"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #6041
Executive Chef

It's leftover turkey day today. I am making up some small turkey pot pies. I just finished making stock, bones are in the garbage and have started to simmer the veggies and dark meat. I will add the potatoe, peas and white meat in about 15 minutes, then thicken. It's going to cool while I go for a walk and stuff. Then I will make some pies later this afternoon.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #6042
Honey Badger

Taking the day off. As soon as I can find some heat wraps for my hands and leg.

Must have stood too long yesterday, pulled a calf muscle. The less I do with my hands today the better. Aging is becoming an interesting hobby

Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #6043
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I did temp work for more than 20 years. I loved it. You can't get fired, only released. And in between jobs, I would collect unemployment. Some jobs weren't as temp as I would have liked. But the pay was good. I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical for more than three years. Some jobs were fun and some monotonous. I am one of those folks that like filing. I like making order out of chaos. And most files in big companies are a disaster.
This is a job is at a call center. It was listed as "Long term temporary". It isn't through a temp company. It is the same place and I started there in Jan this year and this was my 3 lay off and 1 cut back in hours. This lay off was almost 4 months. No unemployment because I think you need to work 26 weeks straight before you can collect and I haven't.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #6044
Chef Extraordinaire

Indian Summer is over. I woke up this morning and my apartment was freezing. I finally got up at 11 a.m. and dragging my blanket with me, I looked at the thermometer. It was 68F. in here. That is way too cold for me. I have had both windows open enough so that whatever wind was blowing out in the right direction, it came right in here. Even the walls are cold. The trees should be in full color in the coming week.

My daughter called. Sure enough the past three days have caught up with her. She forgot that there is a big difference between standing on a wood floor in your home and standing on a cement sidewalk for three hours. She went to bed at seven last night and slept right through the night. Her husband made a nice breakfast for her and cleaned up after. Now she is ready for her nap. She is pushing too hard for her recovery. She needs to slow down.

For me, today I am going to try to finish cleaning the kitchen that I started last night. It is starting to get cozy warm in here. I might even make a pie. My SIL is supposed to stop by later in the day with a dish of pasta and my daughter's gravy. That will be my supper. I need to change my bed linens. And I might, just might do a load of whites. We will see. I have all these grand plans. Let's see if I have the energy to follow through.

To all our Canadien friends, Happy Thanksgiving. Eat hearty!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #6045
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

For me, today I am going to try to finish cleaning the kitchen that I started last night. It is starting to get cozy warm in here. I might even make a pie. My SIL is supposed to stop by later in the day with a dish of pasta and my daughter's gravy. That will be my supper. I need to change my bed linens. And I might, just might do a load of whites. We will see. I have all these grand plans. Let's see if I have the energy to follow through.

To all our Canadien friends, Happy Thanksgiving. Eat hearty!
Thank you Addie.

"I have all these grand plans. Let's see if I have the energy to follow through." Unfortunately, I know that one all too well.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #6046
Assistant Cook

Location: I live right smack-dab in the middle of cajun country in South Louisiana.
I brought some work home from the office to do this weekend but DH & I went fishing Saturday and Yesterday. The office is closed today for Columbus Day, but I'm having a difficult time making myself stop playing on the internet and actually start working.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #6047
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy Breath View Post
I brought some work home from the office to do this weekend but DH & I went fishing Saturday and Yesterday. The office is closed today for Columbus Day, but I'm having a difficult time making myself stop playing on the internet and actually start working.

Since you didn't catch any fish, you'd better give dinner some thought.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #6048
Assistant Cook

Location: I live right smack-dab in the middle of cajun country in South Louisiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Since you didn't catch any fish, you'd better give dinner some thought.
No kidding - it was "beans" for supper the last two nights
Old 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #6049
Head Chef

The internet "provider" (more like promiser) repairman just left after installing a new modem. Said it was probably a lightning strike that killed the other one. It went out last Friday, so I'm trying to get caught up on DC. Sorry to hear of so many unfortunate happenings, but glad to hear of the good ones, as well.

I spent this morning picking butterpeas at the local hydroponic organic farm. She just got a load of strawberry plants in that must be attended to and didn't have time to pick peas. It sure was hot & humid in the pea patch, but the humidity is due to drop tomorrow. I can't wait.

All in all, way too much excitement. Gimme a dull day or two.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #6050
Master Chef

Cleaned my kitchen cabinets today with Murphy's Oil Soap. They look so nice.