"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #5721
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper

Glad you got through it!
Thanks, Chopper! For anyone who travels a lot, I think it's a good deal. Those immigration lines coming back into the US last forever, and if you have a tight connection, you might be out of luck to get the next flight.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #5722
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Imagine you have received a diagnosis of diabetes or high cholesterol. Now think of each food you are offered as having a medication or a syringe attached to it. How willing are you to take that medication or stick your self with a needle in order to eat it? Is it worth it?

This may not work for everyone, but it certainly helped me while I was pre-diabetic for over 10 years.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #5723
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Getting ready to go to a food trade show with a local food wholesaler we use at work. It's a good opportunity to see what is new out on the market. The problem is they always want you to taste everything. It will be a challenge now with my new eating lifestyle.
I tell folks when I don't want to try something, "I am a diabetic and have reached my carb intake for the day and I have a lot of food allergies. My throat closes up." Works everytime.

My favorite people are the ones who tell me their uncle is a diabetic and he eats cake, etc. all the time. "Tell you what, I will have a sex change operation and become your uncle. Then I will eat like he does." You always have to give the answer they are not expecting. It stops them in their tracks.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #5724
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That is the type of thing that I am trying to work on in my diet routine.

I have been trying to just eat a normal diet within the guidelines for a person at an ideal weight and the pounds have been coming off slowly.

I am doing pretty well when eating at home and during a familiar routine. What I am now working on is sort of thinking on my feet to make realistic choices in any situation without feeling like I have blown it for the day. This has not been easy and any tips or tricks that others use would be helpful.
If a salad plate is a choice over a dinner plate, choose the salad plate. You will put less food on it. And if you are not at home, try to pick a protein over a carb. Too often when we are not at home, we grab a sandwich. Bad choice. Pick a salad with some meat on the side.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #5725
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Imagine you have received a diagnosis of diabetes or high cholesterol. Now think of each food you are offered as having a medication or a syringe attached to it. How willing are you to take that medication or stick your self with a needle in order to eat it? Is it worth it?

This may not work for everyone, but it certainly helped me while I was pre-diabetic for over 10 years.
Yes, measure do I live or do I die. I'll take the first answer. LIVE sure we don't like a needle poke but it allows us to eat be more normal and enjoy our lives. Good one PF
ma
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #5726
Chef Extraordinaire

We bought a new digital camera yesterday, so today I am going out to buy a case for it.

Then over to mums as we are giving her our older camera and bag as she goes away a lot so we thought it would be nice for her to have a nice digital camera..our previous one is only a few years old and it great...we just wanted an upgrade... more zoom etc
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #5727
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Good point. Wish I would have read this before I went to the food show. I feel like I didn't overeat just tasted alot of different foods then a couple of cocktails. Just got home & ready for bed. Glad I got 35 minutes in on the elliptical this afternoon. Tomorrow is a new day with better eating choices.Thanks again for the insight.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #5728
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Good point. Wish I would have read this before I went to the food show. I feel like I didn't overeat just tasted alot of different foods then a couple of cocktails. Just got home & ready for bed. Glad I got 35 minutes in on the elliptical this afternoon. Tomorrow is a new day with better eating choices.Thanks again for the insight.
I would be a horrible person to go to a food show now, put on by vendors. I would drive them nuts with ingredient lists and refusing to eat certain things because of those ingredients. But, back when I worked retail, I was not that picky.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #5729
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
SB, over the next several months you are going to have moments of weakness. Don't beat yourself over it. Just make a resolve that tomorrow you will try to do better. If you find these vendor shows too much temptation, then make an excuse, even if it is to yourself, and spend the time with your family. Find something you really enjoy doing and indulge yourself. Will these vendors go out of business if you are not there? Okay, so you need to know what is new and out there. Read up on them in trade magazines. The day will come when you are strong enough to go to these shows and control your eating. It will be like second nature to you.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #5730
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I would be a horrible person to go to a food show now, put on by vendors. I would drive them nuts with ingredient lists and refusing to eat certain things because of those ingredients. But, back when I worked retail, I was not that picky.
When I was first diagnosed with type 2, I tried all the sugar subs. They all left a metal taste in my mouth. So I told myself, if I can have sugar in just my coffee, I will give up all other sugar related foods.

My son recently bought me some breafkfast sausages. They had maple syrup and brown sugar in them. I took one bite and it was like I had dived head first into a sugar bin. Today, I am so used to not having sugar in my diet at all, that when I come across any food that does have it, it is the one flavor that to me is overpowering. And my body just can't tolerate it. You do get used to a diet if you stick to it long enough.