and fed the cat.

It's 4am, I've been awake since 2.30am, because I passed out from belly fullness after eating dinner last night pretty early. Think we finished eating at about 6.30pm and I fell asleep on the sofa until 10pm, then made my way to bed. I'm going to be tired tonight!

I didn't know it was broadcaast in this country also. I assume those of you who live in Canada, get her broadcast. I haven't been listening to any news today. Any report on how Prince Philip is doing? The last I heard was that he was rushed to the hospital with chest pains.

I don't know how the average British subject feels, but I would hate to see the Monarchy end. :)

I watched it on the computer.

Why do Yankees so often refer to the Queen of England as "The Queen" and the English monarchy as "the monarchy"? Are you guys that tied to England? There are other queens and other monarchies.

Why do Yankees so often refer to the Queen of England as "The Queen" and the English monarchy as "the monarchy"? Are you guys that tied to England? There are other queens and other monarchies.

I can't speak for the Yankees, I'm a Red Sox fan. The British monarchy is a favorite topic here. It's porbably fairy tale related. We all grew up hearing stories of kings and castles, palaces, Prince Charming, and beautiful princesses.

It's natural for the British monarchy to be the one we focus on because the British are the most like us due to language.

I don't refer to them at all :huh:
But if I did it would be the Queen of England or the British Monarchy. I don't know them well enough to be on a first name basis. ;)

Not many of those other queens oversee a monarchy or commonwealth made up of 54 independent nations. Betty put the Q in Queen!

She is Queen Elizabeth, she is The Queen. If we were speaking of any other queen, she would still be The Queen. I guess I don't understand the problem with using proper grammar.

She is Queen Elizabeth, she is The Queen. If we were speaking of any other queen, she would still be The Queen. I guess I don't understand the problem with using proper grammar.

Not a problem of grammar. I just find it odd for a USAian person to say "The Queen" without further description and assume that the rest of us know they mean Queen Elizabeth II of England and not the queen of some other country. It's not like she is your queen. If a Canadian says "The Queen" without further description I assume they mean Queen E, because she is our queen. If a Dane says, "The Queen", I assume that person means Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

If there has already been mention of a specific queen, then saying "the queen" seems reasonable to me.

Our history is tied very strongly to England. Remember we fought two wars against England. The first war was against a king that eventually went mad. :ohmy:

Since we wrapped up X'mas festivities on X'mas Eve I had X'mas Day pretty much to just relax and do whatever. I spent part of the day forming, rebar'ing, and pouring a concrete slab in one area of the patio. In the evening we stayed in, ate leftovers, and watched movies.

I just tried out that 1946 Spanish Mauser I bought last week. Smooth as glass action abd boy does she kick, lol. Fun gun.
I wasn't very happy with my grouping at 100 yds though. I am blaming it on my mind being on The Queen...

Since we wrapped up X'mas festivities on X'mas Eve I had X'mas Day pretty much to just relax and do whatever. I spent part of the day forming, rebar'ing, and pouring a concrete slab in one area of the patio. In the evening we stayed in, ate leftovers, and watched movies.

Wow, relaxing while pouring a concrete pad...

You have more energy than I do. My relaxing has to do with a soft, cofortable chair and a warm cat on my lap.

Come relax at my house, will ya? I have this sidewalk I need poured.:LOL::wacko:

Last edited:
Not a problem of grammar. I just find it odd for a USAian person to say "The Queen" without further description and assume that the rest of us know they mean Queen Elizabeth II of England and not the queen of some other country. It's not like she is your queen. If a Canadian says "The Queen" without further description I assume they mean Queen E, because she is our queen. If a Dane says, "The Queen", I assume that person means Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

If there has already been mention of a specific queen, then saying "the queen" seems reasonable to me.

I need to learn more about 'the queen' and 'the monarchy', now that I'm Canadian and American. I have not given it much thought.

Princess Fiona......only exists on DC, right?

My first thought when I hear "Queen" is:

220px-QueenBand.jpg

I need to learn more about 'the queen' and 'the monarchy', now that I'm Canadian and American. I have not given it much thought.

Princess Fiona......only exists on DC, right?

Oh No...she is a movie star from the Shrek movies. My green complexion is the give away. I exist on many levels...:LOL:

Personally, I don't know any other queens. Elizabeth II is The Queen.

We got our independence from the British Monarchy, and I think that a tie of affection, if not allegience still holds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom