What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have just had dinner, Butter Chicken with basmati rice and pappadoms, very nice, it is a lovely recipe :)

Now relaxing with a cup of tea and soon to go into the lounge to watch some Masterchef :)

Finally relaxed enough for bed after a fun, busy day. I made a nice brunch early this afternoon, then we headed for a leisurely ride through MA and Rhode Island, ending up at a church we found a couple summers ago that offers a "Last Chance Mass" at 8:00 PM. On the way home we stopped to eat at a favorite restaurant/bar, then got home to a sick kitty. Kitty is fine, I've had my wine, and now it's time to...I ran out of rhyme. Well, time to go to sleep. Good night!
sleep-035.gif

That's a lot of cleaning Addie. It is about time you took a bit of a break! I had low BP for a long time and I don't think it is particularly high even now, but I know when to stop!

Enjoy your nap. :)

I found out this morning what the problem is. Again it was the pharmacy. I was supposed to be receiving two of my BP pills. There were three in yesterday's and this morning's. Ten mg. more than I was supposed to be getting. This is their third screw up. And I have no choice over which pharmacy. I get all my meds free and have to accept the pharmacy of my medical plan's choice.

I found out this morning what the problem is. Again it was the pharmacy. I was supposed to be receiving two of my BP pills. There were three in yesterday's and this morning's. Ten mg. more than I was supposed to be getting. This is their third screw up. And I have no choice over which pharmacy. I get all my meds free and have to accept the pharmacy of my medical plan's choice.

You may have to use that pharmacy, but you can also report them. They have to follow the same guidelines as any other healthcare provider. Right Patient, Right Drug, Right Dose, Right Route and Right Time...although Time is not meant for a pharmacy, the other Rights apply.

1. the pharmacy is losing money - extra pills cost money
2. the pharmacist has a boss who needs to know they are screwing up and their screw up is causing harm
3. if you don't get satisfaction at the pharmacy level, complain to the FDA

You may have to use that pharmacy, but you can also report them. They have to follow the same guidelines as any other healthcare provider. Right Patient, Right Drug, Right Dose, Right Route and Right Time...although Time is not meant for a pharmacy, the other Rights apply.

1. the pharmacy is losing money - extra pills cost money
2. the pharmacist has a boss who needs to know they are screwing up and their screw up is causing harm
3. if you don't get satisfaction at the pharmacy level, complain to the FDA

Thanks PF. This is the third time they have screwed up. Two of those times could have cost me my life. And this is one of them. I was given 10 mg of Isosorbide to many. I am supposed to take 20 mg. three times a day. My morning dose was too much and my BP was crashing. I had a talk with my nurse and told her my diet has changed drastically this past year. My use of salt is almost nil. My intake of red meat is maybe two, three times a month. I am eating mostly veggies and always forget to salt them.

Do you know what MOT cards are. The MOT stands for "Medicine On Time." They are color coded and each days pills are in a color for each time of day. For me it is yellow for my morning pills. There are seven squares on the card and are push through, one for each day. I didn't notice the extra pill yesterday morning. But I caught it this morning before I took them. I called my nurse to report yesterday's crash and the wrong amount of pills in this morning's square. They sent someone to pick up my pills so they could examine them all. I get my pills for the week.

I always check the name of who filled the card. And this person, Vicki has never made an error. So I haven't been as diligent when her name is on the card. I have begun to trust her.

I do have to admit, a system is in place that she will now have to go for a refresher course that is in place for the pharmacists. If this is her third error, she will be dismissed and reported to the board of licenses. If you remember last year or whenever, the one who almost killed me with the powerful wrong pills, she lost her license. It was because of the seriousness of that error, the pharmacy changed over to a bar code system. So how this happened, I have no idea. But..... Why Always Me? :angel:

Thanks PF. This is the third time they have screwed up. Two of those times could have cost me my life. And this is one of them. I was given 10 mg of Isosorbide to many. I am supposed to take 20 mg. three times a day. My morning dose was too much and my BP was crashing. I had a talk with my nurse and told her my diet has changed drastically this past year. My use of salt is almost nil. My intake of red meat is maybe two, three times a month. I am eating mostly veggies and always forget to salt them.

Do you know what MOT cards are. The MOT stands for "Medicine On Time." They are color coded and each days pills are in a color for each time of day. For me it is yellow for my morning pills. There are seven squares on the card and are push through, one for each day. I didn't notice the extra pill yesterday morning. But I caught it this morning before I took them. I called my nurse to report yesterday's crash and the wrong amount of pills in this morning's square. They sent someone to pick up my pills so they could examine them all. I get my pills for the week.

I always check the name of who filled the card. And this person, Vicki has never made an error. So I haven't been as diligent when her name is on the card. I have begun to trust her.

I do have to admit, a system is in place that she will now have to go for a refresher course that is in place for the pharmacists. If this is her third error, she will be dismissed and reported to the board of licenses. If you remember last year or whenever, the one who almost killed me with the powerful wrong pills, she lost her license. It was because of the seriousness of that error, the pharmacy changed over to a bar code system. So how this happened, I have no idea. But..... Why Always Me? :angel:

It's not always you, med errors are the biggest problem for the entire health care system and everyone makes errors.

PF, The Club knows that I am alert and intelligent. They also now know that when I catch an error on their part, I will make a fuss and expect results to my satisfaction. Also having a PA for a son and my proxy, is a major help.

If you remember when I had the heart attack in the ER and the doctor overrode the computer and ordered Heprin for me, it brought a change nation wide for any medical facility that was using that software program. You cannot override the program now. The company that wrote the program made the change and notified every facility that was using it. The doctor was disciplined and now patients are a bit more safer. I will wait to see what happens now. I should hear from The Club this afternoon. And get a whole new set of meds for the rest of the week. :angel:

I'm not excusing errors, they shouldn't happen...however it is humans we are dealing with and mistakes do happen. We need to learn from the mistakes and provide resolution to make sure it doesn't happen again. I've caught our pharmacy many times, I've caught med errors, I've made med errors (luckily none that were life threatening) each time was a learning experience for all involved.

Catching and reporting the errors is very important. I saw a documentary about pharmaceutical errors. They pointed out that if the same error happens a lot, it is probably a system error. One example had them drastically change the labelling on two visually similar bottles, so that it was easier to see the difference.

Back
Top Bottom