"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #5981
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are right about the house, "unless" she states otherwise in her will. She wants her son to get her half. But then she has a daughter. I doubt she wants the house. She is more interested in the night life.
I don't know about in the States, but if the deed has the parties listed as "tenants in common," then she can will her 1/2 of the house to whomever she wants. If joint tenancy, then the surviving party on the title is the sole owner and I don't think she can will her share because joint tenancy means that both parties own 100% of the house with right of survivorship. What they can do is add her son to the title, or remove her from the title and add her son. This usually is more expensive. Adding s/one to the title is usually less expensive and doesn't entail two title transfers. She has time to do this and it shouldn't be too expensive.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #5982
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Nice, Kylie!

Picked the rest of the tomatoes (green), cukes and peppers, we may or may not get a freeze tonight. I think I'll cover the cherry toms and leave them out.

Love the avatar too, CW!
If you cannot cover the tomatoes pull the plants up by the roots and hang them in the garage or basement. They will continue to ripen, on the vine, for a few weeks.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #5983
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

If you cannot cover the tomatoes pull the plants up by the roots and hang them in the garage or basement. They will continue to ripen, on the vine, for a few weeks.
Thanks! Will have to try that. I've actually brought the whole big pot of cherry toms inside in previous years, and we've had cherry toms in January. The big toms are now picked. Bye bye summer.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #5984
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are right about the house, "unless" she states otherwise in her will. She wants her son to get her half. But then she has a daughter. I doubt she wants the house. She is more interested in the night life.
I am so very sorry to hear about your daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care. DC is a wonderfully supportive place to bring all of your concerns.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #5985
Chef Extraordinaire

PF found the avitar for me. I too love it!

Rocky has 6 new hens. They are on their way out to the farm under cover of darkness. They will be installed in the 30 x 40 ft barn (2-storey), out during the day when s/one is there (one or both us are usually out there 2-3 days/week). Rocky's probably glad to be out of my clutches and being rocked to sleep...

I only ended up with 6 turkeys, not counting the one that is thawing for Monday or Tuesday. I have to hit another store tomorrow...probably won't be any left. Oh well, maybe they will go on sale before Christmas so we can score the others. I want to thaw one, cut it up, brine the legs and breast, and then smoke them. I have been wanting to do that for over a year. I will probably pull one of the smaller ones out of the freezer next Sunday, thaw it, and do that for the following weekend.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #5986
Chef Extraordinaire

I had just gotten ready to call it a day when I heard all this crashing about in the pasture (hay) on the other side of my fence. Awfully big raccoon, I thought. I caught flashing lights through the windbreak--two police cars on the road. Hmmm....back into my clothes, head out in the dark to find out what is going on.

The neighbour's dairy cows (15 of them) are wandering around in the ditch, my neighbour's field, the other side of the road. The police are stopping traffic.

"Hi--do you know who owns the cows?" (I had an ulterior motive, s/one knocked on my door this morning at an uncivilized hour to come calling to tell me my cows were on the road.)

Earlier today:
Bang! Bang! Bang! (the sound of knocking on my door).

"Not my cows." (Can you tell this has happened before?)

"Oh, well they are on the road."

"I can see that, but they are not my cows."

Back inside, flip open the phone book, dial the number (I have it written down--that should tell you how many times s/one has knocked on my door to tell me my cows are on the road.)

My call went to voice mail. I left a message and went back to bed.

Ten minutes later, more banging on my door (I have a locked gate, but obviously commuters on their way to work think nothing of walking around a locked gate).

Before the man could open his mouth, I said, "they're not my cows."

Back to this evening's chat with the local police officers. The officers knew who owned the cows, but no one was home so they were trying to prevent an accident. As I stood there talking with them, my neighbour, the sheep farmer, showed up on his ATV and herded the three cows that were in his pasture out of his pasture. I joined in the herding of the cows back to their pasture. (I do not recommend wearing Crocs if you are going to herd cows down a gravel road in the dark).

The problem? The gate was open. My neighbour managed to get 10 more back on their side of the gate, but the remaining two went into the trees. At this point, I figured the police and my neighbour had things under control, so back in the house. The police are now gone, my dog has stopped barking, and I just hope no one knocks on my door tonight or early tomorrow morning to tell me my cows are on the road. They are NOT my cows! Mine wouldn't be on the road, they'd be locked up with the girls for the night.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #5987
Chef Extraordinaire

So, were they your cows? (ducking and running) You should have taken one with a full looking bag just for the milk. You could probably get a couple of milkings before the owner came looking for it. Let the cream rise to the top and make some butter. What is left over is buttermilk. Great for biscuits.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #5988
Certified Cake Maniac

I agree with Addie! Obviously the cows don't like it at their place, maybe they are jealous of all the loving attention the girls get!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #5989
Chef Extraordinaire

So what am I doing? Well, I live in a rather dark apartment. I have three windows that are supposed ot let in some light. Ha! A big joke. If I leave the blinds open in the big room, folks who are wiating for the elevator in the hall, usually stand at the window while waiting. They can look directly into my apartment. And if I leave the two story blinds open, it is on the ground floor and folks walking by can look right into my apartment. So I have them opened turned up. I can't even tell you if it is sunny out or raining. Doesn't let in much light. As result, I have four lamps and at least two of them are turned on all day. They weren't giving off that much light. For fiive years I have been living in darkness.

So my son comes once again to my rescue. He showed up with Daylight White squiggly light bulbs for all four lamps and the overhead light. I feel like I have a Hollywood spotlight on me. What a differnce. He brought eight of them and so I still have some replacements. I have finally seen the light!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #5990
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I agree with Addie! Obviously the cows don't like it at their place, maybe they are jealous of all the loving attention the girls get!
When the owner comes for his cow, I think she should inform him that there is a fee for feeding and housing the animal.