What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For many years it has been my habit to tally up my expenses for the prior year and determine my net worth, first thing on new years day. Pretty exciting stuff! I think it is a throw back to being raised on a small farm.

The thing that struck me this year is that I am right where I was on the first day of 2010. Things showed some improvement on the first day of 2011 but then slid right back during the year. I think the economists who say we are not having a double dip recession are wrong, at least by my calculations!

Now I can start working on my "one day at a time" resolutions for diet, exercise etc... I mean how hard can it be? One day at a time, right?:ermm::huh::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Eating Cream of Wheat, cooking split peas in ham stock I made yesterday. Slow start today.

We broke our corkscrew last night, cheap pot metal, trying to open a bottle of Moscato d'asti. We finally gave up and had some sparkling cider. I need to go buy a new corkscrew so we can try out the Asti.

Eating Cream of Wheat, cooking split peas in ham stock I made yesterday. Slow start today.

We broke our corkscrew last night, cheap pot metal, trying to open a bottle of Moscato d'asti. We finally gave up and had some sparkling cider. I need to go buy a new corkscrew so we can try out the Asti.

You only have one corkscrew!? :ohmy:

You only have one corkscrew!? :ohmy:

Our really nice one, about 25 years old, fell apart last year. The corkscrews on our Swiss Army Knives are not working on this cork. The replacement corkscrew, high end Swing-Away, broke. I guess I'll go see if I can afford a Rabbit corkscrew.

When I worked in a restaurant many years ago, I was the only one who could open the wine properly with a corkscrew. Even the bartender had problems. And I don't even drink. I preferred the simple one. Handle with a corkscrew. Go figure.

When I worked in a restaurant many years ago, I was the only one who could open the wine properly with a corkscrew. Even the bartender had problems. And I don't even drink. I preferred the simple one. Handle with a corkscrew. Go figure.

Personally, I don't care if we pick the cork out with an ice pick, but Shrek is determined to make a corkscrew work. This will be a big "WOW" for me...I had a glass of bubbly last week and plan on another today. I usually put about 4 months between drinks.

No black-eyed peas, etc. here even though it is somewhat of a tradition for our region.

We had a nice, lazy breakfast and just finished a couple of pork barbecue sandwiches from the pork we brought home yesterday from our motorcycle ride.

Right now, I'm kicking back and setting my battle plan for the gifts I plan to make for our family as gifts next Christmas. I love doing this and can't wait to start on the afghan I've chosen to make for Glenn's mom and the hat for his son's wife. I made Dana, his son's wife, a beautiful knitted scarf this year, which she loved and promised to make a hat to match for next year. She was delighted.

Basically, we're having a lovely, relaxing day. It's quite windy (wind advisory has been issued by the NWS), so I'm glad we had our motorcycle ride yesterday.

In short, we're enjoying a pleasant "slide" into 2012.

astis always bring a festive atmosphere to the occasion, don't they? provided they can be uncorked, of course. i had this tall and rather enormous can of "chelada" (beer w/clamato juice, salt & lime) to go with my hoppin' john last night. i shoulda had some asti--i have a good sturdy and serviceable corkscrew.:) my hoppin' was rather lackluster, though the chelada, after i added worcestershire, tabasco, v8, celery salt and pepper to it, added a nice little kick to the meal. i don't know where i went wrong with the hj, especially since i like all the ingredients a lot. it was ok, but rather pedestrian i thought. maybe my expectations were too high. new year's i'm looking for excitement and fireworks....:w00t::clap:

Personally, I don't care if we pick the cork out with an ice pick, but Shrek is determined to make a corkscrew work. This will be a big "WOW" for me...I had a glass of bubbly last week and plan on another today. I usually put about 4 months between drinks.

Wait a minute; are you opening a bottle of bubbly with a cork screw????

I saw that done with a bottle of Royale de Neuville in a Chinese restaurant once. It worked, but we all had to stifle giggles.

Wait a minute; are you opening a bottle of bubbly with a cork screw????

I saw that done with a bottle of Royale de Neuville in a Chinese restaurant once. It worked, but we all had to stifle giggles.

This cork is flush with the top of the bottle, it's really a bottle of Asti. You HAVE to use a corkscrew...we aren't dopes you know.:wacko: If it had been a champagne cork, no problem.

This cork is flush with the top of the bottle, it's really a bottle of Asti. You HAVE to use a corkscrew...we aren't dopes you know.:wacko: If it had been a champagne cork, no problem.

:LOL:

Isn't Asti a bubbly? Why doesn't it need a champagne style cork? Is less bubbly, sort of like Mateus?

I've never opened or even seen a bottle of Champagne opened. How and why are they different?

Thanks!

A champagne cork looks like this:

stock-photo-1755965-one-champagne-cork-serie-of-images.jpg

The wire and shape of cork are to keep it from popping out of the bottle prematurely from the pressure of the bubbles.

It sticks out of the top of the bottle from just above the narrow part of the cork.

On champagne the cork is half way outside the neck of the bottle. You twist it with a towel over it and gently work the cork out. Some folks like to showoff and open it so that the cork gives a popping sound and goes flying through the air. The chanpagne immediatly starts to flow out of the bottle. You have to get it to the glass really fast. Seems like a waste of good champagne to me. Not to mention the mess it makes. Champagne should be opened with care and very gently. :chef:

We are celebrating New Years day at a hotel with a water park. Our daughter is inviting a friend along. Looking forward to a relaxing night in the hot tub.

:LOL:

Isn't Asti a bubbly? Why doesn't it need a champagne style cork? Is less bubbly, sort of like Mateus?

No idea...I found this at Costco, the price was right, it's from Italy and I bought it. We didn't know we needed a corkscrew with it until we started opening it last night.

I don't know a Mateus from a Matisse.:)

When my son was interviewing he went to a wine shop and got a good deal. After each interview, he bought a bottle of wine that the owner recommended and would have been very expensive. But because he was going to be buying a lot, they reduced the price. He would send a thank you note with a bottle of wine to the person who interviewed him. He would bring the note to the store and give them the address and all the necessary information. They mailed it out for him at their expense.

This child is my baby and I still find it hard to see him drinking alcohol. He is 35 y.o. He is not old enough to drink. He is not old enough to have a wife and child either. And I want to know that he is in by dark. :ohmy: My little :angel:.

On champagne the cork is half way outside the neck of the bottle. You twist it with a towel over it and gently work the cork out. Some folks like to showoff and open it so that the cork gives a popping sound and goes flying through the air. The chanpagne immediatly starts to flow out of the bottle. You have to get it to the glass really fast. Seems like a waste of good champagne to me. Not to mention the mess it makes. Champagne should be opened with care and very gently. :chef:

I've seen them in movies where they pop the bottle open and it overflows all over the place. Seems messy and wasteful to me too.

When my son was interviewing he went to a wine shop and got a good deal. After each interview, he bought a bottle of wine that the owner recommended and would have been very expensive. But because he was going to be buying a lot, they reduced the price. He would send a thank you note with a bottle of wine to the person who interviewed him. He would bring the note to the store and give them the address and all the necessary information. They mailed it out for him at their expense.

This child is my baby and I still find it hard to see him drinking alcohol. He is 35 y.o. He is not old enough to drink. He is not old enough to have a wife and child either. And I want to know that he is in by dark. :ohmy: My little :angel:.

That was my reaction when we were told the grandson and his wife were expecting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom