"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #6131
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Kicking back and trying to figure out a new "toy" that was delivered today. My brain is about to bleed. I have an ice pack on my knee because it's been plaguing me more and more all the time. "Arthur" is NOT a friend. The ice feels so good and the pain is subsiding. Yeah!

However, I've had my evening shower, there are fresh line-dried sheets on our bed and I know the perfume of the outdoors will lull me to sleep. I love sliding into bed on Friday night.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #6132
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, I agree nothing better than getting into bed when you have just washed the sheets and they have dried outside...we too wash our sheets every Friday and put a lovely clean set on...we have about 6 sets of cotton sheets

Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #6133
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A hot soaky bath with Epsom Salts is good for muscle pain.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #6134
Chef Extraordinaire

Epsom Salts is also good for roses.

Another all nighter. Did some sewing, got bored with that. Watched some TV. Got bored with that. Started to clean the stove. Boring! I changed the sheet on my bed. I have only a bottom sheet. Hate top sheets. I can't stand to have it touch my bad leg since the surgery. Don't know why. I sleep with my leg outside the blanket. I take really good care of the graft.

I do have to do a couple of loads of laundry today. But because I have been up all night I will probably crash around ten this morning. Wake up around three.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #6135
Certified Pretend Chef

I never have a problem sleeping until 9:00AM or later, but today I'm up and ready at 6:30 AM on a Saturday morning waiting for a furniture delivery. (scheduled for 7:00AM to 10:00AM).
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #6136
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just prepped a big hunk of Hen of the Woods mushroom. A friend found a 35 pounder and was nice enough to give us a big piece! More than enough to freeze, dehydrate, and fry up.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #6137
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I just prepped a big hunk of Hen of the Woods mushroom. A friend found a 35 pounder and was nice enough to give us a big piece! More than enough to freeze, dehydrate, and fry up.
A 35 pound mushroom! Is that normal for hen of the woods? What do they taste like? I know, dumb question, but are they similar to anything else?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #6138
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
A 35 pound mushroom! Is that normal for hen of the woods? What do they taste like? I know, dumb question, but are they similar to anything else?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-392136167.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	15963
Teaspoon for comparison:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4035720891.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	15964

Not dumb at all, TL. I'd never heard of them before either. We got an 8 pounder from the same friend a couple years ago. The taste is like a portobello, really meaty. They freeze and dehydrate really well. I use them in soup and spaghetti sauce. 35 pounds is big, but not uncommon, they can get bigger!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #6139
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

there you go again, dawg! last year you had us drooling over your beagle-sized hen of the woods mushroom that a neighbor gifted you...much as i love, so love, mushrooms of every kind, whether they grow in the woods in dead oak trees or under your bed, i should rightfully have mushroom-finding-sharing friends in my neighborhood. some people are just lucky that way....do you think it would maybe increase my chances if i were to adopt a dog from the local shelter? i could afford it, what with all the money i'd be saving from not having to buy my mushrooms....
Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #6140
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

there you go again, dawg! last year you had us drooling over your beagle-sized hen of the woods mushroom that a neighbor gifted you...much as i love, so love, mushrooms of every kind, whether they grow in the woods in dead oak trees or under your bed, i should rightfully have mushroom-finding-sharing friends in my neighborhood. some people are just lucky that way....do you think it would maybe increase my chances if i were to adopt a dog from the local shelter? i could afford it, what with all the money i'd be saving from not having to buy my mushrooms....
Oh geez, Vit, that was just last year, wasn't it? No, I just looked, 9/10.

Yes, adopting a dog would definitely increase your mushroom obtaining! Beagles are being trained to sniff out truffles, maybe they could sniff out Hens.