"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #5591
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
I love the truck. But then I love to live in yesteryear. It is nice to see that someone else appreciates well made vehicles. No computer in that one. I remember hauling the pigs to North Truro for slaughter in a truck like that. Floor shift, make an H. Very few dials on the dashboard.
Thanks. We love it too. A lot of people put in an automatic transmission when they rebuild these trucks, but we have a standard transmission (the stick shift you remember). We got this truck because Hubby's dad had one like it when Hubby was a little boy. It was really rough when we got it. Heating and AC are the next things to go into it. It has never had it before. It also only had one windshield wiper (on the driver side) , so that was another change that had to be made. It seems funny when we go 75 MPH down the highway in a truck made so long ago. Needless to say, the motor is not the original one. ;)

Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #5592
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been to a couple of car shows. There are the regular classics. '55 Chevy, orginal T-Bird, Mustang, 55 Ford Fairlane, etc. But it is the vehicles of the 30's and 40's that get the most attention. The biggest draw was the engines of the old trucks. The men just pour over them and drool. Then you get some farm woman who grew up with them and tell them the name of all the parts and the men just stand there and stare at her. They learned at a very young age how to drive them, stick shift and all, and repair them.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #5593
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It's adorable! Reminds me a bit of Mater! In much better shape of course.
Of course Mater...but a done up Mater
Old 09-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #5594
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have been to a couple of car shows. There are the regular classics. '55 Chevy, orginal T-Bird, Mustang, 55 Ford Fairlane, etc. But it is the vehicles of the 30's and 40's that get the most attention. The biggest draw was the engines of the old trucks. The men just pour over them and drool. Then you get some farm woman who grew up with them and tell them the name of all the parts and the men just stand there and stare at her. They learned at a very young age how to drive them, stick shift and all, and repair them.
Addie,

Your post reminded me of my mother.

When she was 90 the assisted living facility had a classic car show and the CNA asked my mother if she would like to attend. My mother said I don't think so dear, I rode in most of them when they were new!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #5595
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Addie,

Your post reminded me of my mother.

When she was 90 the assisted living facility had a classic car show and the CNA asked my mother if she would like to attend. My mother said I don't think so dear, I rode in most of them when they were new!
When I married my first husband, we had a '48 Chevy Roaster with a bumble seat and the starter was on the floor. I loved that car.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #5596
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It is 6:10 a.m. and I have to be up in 2 hours for church, and what am I doing? Reading. I cannot put the stupid book down! Yes, I am finally reading "The Hunger Games." I ordered all three books from ebay and have gotten the first two. I had absolutely no intention of watching the movie or reading the books. I liked the movie and I love the book!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #5597
Chef Extraordinaire

We just got home from the weekend away. Went up north about 150 miles. Dh's nephew got married & we catered the meal. It was a fun weekend but it feels great to come home.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #5598
Chef Extraordinaire

SB, welcome back!

Sounds like a lovely time

I am off to see my surgeon very shortly, it has been 4.5 months since my shoulder operation but it still hurts a lot at times, so I just want to check on it

Lovely sunny day here
Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #5599
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Thanks. Yes it's been awhile. It has been on the road over a year now though.
That is wonderful Chopper...bet it drives like a dream
Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #5600
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I just finished cutting James's hair. If you had told me months ago that I would be cutting his hair, I would have said you were nuts! He found a really nice hair cutting set that guides me through it though, and so far (twice), so good.