"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #541
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Pain makes you stand, sit and walk in an abnormal posture. I know, you don't know me, but I am an RN and work with our wonderful elderly and watch them daily trying to NOT take pain meds...breaks my heart when I know it would do them only good. Good Luck, Addie!
I did give in tonight. I have arthritis in my hips and spine. I have finally decided that at my age, I don't need to have pain and since I came home from the hospital today, I have been taking the Vicodin like it has been prescribed for me. Two pills three time a day. I can get more accomplished when I do things right. Now I just need a magic pill to get past my lazy streak and stubbornness.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #542
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
Addie - you're circumstances are the same as my MIL - 8 wonderful kids, 17 amazing grandkids and 6 truly great grandkids ... I wish she was as able as you! I miss her advice and input. Probably TMI - but I don't believe in co-incidences.
__________________

__________________
luv2cook35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #543
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
Princess is right - please make yourself comfortable - you deserve it. I don't know you either, but one word or act of kindness is what I'm hoping for - so I'm long-winded and don't have only ONE word - maybe we can start a new thread?
__________________
luv2cook35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #544
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I did give in tonight. I have arthritis in my hips and spine. I have finally decided that at my age, I don't need to have pain and since I came home from the hospital today, I have been taking the Vicodin like it has been prescribed for me. Two pills three time a day. I can get more accomplished when I do things right. Now I just need a magic pill to get past my lazy streak and stubbornness.
Don't make me go all Rehab nurse on you! A little more every day, just take it easy, you've earned some downtime. Then when the pain seems to be a bit under control, take just one three times a day. Baby Steps!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #545
Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Don't make me go all Rehab nurse on you! A little more every day, just take it easy, you've earned some downtime. Then when the pain seems to be a bit under control, take just one three times a day. Baby Steps!
Right you are Princess -I got too excited with the similar circumstances - take your medical team's advice first.
__________________
luv2cook35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #546
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Don't make me go all Rehab nurse on you! A little more every day, just take it easy, you've earned some downtime. Then when the pain seems to be a bit under control, take just one three times a day. Baby Steps!
Every year I make the same resolution. Not to make any resolution. And I always keep it right through the year. This year I am going to make a new one. "Not to be so dang stubborn" My husband told me once that he never met anyone as stubborn as me.

Here it is 2:30 Wednesday. I have been up since 4:15 Tuesday morning. Why? Stubbornness. There was nothing I had to do that couldn't have waited until tomorrow. But that stubborn streak raised it ugly head. I just had to debone those chicken thighs and get them into the freezer. Do all the trash. Change my sheets on the bed. Do a load of whites. And a few more chores that I felt just couldn't wait. I am now so overtired, that I will have to shut off all the lights and the TV. I usually put the TV on sleep and go to sleep while it is still on. So starting right now, I am going to work on my streak of stubbornness and say "Good Night friends." The first thing I am going to work on is try to get on a regular schedule and stop pushing myself so hard. Ther is still more work I could have done, but it all can wait until tomorrow.l
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #547
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
T'will be tomorrow...he stayed home today because we had meetings in which he would NOT be the star of the show. No meetings tomorrow and we can play all day!
Reminds me of Monday when I took Dad to his Falls Prevention clinic. It is held at an assisted living complex and when we came out there was a woman walking her little poodle outside. I asked if she would mind showing the dog to Dad because it had (though much smaller) the exact face of his beloved poodle whom he had to put down five years ago because at 18 she was just not well any more. The lady said she was so glad that Dad had two knew dogs to love (our Violet and Joie) and that she brings the dog every day to see her husband, but all the residents and staff adore "Benjamin" and he soaks up all the attention!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #548
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,739
oh, so you're slacking off, eh addie????

just kidding. g'night.

even though i feel like crapola, all of the talk about hot dogs recently has me in my truck, ready to go to gray's papaya on 72nd for a couple o' dogs with kraut and mustard.

curse you, tasty wieners...
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #549
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Every year I make the same resolution. Not to make any resolution. And I always keep it right through the year. This year I am going to make a new one. "Not to be so dang stubborn" My husband told me once that he never met anyone as stubborn as me.

Here it is 2:30 Wednesday. I have been up since 4:15 Tuesday morning. Why? Stubbornness. There was nothing I had to do that couldn't have waited until tomorrow. But that stubborn streak raised it ugly head. I just had to debone those chicken thighs and get them into the freezer. Do all the trash. Change my sheets on the bed. Do a load of whites. And a few more chores that I felt just couldn't wait. I am now so overtired, that I will have to shut off all the lights and the TV. I usually put the TV on sleep and go to sleep while it is still on. So starting right now, I am going to work on my streak of stubbornness and say "Good Night friends." The first thing I am going to work on is try to get on a regular schedule and stop pushing myself so hard. Ther is still more work I could have done, but it all can wait until tomorrow.l
I was the night nurse for 13 years, I want you to get some good sleep and stay out of my hair!!! Seriously, you can't hope to get stronger if you keep wearing yourself out, that's not the way to do it. Do you realize, for every day people our age stay in the hospital it takes one week of recovery? That means you have at least two or three weeks to get yourself back on track. Take it easy, all of what you worked on all night is all for naught if you end up back in the hospital. {{{{{Addie}}}}}
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #550
Senior Cook
 
kezlehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 340
Making my mum a cheesecake as a belated birthday present :)
__________________

__________________
kezlehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.