What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zhizara helped me solve the spice storage problem when she introduced me to clear plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store.

I now have everything in three boxes, one for baking spices and extracts, one for cooking spices and herbs and one to hold all of the OMG what was I thinking items.

When I am cooking I just pull out the appropriate box and find everything I need. All of the spills are in the box not the cupboard. Once a year I just toss the contents of the OMG box in the trash and start over. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Zhizara helped me solve the spice storage problem when she introduced me to clear plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store.

I now have everything in three boxes, one for baking spices and extracts, one for cooking spices and herbs and one to hold all of the OMG what was I thinking items.

When I am cooking I just pull out the appropriate box and find everything I need. All of the spills are in the box not the cupboard. Once a year I just toss the contents of the OMG box in the trash and start over. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That's the part I have to learn...

I still have Penzey bags with spices in them sitting on the bread maker I haven't used in a while :ermm: The spice cupboard is full.

105F?! That's pretty warm. No wonder your corn came in so early.

I just got in from shooting with a buddy. He brought his youngest son over for his first time shooting. It was fun teaching him and he must have been listening to us because you could see his groups tightening and hitting all around the bullseye.
Time for some AC.

I need a box like that and to learn to get rid of them.

I keep the "baking" spices & extract in the cupboard to the right of the stove. But, a lot of those get used in regular cooking, like allspice and cloves. I just remembered the other carousel on that shelf: vinegars, hot sauces, EVOO, tamari, Worcestershire, and similar. That carousel is overloaded.

I swear I am going to go through the apartment and get rid of of anything I have not touched in the last 6 months. My stuff...not talking about Shrek's guitars...

We have been able to clear out stuff we haven't touched for awhile through our recent room shuffle. Only problem is, TB the pack rat will say "My Dad would take those (totally worn out) shoes", Maybe the homeless would like these (totally threadbare and full of holes) socks", "are you sure I won't wear this (three sizes too small) shirt again?"

I just nod in agreement, put them aside and toss them when he isn't looking. :angel:

I use the plastic shoe boxes for my different flours, sugar, etc. as I buy everything (regular and gluten free) in bulk. I know what sizes of each thing fit the boxes and then never have bags hanging around. I ran them through the dishwasher when I first got them and wash them between fills - they are pretty food safe since they never contained shoes! They stack in my pantry really well. Maybe I should get some more for my etceteras!

I figured out how to make a mobile hotspot out of my iPhone, so I can now actually see what I'm typing on my iPad, rather than using that teeny phone! Yay!

Still recovering from our all-school reunion last night, such fun reconnecting with old friends and classmates!

Oh, and I was able to tolerate the sibs and their progeny for a week! I am exhausted.

Last edited:
I live in an apartment along with about 300 other apartments. I get a box of "commodities" once a month. I keep the box in the foyer area and place unused/ill-fitting clothes etc., etc., etc.

When it is full, I take the box downstairs to the Common Area and leave it on a table so that they can be recycled by others.

I also love to shop, but don't have much storage, so I always need to make room for more stuff.

I like your idea, PF. I too have a few Penzey's freebies that I don't like or use. They are going into my goodwill box right now. More cabinet space! Yay!

I live in an apartment along with about 300 other apartments. I get a box of "commodities" once a month. I keep the box in the foyer area and place unused/ill-fitting clothes etc., etc., etc.

When it is full, I take the box downstairs to the Common Area and leave it on a table so that they can be recycled by others.

I also love to shop, but don't have much storage, so I always need to make room for more stuff.

I like your idea, PF. I too have a few Penzey's freebies that I don't like or use. They are going into my goodwill box right now. More cabinet space! Yay!

I take things like that to work and leave it in the breakroom. When we went on Atkin's, eons ago, I removed all the diet offending foods and took them to work. It all disappeared within 3 hours.

We just got home. It was a great 4 days off! Went kayaking on the 4th for 5 hours, very relaxing out on the lake. Then we went & spent the weekend at mom's. Got to see 2 of my brothers & 1 of my sisters while we were there. Nice to be home, back to reality tomorrow.

I just changed my hot water tank. $514 I did not intend to spend on something that I could not have fun with. The last tank I changed was seven years ago and was around 350 or so... I imagine if this one goes in seven years I will not be able to get the old one out of the basement myself :(

I just changed my hot water tank. $514 I did not intend to spend on something that I could not have fun with. The last tank I changed was seven years ago and was around 350 or so... I imagine if this one goes in seven years I will not be able to get the old one out of the basement myself :(

That's exactly why I had my Dad do the renovations on their retirement home 15 years ago...now he can't do the work. They finished up about 3 years ago and it's all handicap accessible.

Exactly. Gotta plan ahead.
The next water heater I change could very well be one of those small inline heaters, lol.

Back
Top Bottom