"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #5761
Head Chef

You've given me a poke, LP, to make a trip to the Chemical Waste drop-off in our county. There are a number of burned out fluorescent bulbs and a couple of ex-fire extinguishers in the garage that need to be carted away. I'm very glad there is a designated place to take stuff like this.

Hope you're feeling better this morning.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #5762
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
You've given me a poke, LP, to make a trip to the Chemical Waste drop-off in our county. There are a number of burned out fluorescent bulbs and a couple of ex-fire extinguishers in the garage that need to be carted away. I'm very glad there is a designated place to take stuff like this.
Hope you're feeling better this morning.
We have laws here in Mass. regarding disposal of car batteries, oil, etc. Unfortunately, a lot of folks put these items in large plastic bags, and find a large dumpster in their neighborhood and at night drop these items off.

We have a neighbor across the street, and every Wednesday night he was coming here to put his garbage in our dumpster. (Thursday is trash day.) So one day I went out when he could see me taking a picture of his house and car plates. When he asked me what I was doing, I also told him while I was taking his picture that I was going to report him. We never saw him come across the street again with large green bags in hand. I failed to understand why he did this. There is no separate charge for trash pickup. And we have curb pickup for recyclables. The city even provides receptacLes for these items. I did notice that he never had trash cans out on Thursday. Was he too cheap to buy trash barrels?

Also if you have a large item such as a washer or fridge, they send out a separate truck for these items. There is a small charge for these. And you have to put a sticker on them to show you paid the fee. We have only one complaint regarding trash pickup. You don't want to get caught in your car behind a trash truck on a narrow street.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #5763
Head Chef

The drop-off was exceedingly easy. It was drive-through, and two guys came out immediately and took the bulbs & extinguisher. I asked if they have a trade-in deal for paints -- that is, do they sell as well as receive. Unfortunately, no - they just take it and it's gone. I have a bad habit of saving leftover paint, but almost never finding another use for that color. I should just give it to them. On second thought, maybe Habitat for Humanity would take it and resell it. Must look into that.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #5764
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The drop-off was exceedingly easy. It was drive-through, and two guys came out immediately and took the bulbs & extinguisher. I asked if they have a trade-in deal for paints -- that is, do they sell as well as receive. Unfortunately, no - they just take it and it's gone. I have a bad habit of saving leftover paint, but almost never finding another use for that color. I should just give it to them. On second thought, maybe Habitat for Humanity would take it and resell it. Must look into that.
We do the same thing with leftover paint - keep it but it isn't enough to do anything with.

When my neighbour's daughter moved on the other side of her she asked if we had any paint we didn't need. We handed it over. She put this unfinished dresser on a sheet of plastic on the front lawn and let her 2 daughters go at it. They had a blast throwing paint on it, doodling, etc. and it looked so cool when they were finished, sort of tie-dyed! It was an idea in the IKEA catalogue and turned out nicer than the one in the picture!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #5765
Sous Chef

Sitting here waiting for the numbness in my mouth to go away and the pain to begin :/ I had my very back tooth extracted today. I also had to take my little one to the DR. He has a ear infection in both ears! Fun times, fun times.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #5766
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Sitting here waiting for the numbness in my mouth to go away and the pain to begin :/ I had my very back tooth extracted today. I also had to take my little one to the DR. He has a ear infection in both ears! Fun times, fun times.
(((Hugs)))

Well, at least you got the tooth dealt with. Did you get a 'script for some good pain killers?

(((Hugs))) to your little one and wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #5767
Certified Cake Maniac

Hugs to you and your little one, Merlot. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #5768
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs)))

Well, at least you got the tooth dealt with. Did you get a 'script for some good pain killers?

(((Hugs))) to your little one and wishes for a speedy recovery.
Thank you!

They gave me loratab, I also have some 800 mg IBUprofin from before. I hate pain medicine but I can already feel it trying to hurt.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #5769
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Hugs to you and your little one, Merlot. I hope you are both feeling better soon.
Thank you :)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #5770
Chef Extraordinaire

I have just been on the exercise bike and had a nice shower

Hope you both feel better soon Merlot