"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #6091
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Today is a gorgeous Fall day. After yesterday's continual rain and wind we needed this. So I am hoping to mow the yard for maybe the next to last time and brush hog out back for definitely the last time of the season.

For the last 1-1/2 hours though, before I can mow, I have been busy with my nut wizard
Attachment 15937

Another 1-1/2 hours and I should be good to go
I'm glad I only have to do this every other year.
I'm baffled. "brush hog out back", what does that mean?

What kind of nuts are those? Walnuts? Why do you only have to do it every other year?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #6092
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm baffled. "brush hog out back", what does that mean?

What kind of nuts are those? Walnuts? Why do you only have to do it every other year?
A brush/bush hog is an attachment that goes on a tractor that mows heavy grasses/brush/bush. We have one on our tractor that Glenn clears the fields with a couple of times a year.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #6093
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like we are learning a new language.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #6094
Everymom

What kind of nuts are those? You lucky bum! I'd love to have nuts in my backyard. I just have nuts in the house!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #6095
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Today is a gorgeous Fall day. After yesterday's continual rain and wind we needed this. So I am hoping to mow the yard for maybe the next to last time and brush hog out back for definitely the last time of the season.

For the last 1-1/2 hours though, before I can mow, I have been busy with my nut wizard
Attachment 15937

Another 1-1/2 hours and I should be good to go
I'm glad I only have to do this every other year.
Any tips on an easy way to crack those black walnuts?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #6096
Senior Cook

Whenever I read the title of this thread, shown on the sidebar here ( i.e."what are you doing?")....I'm tempted to reply to it:

"talking to you, dearie".
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #6097
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Finishing a quick snack before I go for a 90 minute massage. w00t!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #6098
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Any tips on an easy way to crack those black walnuts?
I remember when my sister was a teenager, she had a belt made of black walnuts. They were sliced about 1/8" think, heavily varnished and a leather thong woven throughout it. It was really pretty. Now her son has one growing in his back yard, He had no idea what kind of nuts they were. Just that they were/are a nuisance to clean up. One year he had a company come in and prune the tree hoping it would cut bak on the fallen nuts. It just increased the yield. The family is still laughing at that one.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #6099
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I remember when my sister was a teenager, she had a belt made of black walnuts. They were sliced about 1/8" think, heavily varnished and a leather thong woven throughout it. It was really pretty. Now her son has one growing in his back yard, He had no idea what kind of nuts they were. Just that they were/are a nuisance to clean up. One year he had a company come in and prune the tree hoping it would cut bak on the fallen nuts. It just increased the yield. The family is still laughing at that one.
Take good care of that tree, the wood from a black walnut tree can be worth quite a bit of money.

My stepfather used to make those little varnished rounds from a butternut. My mom and her friends used them for buttons on sweaters.

We used to have to crack butternuts and black walnuts if we were caught moping around the house complaining that we had nothing to do.

We had to keep one jar for the whole nuts and one for the broken nuts. The butternuts went into cookies and the black walnuts went into fudge.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #6100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Take good care of that tree, the wood from a black walnut tree can be worth quite a bit of money.

My stepfather used to make those little varnished rounds from a butternut. My mom and her friends used them for buttons on sweaters.

We used to have to crack butternuts and black walnuts if we were caught moping around the house complaining that we had nothing to do.

We had to keep one jar for the whole nuts and one for the broken nuts. The butternuts went into cookies and the black walnuts went into fudge.
The sorriest words a child can utter.

The kids had finished opening all their Christmas presents. Son #2 was whining. "I have nothing to do!" Oh oh! Hubby picked him up and tossed him right into the pile of toys under the tree. "PLAY! And if you can't find anything to play with, I will toss all those toys out!"