"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #5201
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh no, Addie. Thoughts are with you and your granddaughter. What an awful week for you and your family.
I have to agree. This has not been one of our best times. To be honest, the father has never been one of my favorite people. My GD was finally able to get hold of his family. They are going to have him cremated and then hold a service for him. She is still upset. They got into a screaming argument with her over it. It wasn't until she told them that she would have the city pick up the body and bury him, that they finally shut up. Their final parting word was that if they had to take care of it all, then they didn't want her to go into his apartment and take anything. Trust me, she doesn't want anything. The apartment will probably be condemned. Ever seen the show "Hoarding?" And it has a major bedbug problem.

What a great day. So from here on, it can only get better.

My daughter has been resting. The stitches are starting to bother her and itch. Time for them to come out. I never made it to her house today either. I have been dealing with my GD today. This is the child I raised after her mother died. It's a good thing I have a lot of inner strength.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #5202
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cool idea! I got one for my t-shirts and sweaters. Works great and I can hang more uniforms...
Oh-oh--I'd need 100 of them to store fabric (she who dies with the most fiber, wins). I used a few of those at the farm for my t-shirts, sweaters, shorts, sheets, pillow cases, etc. They worked great. (I had left my "to die for closet" behind in the City). They are also easy to stitch up if you can sew.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #5203
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,291
{{{Hugs}}} Barbara. No one knows enough to be a pessimist.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #5204
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh-oh--I'd need 100 of them to store fabric (she who dies with the most fiber, wins). I used a few of those at the farm for my t-shirts, sweaters, shorts, sheets, pillow cases, etc. They worked great. (I had left my "to die for closet" behind in the City). They are also easy to stitch up if you can sew.
Now that I have one, and I have freed up my sewing desk from all the fabric , I plan to sew a couple for other uses, customizing the length and the size of the pockets. I may even use some of the fabric I have unearthed.

Oh, and mine is stuffed to the brim and I haven't put all the fabric in yet!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #5205
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to agree. This has not been one of our best times. To be honest, the father has never been one of my favorite people. My GD was finally able to get hold of his family. They are going to have him cremated and then hold a service for him. She is still upset. They got into a screaming argument with her over it. It wasn't until she told them that she would have the city pick up the body and bury him, that they finally shut up. Their final parting word was that if they had to take care of it all, then they didn't want her to go into his apartment and take anything. Trust me, she doesn't want anything. The apartment will probably be condemned. Ever seen the show "Hoarding?" And it has a major bedbug problem.

What a great day. So from here on, it can only get better.

My daughter has been resting. The stitches are starting to bother her and itch. Time for them to come out. I never made it to her house today either. I have been dealing with my GD today. This is the child I raised after her mother died. It's a good thing I have a lot of inner strength.
That makes three--hopefully there is truth in bad things come in threes. {{{HUGS}}} (Harriet wants to hop the bus and come down--I'm having a hard time convincing her that Greyhound will not let her ride coach. And, she can't cross the border--she's practicing flying to see if she can fly across...). Chickens aren't very good at flying--if Little Millie were tamer, she could "maybe" fly across at a border crossing where there isn't a bridge and water....I don't think she can swim.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #5206
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I feel for you! My cocker and dalmation couldn't handle storms. Much panting and vocalizing. Beagle couldn't care less, though she hates to get wet.
Teddy just wants to climb under your blankets whether you are there or not. He just shakes violently until he is under those blankets. A couple of times he has been here during a summer storm. He comes flying up on my bed and crawls right under the blanket. I find that he calms down if I pat him while he is under there.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #5207
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Now that I have one, and I have freed up my sewing desk from all the fabric , I plan to sew a couple for other uses, customizing the length and the size of the pockets. I may even use some of the fabric I have unearthed.

Oh, and mine is stuffed to the brim and I haven't put all the fabric in yet!
I made a "mini" one to store dog stuff---leashes, collars, bandanas, sweaters, etc. And, I used dog fabric. If you run short of fabric, I have tons of dog fabric prints!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #5208
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have spent the past hour trying to get my granddaughter calmed down. Her father died this morning from complications from diabetes. The hospital called her to come to the hospital to identify him. She is a divorced single mother of three small children and certainly hasn't the money to bury him. No insurance. She has been trying to get in touch with his brothers and other family members. No one is home. What a mess.
The hospital wants to know what to do with the body. She doesn't have an answer for them.

Does it ever end? I have to get dressed and go to my daughter's home. I want just an hour of calm right now.
That is so sad. I feel so bad for your granddaughter (and the family). I am praying. Did her father belong to a church, club, group that might be able to help out with the expenses?
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #5209
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Thank you for the prayers everyone. My sister had surgery today, and things are looking really good. They took care of the aneurysm that caused the stroke. It turns out there are two more, and they will deal with them when she has recovered from this step.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #5210
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Thank you for the prayers everyone. My sister had surgery today, and things are looking really good. They took care of the aneurysm that caused the stroke. It turns out there are two more, and they will deal with them when she has recovered from this step.
Oh Barbara, still praying for your sister. I'm glad they were able to take care of the aneurysm, and that they have a plan about the others.
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.