What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got the news, one of our nurses lost her fight with cancer tonight. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and it was all through her. G'night Ginny! I'll miss you.
Soory to hear about your friend. That was a very aggresssive cancer. At least she didn't have to suffer. Keeping you in my prayers. Take care:angel::angel:

Have mopped some floors, done some other housework, about to have lunch and then go and snuggle up in the lounge and watch a film :)

I went to Winthrop yesterday and immediately got the news that one of the longest members of the knitting group died from dementia. Watching her this past year deteriorate has been so difficult. She would make the most delicate patterns for baby outfits for mothers who had nothing to take their babies home in. The hat, sweater, booties and blankets. She could do the first three items in one day, and start the blanket and finish it the next day. Then she took a bad fall at home last year and from there went down hill.

I understand patient confidentiality, but the powers that be won't even tell any of the patients when her funeral is. That makes no sense to me. Most of the knitting group want to attend.

So sorry to hear about your nurse PF. Losing a friend can be so difficult. :angel:
Sorry for your loss Addie. The circle of life....Sounds like your friend contributed so much of her time & talents to the next generation. Even with dementia it says a lot about her. :angel::angel:

You know how I am always saying that we never lose out power because all our wires are underground. Well I am eating crow. A manhole blew around 8:30 tonight and our building went into darkness except for the emergency lighting in the halls. So a lot of folks grabbed a chair and sat out there until the lights came back on two hours later. The city sent an EMT team to each elderly building to check on everyone. We have a couple of residents that are on oxygen. They had to be switched over to their backup that runs on six hours of batteries. We told the EMTs that we knew who needed help and who was cable on their own. So once they checked on the oxygen patients, they left feeling that this building was going to be all right. Then we noticed blue lights flashing. A police patrol car was posted on the street just outside our building. They were watching for looters. The locks on our building went out with the power. I didn't mention this to any of the residents. It would have really scared them. Then we have a resident that is 92. Dementia is slowly setting in on her. She kept asking the same questions over and over. I just kept answering them over and over. It takes a lot of patience to be with her. One resident who was sitting out in the hall had just taken a very strong pain pill when the lights went. She was falling asleep and almost falling off the chair. So I took her back to her apartment and made sure she had her flashlight right next to her. I left her sitting in her chair with her legs up on a padded cushion. she was asleep before I even reached her door. I will check on her again tomorrow. :angel:
Those residents are very fortunate to have you in the building. Sounds like your nuturing & caring way about you has shown through once again! :angel:

I just recently woke up from a late afternoon nap. Worked this morning for 3 small caterings. Spent the rest of the day going to rummage sales with dh & the daughter. Guess it took a toll on me. Nice 3 hour nap. Dh went out to get us some soup from a local chinese place.

Those residents are very fortunate to have you in the building. Sounds like your nuturing & caring way about you has shown through once again! :angel:

Of the 50+ residents in this building, there are only two I would not mind seen leaving. And of one, the whole building feels the same way. She is a thorn in everyone's side. Although ever since I confronted her last year, she just says only "hello" to me now. No other words. For the rest of the residents, you can see just how frail they are. One resident is in her second battle with cancer. I am fortunate that I am not there yet. I still have my wits about me, although for the life of me it takes a couple of seconds to find the word I know, just can't remember. So frustrating. I also have a child that shows up here every night to check on me. And any time one of the residents need anything and they run into him, they ask and he does. So I guess he gets his caring from me. Last night he made it a point to call the police to immediately let them know that our building had lost our electricity. As a result the medics and police were immediately dispatched to our building. Had they waited for the power company to let the city know how wide the outage was, some of our residents would have been in trouble with their oxygen.

One of the things I have done is give my cell phone number to a couple of the residents that I know go shopping and come home carrying heavy bags beyond their strength. I told them to call me from the bus and I will meet them at the stop and give their bundles a ride home. It gives me something to do besides sit in my apartment watching the boob tube. Life as an elderly is hard enough. So if I can do just one little thing to make it easier, then I do. These are second generation folks who worked hard all their life raising a family. They thought they would be taken care of in the old age. Like they did for their parents. But it seems like their kids just don't have the time for them. Too bad. Those kids are missing out on a lot of special time. And so are the grandchildren. :angel:

Of the 50+ residents in this building, there are only two I would not mind seen leaving. And of one, the whole building feels the same way. She is a thorn in everyone's side. Although ever since I confronted her last year, she just says only "hello" to me now. No other words. For the rest of the residents, you can see just how frail they are. One resident is in her second battle with cancer. I am fortunate that I am not there yet. I still have my wits about me, although for the life of me it takes a couple of seconds to find the word I know, just can't remember. So frustrating. I also have a child that shows up here every night to check on me. And any time one of the residents need anything and they run into him, they ask and he does. So I guess he gets his caring from me. Last night he made it a point to call the police to immediately let them know that our building had lost our electricity. As a result the medics and police were immediately dispatched to our building. Had they waited for the power company to let the city know how wide the outage was, some of our residents would have been in trouble with their oxygen.

One of the things I have done is give my cell phone number to a couple of the residents that I know go shopping and come home carrying heavy bags beyond their strength. I told them to call me from the bus and I will meet them at the stop and give their bundles a ride home. It gives me something to do besides sit in my apartment watching the boob tube. Life as an elderly is hard enough. So if I can do just one little thing to make it easier, then I do. These are second generation folks who worked hard all their life raising a family. They thought they would be taken care of in the old age. Like they did for their parents. But it seems like their kids just don't have the time for them. Too bad. Those kids are missing out on a lot of special time. And so are the grandchildren. :angel:
You are a true angel!!:angel::angel:

We have just been in the lounge room watching some Kitchen Nightmares...we have watched all the UK series and now going to start on the US series

That was fun playing the games, as there is not normally anyone here at this time, thanks for being here SB :)

Have just got up, lovely sleep :)

Our Indian dinner out last night was delicious! We had chicken tikka masala and chicken madras, which we shared and also some cheese naan bread :yum:

Today I have a few things to get at the shops and then I am going over to mums for a coffee and chat :)

I haven't been feeling my best again. The culprit is my low blood pressure. I started this morning cleaning the kitchen from top to bottom. Cabinet faces, stove, sink, and finally the floor. Washed and waxed it. I kept having to lay down due to not feeling well. I would stay down long enough to begin to feel a little better and then get up and do some more work. The kitchen though is shining.

So off to the bathroom. Scrubbed everything down. That left just the floor. I couldn't even finish washing it. Had to lay down this time for more than an hour. Fell asleep. Woke up to finish the bathroom floor. All washed, but had to stop. Am feeling a little better as my blood pressure is climbing up. So in a little while I will wax the floor and that room will be done. That is all for today. I am not going to take my BP meds tonight. I am going to go to bed early and go to sleep.

I know the culprit is one of my meds. It is a long action med and stays in my system for at least twelve hours. I want off that one. Or at least the other two and I can stay on that one. I am getting very tired of this foolishness. ESP practices conservative medicine. And I am just the opposite. I have a problem, solve it right now. So we are at odds all the time.

Time to lay down again. Enjoyed talking to all of you. :angel:

That's a lot of cleaning Addie. It is about time you took a bit of a break! I had low BP for a long time and I don't think it is particularly high even now, but I know when to stop!

Enjoy your nap. :)

Have just got back from the shops...been to the bakery and the supermarket

Need to go out again to a couple of department stores to get a couple of things and then off to mums

I haven't been feeling my best again. The culprit is my low blood pressure. I started this morning cleaning the kitchen from top to bottom. Cabinet faces, stove, sink, and finally the floor. Washed and waxed it. I kept having to lay down due to not feeling well. I would stay down long enough to begin to feel a little better and then get up and do some more work. The kitchen though is shining.

So off to the bathroom. Scrubbed everything down. That left just the floor. I couldn't even finish washing it. Had to lay down this time for more than an hour. Fell asleep. Woke up to finish the bathroom floor. All washed, but had to stop. Am feeling a little better as my blood pressure is climbing up. So in a little while I will wax the floor and that room will be done. That is all for today. I am not going to take my BP meds tonight. I am going to go to bed early and go to sleep.

I know the culprit is one of my meds. It is a long action med and stays in my system for at least twelve hours. I want off that one. Or at least the other two and I can stay on that one. I am getting very tired of this foolishness. ESP practices conservative medicine. And I am just the opposite. I have a problem, solve it right now. So we are at odds all the time.

Time to lay down again. Enjoyed talking to all of you. :angel:
Slow down Addie! Your work ethic is exremely admirable but you have to take care of yourself! the cleaning can wait. You are so much more important than those floors & cleaning. At least wait until you see your doctor & he can get your meds figured out. Take it easy!!:angel::angel:

Have been out at a couple of department stores, got Steve a body warmer at a great price as they are selling off all the Winter stuff....it was $69.95 down to $20.00 :)

I have also been over at mums, always nice to catch up :)

Have been out at a couple of department stores, got Steve a body warmer at a great price as they are selling off all the Winter stuff....it was $69.95 down to $20.00 :)

I have also been over at mums, always nice to catch up :)
Okay, I'll bite. What's a "body warmer"? One piece long underwear with a flap?

Back
Top Bottom