What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I'm done already. That was easy. Turns out they weren't so dirty after all, just had a small piece of a 2x4 stuck in it. Weird. It created a log jam at the corner and we had wee little elm trees starting to grow. Ugh. Still a dirty job. I'm going to have my coffee now and catch up with you folks.

Eavestroughs? Interesting term. In my old 1880 house we had what the old timer locals called eavestroughs but they referred to something completely different and what my house had.

All around the perimeter of the house a slight distance away from the foundation there were concrete "troughs." When it rained, the water came off the roof and spilled into these devices. The concrete areas were slanted slightly away from the house and into the flower beds that surrounded the house. Made all the sense in the world to me, especially since it was a three-story house. Cleaning traditional gutters would have been a real nightmare.

I'll just give my toque a spin, grab my Timmies and go tobogganing after I finish my poutine. :rolleyes:

BT is always whining about the Canada Geese we send him in the summer. Wuss.

What am I doing? Taking a break from a project outside.

We have three very simple, but a bit rustic garden chairs on the front porch near the front door. We use them all the time and they are now at the point where their finish/paint/stain, whatever is in need of attention and they are racking a bit.

So, since Mother Nature has seen fit to bestow a beautiful, low-humidity day on us, I decided to take the opportunity to fix them and give them a new look.

I just finished finding all the loose joints, gluing and screwing them back to a nice tight state and have begun to paint them a new color. They were sort of a distressed charcoal/black color. Not sure if they were stained or painted, but they'd gotten to the point where bare wood was getting exposed.

They were treated to a good scrubbing and brushing and I've finished painting two of them. Wow! What a great difference!!! Instead of worn old black/grey chairs, they're now a pleasant bluish forest green. Real mellow and they look good against the clay color of our house trim and the brick.

Only one more to go, but that'll have to wait until after lunch and after my arthritic hands have rested a bit. Later this afternoon probably.

I'll just give my toque a spin, grab my Timmies and go tobogganing after I finish my poutine. :rolleyes:

BT is always whining about the Canada Geese we send him in the summer. Wuss.

You talk funny! :LOL: Google needs an Canadian/American translator.

What good are geese you aren't allowed to eat? They'll be crapping on your lawns soon enough. You guys have lawns, right?

Sitting at the kitchen table, smiling with the knowledge that I've heard the timbre of Himself's voice humming from our bedroom upstairs. He's been on a phone interview for over half an hour, and the sounds from above sound promising. Others has sounded promising too, but it hasn't stopped me from hoping THIS one works out and he get hired. He hates doing fix-up work around the house, I don't like the idea of spending savings on hiring someone to do what he can do, but the idea of spending "new money" sounds like ideal to me. Toes crossed, fingers too. I do want to move back home, but I'd rather have the house "market-perfect" before the sign goes up. :)

Getting ready to drive to Montreal and have lunch with TaxLady with Danish Club members!
Sounds like great fun! Hope you ladies (and all the Danish Club friends) had a rousing good time!

Hmm, like pac, I too now have a taste for a Danish....:ermm:

I had to settle for a brownie with walnuts in it. I picked it up at the butcher shop before heading back home. It was right by the door calling to me.

Brownies are exactly the kind of thing that hop into my shopping cart when I do my grocery run pac.

I guess school will be starting soon. I'm listening to the high school band practice - the field is just up the street from us, maybe a 1/4th of a mile? All I know is I can hear the drums real good. Thankfully the drummers are real good too!

Brownies are exactly the kind of thing that hop into my shopping cart when I do my grocery run pac.

I guess school will be starting soon. I'm listening to the high school band practice - the field is just up the street from us, maybe a 1/4th of a mile? All I know is I can hear the drums real good. Thankfully the drummers are real good too!

I was looking at a pan of brownies yesterday at the town store and they want nine bucks for them :ohmy: And they didn't even have nuts :ohmy::ohmy:
The one I bought from the butcher's bakery was 1.50, thick and about the size of four normal brownies. And I would have bought it anyway :rolleyes:

Have any of you received an email from Duncan Hines lately? They have really expanded their product base. They even now have cake mixes with the frosting and pastry bag/tip included. And the products are still the full size that we are all used to. Some great ideas also. Chocolate cake pops rolled in melted marshmallow, and then some finely crushed graham crackers. S'Mores! Evidently we missed National S'Mores Day. But, better late than never. :angel:

I was looking at a pan of brownies yesterday at the town store and they want nine bucks for them :ohmy: And they didn't even have nuts :ohmy::ohmy:
The one I bought from the butcher's bakery was 1.50, thick and about the size of four normal brownies. And I would have bought it anyway :rolleyes:

A number of years ago when my g'son graduated from H.S. he had a party. I bought two boxes of Duncan Hines Chocolate Lovers Brownie mixes and a bag of mini Reese's Cups. I made the mix, poured it into a large lasagna pan and placed the mini Reese's Cups on top of the batter making sure they were touching each other. I had added walnuts to the batter. I then pushed down all the cups into the batter and baked. His boss was present and wanted to know if I would share the recipe. I was embarrassed to tell him it was a DH and I just added the R. cups. Evidently DH sells in commercial size, their mixes to bakeries. He told me he was going to order some the next day. For the cups, he had to contact the Reese's company and order in bulk from them. I mentioned to him that is was a pain in the butt removing all the foil wrap from those mini cups. He told me, he can get them without the wrapping. For years his own brownies were good sellers. Later my g'son told me he couldn't keep the "new" recipe on hand. They flew out the door as soon as they came out from the back room. I should make them again for the next function we have here. So easy to do, except for those dang wrappers. :angel:

CWS just hit the road for home about 10 minutes ago. We had a lovely time with good food at the Danish Club lunch. We stopped at two ethnic grocery stores on the way back to my place. It was great to see her again. I think we should try to get together more than once a year.

BTW, I'm sitting on the Chesterfield as I write this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom