"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #5191
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Sitting here one-handed typing & reading DC while the other hand is comforting Ali (my avatar dog). There is a loud thunderstorm going through and she is afraid of loud noises. She has her head laying on my right hand at the moment....

Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #5192
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Sitting here one-handed typing & reading DC while the other hand is comforting Ali (my avatar dog). There is a loud thunderstorm going through and she is afraid of loud noises. She has her head laying on my right hand at the moment....
Aww, poor Ali. I know how she feels. Violet is so scared of thunder and lightening. Last night there was a fired in the back part of our complex (not near our building but also not that far away). Violet was staying so tight to me because of the sirens and flashing lights.

Give Ali a gentle hug or scruff behind the ears (whichever she likes better) for me and Violet (and Joie too).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #5193
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Aww, poor Ali. I know how she feels. Violet is so scared of thunder and lightening. Last night there was a fired in the back part of our complex (not near our building but also not that far away). Violet was staying so tight to me because of the sirens and flashing lights.

Give Ali a gentle hug or scruff behind the ears (whichever she likes better) for me and Violet (and Joie too).
She like a reassuring hand on her and to snuggle close. She has dozed off now since the storm has passed.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #5194
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD

She like a reassuring hand on her and to snuggle close. She has dozed off now since the storm has passed.
I feel for you! My cocker and dalmation couldn't handle storms. Much panting and vocalizing. Beagle couldn't care less, though she hates to get wet.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #5195
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

In Denver our deadbolt was keyed on both sides...I got locked IN our apartment because my keys went missing, they were under the couch. I had to call Shrek to come and let me out so I could go to work.
Eeks! At least you had provisions had Shrek not been able to rescue you!
Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #5196
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I feel for you! My cocker and dalmation couldn't handle storms. Much panting and vocalizing. Beagle couldn't care less, though she hates to get wet.
She doesn't bark or whine at all, she just comes looking for me and then wants in my lap or next to me. She really gets upset if the smoke alarm goes off, much running and hiding on my bed.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #5197
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
She doesn't bark or whine at all, she just comes looking for me and then wants in my lap or next to me. She really gets upset if the smoke alarm goes off, much running and hiding on my bed.
That's the same as Violet. Just pushes against me, whether it is my hand or any part of my body. The UPS (universal power supply) units on all our computer and A/V equipment scare the daylights out of her when they beep.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #5198
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD
This is what works for my Aunts dog. You wouldn't think it would work, but honest it really does.
https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx...fdnxmgodqhgauq
Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #5199
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper

This is what works for my Aunts dog. You wouldn't think it would work, but honest it really does.
https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx...fdnxmgodqhgauq
I've heard about this. Wish I'd known about it with my previous storm frightened furbabies.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #5200
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to take a t-shirt and wrap it around one of my dogs that was extremely thunderstorm phobic and used vet wrap to secure it. She slept on the bed with me and I would put her under the covers (she with her t-shirt on), and hold her close when there were night-time thunderstorms. I quickly learned that she'd stand on the bed and watch for lightening, so I covered her up so she couldn't see the lightening. It seemed to work. She would still shake, but many times, she slept through the storms. The irony was that when she lost her hearing, thunderstorms no longer bothered her. That was the plus of her going deaf. She was my "found-on-road-dog" and was also gun shy. A hunting dog she was never. I miss her still. I have her collar in a ziplock bag--it still smells like her. Every now and again, I take it out to get a good whiff of her....

The first Saint Bernard I rescued was terrified of thunderstorms. He had been a "tied in the yard dog." I remember the first thunderstorm after I brought him home. It was a bad storm--the phone lines were crossed for 6 weeks after that storm. Anyway, I woke up to find him sitting next to the bed, panting. I touched him, and he felt as if he were made of concrete. Every muscle in his body was tensed. Poor baby. After that, I would take him in the basement when I knew a storm was coming and give him a Kong stuffed with frozen liver cubes.