"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #6471
Certified Cake Maniac

I just finished putting the finishing touches on 3 newborn hats so now have a total of 5 to take preliminary shots for my photographer friend. She'll decide which she likes and take pictures with babies - then I can set up my Facebook page. I am really excited about this new venture.

Who knew that crocheting would actually be good for my arthritic hands (or at least not make them worse).

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #6472
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I just finished putting the finishing touches on 3 newborn hats so now have a total of 5 to take preliminary shots for my photographer friend. She'll decide which she likes and take pictures with babies - then I can set up my Facebook page. I am really excited about this new venture.

Who knew that crocheting would actually be good for my arthritic hands (or at least not make them worse).
Are you going to be selling them? Back in the '70s I did a lot of crochet and sold it. It was murder trying to compete with grannies who were happy to get paid enough to cover the yarn.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #6473
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Are you going to be selling them? Back in the '70s I did a lot of crochet and sold it. It was murder trying to compete with grannies who were happy to get paid enough to cover the yarn.
Yes, I am hoping to sell them, but as props for photographers. They want "different" things and are willing to pay for it whether it be a unique design, good wool or accents (I used Swavorski crystals as "sprinkles" on a cupcake hat as they will sparkle in the photos!).

I hope to also sell for gifts and may put a table up at a local Christmas show next month if I have enough product.

But the whole point of this was to give me something to do over the winter when I can't go out due to the weather and my pain flares. My friend wants to do these hats up nice in photos and send them to her colleagues. If I start getting custom orders (like the cupcake for my friend) then I will be on my way.

If anyone is interested once I take and process the pictures I will post them on my profile, but don't feel you have to look!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #6474
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969
I have been out in the front garden this morning..doing lots of pruning, cutting back some bushes and plants...a nice tidy up!

Still more to do, but after 1.5 hours out there, it started getting a bit warm...glad I did it early in the morning

I am so chuffed for my mum...I found out last night that the Jersey Boys competition I entered her in...she won

The package mum has won is:

4 x A-reserve tickets to see Jersey Boys perform at the Festival Theatre valued at $125.00 each

High Tea for 4 people with the Jersey Boys valued at $50 per person

2 x rooms for two people at the Intercontinental Adelaide valued at $285.00 each

I am so happy for her
Wow! Congrats to you and your mum, Kylie, do you get to go too? Sounds like a great time!

So glad Steve is doing better!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #6475
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier

Yes, I am hoping to sell them, but as props for photographers. They want "different" things and are willing to pay for it whether it be a unique design, good wool or accents (I used Swavorski crystals as "sprinkles" on a cupcake hat as they will sparkle in the photos!).

I hope to also sell for gifts and may put a table up at a local Christmas show next month if I have enough product.

But the whole point of this was to give me something to do over the winter when I can't go out due to the weather and my pain flares. My friend wants to do these hats up nice in photos and send them to her colleagues. If I start getting custom orders (like the cupcake for my friend) then I will be on my way.

If anyone is interested once I take and process the pictures I will post them on my profile, but don't feel you have to look!
Would love to see the pics, LP! The cupcake sounds adorable! So glad you're able to crochet as therapy.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #6476
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is five a.m. and I am sitting here listening to the rain. I have my windows open and the heat off. I am waiting for the daylight to come. I hate the dark of night. I am thinking of doing some sewing.

I am impatient for my eye surgery. Each day I am losing some of my sight. First the left eye and then two weeks later the right one. I wish they would do the right one first. That is my good eye. Oh well. I am just happy they are even doing the surgery.
Be glad and happy there girl. I was scared and miserable and wanted the good eye done first but the Dr. did the one that was in bad shape and I'm so glad he did. Now I can see so well in both of them YIPPEEEEEEWill be thinking of you.
kades your purple pal
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #6477
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Be glad and happy there girl. I was scared and miserable and wanted the good eye done first but the Dr. did the one that was in bad shape and I'm so glad he did. Now I can see so well in both of them YIPPEEEEEEWill be thinking of you.
kades your purple pal
They do the bad one first 'cause you will be using one eye for a while and it's better if that's the good one.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #6478
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post

Oh yes I do have to look. That's what Ma's do
ma
Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #6479
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Wow! Congrats to you and your mum, Kylie, do you get to go too? Sounds like a great time!

So glad Steve is doing better!
Thanks DL

Yes, the prize is for 4 people, so it will be mum and her partner and Steve and I
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #6480
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I have been out in the front garden this morning..doing lots of pruning, cutting back some bushes and plants...a nice tidy up!

Still more to do, but after 1.5 hours out there, it started getting a bit warm...glad I did it early in the morning

I am so chuffed for my mum...I found out last night that the Jersey Boys competition I entered her in...she won

The package mum has won is:

4 x A-reserve tickets to see Jersey Boys perform at the Festival Theatre valued at $125.00 each

High Tea for 4 people with the Jersey Boys valued at $50 per person

2 x rooms for two people at the Intercontinental Adelaide valued at $285.00 each

I am so happy for her
Congratulations To you & you're mum!! Sounds like an awesome prize, hope you get to enjoy it as well.