What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor Shrek, he's so abused. Sitting over there eating the homemade hamburger he wanted, even though he knew there was no burger or buns in the house...and ice cream for dessert. Poor Shrek.

You sound like a little girl playing dressup in her Mommy's jewelry. :angel:

You got it, Addie! Poor old lady, I was able to untangle years of her neck chains that her arthritis wouldn't let her do. Now they're hanging on my herb rack. Mom loved her costume jewelry! I also have a box of single clip-on earrings and bunches of cheap rings and bracelets. Sibs aren't interested, though my sister wants the wedding rings, probably so she can sell them.

Last edited:
You got it, Addie! Poor old lady, I was able to untangle years of her neck chains that her arthritis wouldn't let her do. Now they're hanging on my herb rack. Mom loved her costume jewelry! I also have a box of single clip-on earrings and bunches of cheap rings and bracelets. Sibs aren't interested, though my sister wants the wedding rings, probably so she can sell them.

Check to make sure the chains are the real thing. I think you should keep the heaviest wedding ring yourself. :angel:

Check to make sure the chains are the real thing. I think you should keep the heaviest wedding ring yourself. :angel:

None are real. Funny, I looked up how to check for "real" gold. One site suggested a magnet. Real gold doesn't stick to a magnet. I opened a small plastic packet of stuff in one of Mom's jewelry crap, and there was a whole bunch of stuff stuck to something. Turned out it was a set of very strong magnets. Very useful!

Good morning. I am just getting up and trying to wake up to go to work. We have a brunch on Sundays. 7:30 start time for a 9:00 opening. I like being back in food service but don't like the weekend work. It's even more fun(not) when I play with the band the night before. Nothing like going to work on 3 hours sleep.

You are doing well Rock, keep up the good work and get some sleep :)

I'm parading around wearing Mom's costume jewelry that I've been sorting through...Will have to give a bunch to Goodwill.

You could also check with any resale shops in the area. Some parts of the country have a big demand for that kind of stuff. Or if you have a community theatre nearby, offer it to them. Trust me, any little theatre I've done stuff with loves getting all sorts of period things. Most have a very nicely maintained costume and props department. Just be careful if you're IN a show and don't get back in time to pull the items you loaned for the run of the show....:(

It is just after five a.m. and I just had to turn the heat back on.

I was looking at my shopping list and it is going to be a long one this time. I have to stock up for the summer. My daughter every weekend has a BBQ in her yard and I always bring or even just send something. A cake, potato salad, macoroni salad, baked beans, cookies, etc. Always one of her childhood favorites. And her family never says no either.

I talked with her yesterday. She is feeling good. But now her doctors are telling her more and more what to expect. Her brain is still swollen so they can't tell from the MRI just what the cancer is doing. At the begining they told her she would be taking the chemo pills for one year. Now they are telling her that some patients are on them for 18 months, two or even three years before they can tell what is going on. It may take that long for the swelling to go down. Well, she is not discouraged, but she is angry that they are not giving her the whole picture. "How can I rebuild my life if I don't know what to expect?" I managed to calm her down and remind her that not only she, but everyone that knows her are happy that they are saying she might be on the chemo for three years, but they expect her to be alive for three years. She hadn't looked at it that way. She is also going through her wardrobe to get ready to go back to work. I think that is the best thing she can do. She will work part time three weeks out of the month. Enough to protect her benefits. :angel:

Hey, it is a holiday weekend. Take some time off and enjoy it. The house will be there long after you. :angel:

... and it will be long after me; it was built in 1863! Not the bathroom, obviously, we place it at around 1900 for the structure, 60s for the fixtures. I had to re-do the floors myself a few years back because they were in desperate need. The sub-floor we hired pros for (we were afraid, really afraid, that we would fall through the floor and had no idea what is underneath!). The next time we save up enough $$$ for home work (the last two savings have been for re-roofing, the one before that for kitchen walls), I think that floor will be it. I'd like tile, but, in fact, it would raise the level of the floor too much. Husband is thinking laminate. It'll be awhile, though. Meanwhile ... it really doesn't matter, that floor needs to be scrubbed thoroughly at least once a month (I mean really hands-and-knees, as opposed to the swipe here and there it gets every few days). But today is just relaxation simply because I did work a lot yesterday. Put in the last of my seeds (with our constant rain, a good time for weeding and seeding) and finished up spring housecleaning. Today a few friends will drop by for drinks and snacks, and we'll segue into hopefully better weather.

Claire, I once lived in a house that was built in the early 1700's. It still had the original wide floor boards. You could see the axe marks. And they made for great splinters for the bare feet. All the coats of paint over the years could not keep those spinters down. :angel:

Been enjoying being outside spending time watering all the lovely plants, with Bella's help, of course. Don't think I was doing it correctly today as she was constantly chattering as I went. She's a very sociable kitty and loves her mommy and daddy, especially her daddy.

Just finished making the base for fresh strawberry ice cream. We've had some fantastic strawberries this week and have enjoyed them every way possible. Yum!

Tried out the new toaster oven on...toast...dries it out too much. But, since it is also a convection oven it will do a lot more than just toast. Roasting some meat balls later for Shrek's Beef lo mein.

You could also check with any resale shops in the area. Some parts of the country have a big demand for that kind of stuff. Or if you have a community theatre nearby, offer it to them. Trust me, any little theatre I've done stuff with loves getting all sorts of period things. Most have a very nicely maintained costume and props department. Just be careful if you're IN a show and don't get back in time to pull the items you loaned for the run of the show....:(

Great ideas, CG! Thanks!

Tried out the new toaster oven on...toast...dries it out too much. But, since it is also a convection oven it will do a lot more than just toast. Roasting some meat balls later for Shrek's Beef lo mein.

Were you using a toaster oven before for toast?
I haven't found a toaster oven yet that doesn't dry out toast more than a toaster does. Probably because the coils are further away and it takes longer. You need to start liking lighter toast and it will be better.

Back
Top Bottom