What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just came in from the morning watering of the outside plants and am still enjoying the great results I see using the homemade "Roundup." In the attached picture, you can see where I've sprayed the stuff along the edge of our long front porch. The porch is about 60 feet long and it's a challenge for Glenn to get the tractor mower up against the space to trim well. So...I decided to see how the homemade weed killer would work.

I sprayed the space about a month ago and then gave it a bit of a "booster" two days later. No sign of any new growth and the old vegetation has given up completely. The best thing is that rain has no effect on it at all. We've had nothing short of flood-like rains here for weeks. There's a solid 8-inch wide area the length of the porch that is dead, dead, deadski. Yeah!!!!!!
Katie, could I get your "recipe" for the homemade roundup you made. Gil is looking for help for the yard. :LOL:
kades

I have house guests from out of state for a week, and I'm waiting for them to return from a tour we set them out on. It was a good break; we're both childless couples (us, completely; him with an adult married kid, she, like me, completely childless-by-choice) --in other words, all of us used to doing whatever we want when we want to. So I've tried to arrange alone time for them as well as us so we aren't constantly on top of each other. It has worked well, I think.

Nice, Claire! We have a guy and his wife coming to visit, he and Shrek were in the Navy together...many years ago. I will definitely feel out of place, they are all at least 15 years older than me. Shrek and his friend Barney Miller (he's a police detective) will be talking about things forever and I will be "entertaining" Mrs. Miller.

We had a fabulous evening at mums last night!

The veal parmigiana and the french onion wedges were totally delicious :yum:

I had several glasses of red wine, very nice :)

The carrot cake (birthday cake) was soooo tasty and moist, went down a treat! It was just such a nice night out!

Today is relaxation day as we have had a very big weeks holiday so far, so a nice day in will be lovely :)

Nice, Claire! We have a guy and his wife coming to visit, he and Shrek were in the Navy together...many years ago. I will definitely feel out of place, they are all at least 15 years older than me. Shrek and his friend Barney Miller (he's a police detective) will be talking about things forever and I will be "entertaining" Mrs. Miller.

I went to put this on a personal reply and then realized I don't know how to do that. Oh, well.

This time it was the opposite for me. This is my high school friend and her husband. Our husbands are opposite as can be, but get along well. In other words it was more stressful for them than for us! Both she and I have had very stressful years, illness and deaths in family & friends. So when both our situations calmed I suggested a visit to the Midwest for them (California is not relaxing for me). They took me up on it, and I'm trying to make sure we have separate, alone time as well as together activities. I highly recommend sending your guests off on sight-seeing and such. Montana is so beautiful, does Shrek fish, hike, any of that stuff? Send the three of them off on a fishing trip or some such, and make excuses for yourself (gee, I need to say home for ....). Not often, but just enough time for breathing space.

Princess, when I have had out of town visitors, I am fortunate that Boston is full of history. So I take them on the Freedom Trail.

Then I went on a vacation with a friend that grew up in the projects. I would commit suicide before I would live there. A cement jungle. So we went out west. He had never seen a real cow, so I planned a visit to a working ranch. When we arrived they were tagging the steers and doing other nice things to them. Like clipping their ears and other body parts. He was absolutely enthralled. I also made sure we saw a rodeo. He couldn't get over how adept the kids were riding the horses and handling the animals. He had never seen mountains. So we spent a whole day up in the Cascade Mountains. We stopped at a spot where a family was camping. There was still snow on the ground, yet the whole family was swimming in the lake. He got to see live deer in the forest and even an elk. I made sure that for the ten days we were out west, he got his full taste of western living. It was a vacation he will never forget. I was exhausted. :angel:

Last edited:
We will be going to Glacier...that will be nice, I don't know what kind of activity level they have. Shrek's only activity is brain waves.:rolleyes:

Shrek also can't seem to pin them down for a date and I have to request vacation time a month in advance, so July is already out for me. I may HAVE to use that as an excuse. I've been holding off requesting vacation time because of this "planned" visit. It's almost July and I haven't had any appreciable time off. I'm tired!

We will be going to Glacier...that will be nice, I don't know what kind of activity level they have. Shrek's only activity is brain waves.:rolleyes:

Shrek also can't seem to pin them down for a date and I have to request vacation time a month in advance, so July is already out for me. I may HAVE to use that as an excuse. I've been holding off requesting vacation time because of this "planned" visit. It's almost July and I haven't had any appreciable time off. I'm tired!

Pin that man down, and take that vacation! You deserve a break!

Katie, could I get your "recipe" for the homemade roundup you made. Gil is looking for help for the yard. :LOL:
kades

It's really quite simple and very inexpensive. Probably no more than $3.00 for a whole gallon of the stuff.

All you need is a gallon of white vinegar (5% acidity minimum), 1 cup iodized table salt, and 1/4 cup liquid dish detergent (like Dawn). Mix everything together and put into a spray bottle or use a sprayer if you have one. Spray the foliage well and then the base of the vegetation you wish to kill. Saturate on the first pass. We did and haven't really had to do any touch-ups. Maybe just a few little spots but, then, only a few days later just to be thorough.

Glenn is amazed at how well it works and the stuff has solved a problem he had for years and years near the garage door. Can't remember when we sprayed that area, probably nearing 2 months now, but there's NO sign of any vegetation.

We also learned, to our wonder and joy, that it also kills the heck out of poison ivy and poison oak, which we have in abundance here.

breast biopsy report.......

NEGATIVE !!

Oh happy day!! The first thing out of my mouth was "thank you Lord"!! Then I cried like a baby, then I threw up. TMI?
Thanks for holding your breath with me, dear ones.
I was REALLY SCARED. Phew!!! :clap::punk::clap:

Oh Kayelle that is wonderful news. Congratulations. Now you can relax a little after such a stressful period of time.

I'm sitting here thinking about breasts.
Hey, it's not my fault! :LOL:

Are you having chicken tonight, or just being a guy!?

I have had a busy day. I mowed some of the lawn, baked pumpkin spice bread, and baked cookies. Now I have dough rising for pizza.

Are you having chicken tonight, or just being a guy!?

I have had a busy day. I mowed some of the lawn, baked pumpkin spice bread, and baked cookies. Now I have dough rising for pizza.

Just reading the What are you doing thread... :angel:

mmmm, pumpkin spice bread. That sounds like something that would go well with a glass of cold milk :yum:

Back
Top Bottom