What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been taking advantage of the extended weekend to get some canning done. Friday and Saturday, I canned jam and jelly. Including a dozen half pint jars of Jalapeno and Cubanelle jelly (my favorite). Yesterday I canned pickles. I'll probably make more next weekend. I also need to get some sauerkraut started. Today I'm bottling wine. Tonight I'll probably be drinking some of it. :)

img_1296832_0_56e9a692f051bdda3ec38648c38dface.jpg

Last edited:
I've been taking advantage of the extended weekend to get some canning done. Friday and Saturday, I canned jam and jelly. Including a dozen half pint jars of Jalapeno and Cubanelle jelly (my favorite). Yesterday I canned pickles. I'll probably make more next weekend. I also need to get some sauerkraut started. Today I'm bottling wine. Tonight I'll probably be drinking some of it. :)

img_1296884_0_56e9a692f051bdda3ec38648c38dface.jpg
Wow, a lot of work, but well worth it.

I see the date on those labels, so I guess you printed them. Did you design them yourself or get a template?

Wow, a lot of work, but well worth it.

I see the date on those labels, so I guess you printed them. Did you design them yourself or get a template?

Yes and no. I make all my own labels. But I'm no artist, so I grab clip art where I can. The "pickle sweethearts" image on these labels comes from a piece of old sheet music that I scanned in.

Nice pickles, Steve! Cute labels!

We're finally getting to the apples. One crock pot has apples with maple syrup, and we're filling up another CP that I think will be more traditional, with cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg for apple butter. I'm really glad I gave the other bag away, kinda sick of peeling, even with the corer/peeler/slicer thingy.

Yes and no. I make all my own labels. But I'm no artist, so I grab clip art where I can. The "pickle sweethearts" image on these labels comes from a piece of old sheet music that I scanned in.
I think those labels are very cool. I would consider that designing, but not drawing, them.

Just got home from a long weekend at mom's. We got the van unloaded, the bags unpacked. Now I need to jump in the shower & start laundry so I can get up at 6 am to go back to work tomorrow morning. Good to get home. It was nice to see everyone, so many seemed so aged. It has been years since I have seen a lot of old teachers & classmates from 1979. Puts things into perspective that none of us will be here forever.

Got any cocoa or baker's chocolate? You could make hot chocolate or chocolate cake. :chef:

BTW, I have a recipe for very easy chocolate cake that doesn't even need eggs.

Darn, I just remembered I have that cake in a mug recipe. That would have worked for my chocolate fix.

Just got home from a long weekend at mom's. We got the van unloaded, the bags unpacked. Now I need to jump in the shower & start laundry so I can get up at 6 am to go back to work tomorrow morning. Good to get home. It was nice to see everyone, so many seemed so aged. It has been years since I have seen a lot of old teachers & classmates from 1979. Puts things into perspective that none of us will be here forever.

I live with that knowledge every day in this building. The folks in this building are getting weider every day. We have florescent lights in the hall. When ever one starts to blink, they swear someone is going to die. Today there were three blinking. So now the word is that someone is going to break in and kill all of us in our sleep. If they do, I will give them the apartment numbers to go to first. :angel:

I guess none of us can pick the time or the place, regardless of our age or gender. It's our legacy that goes on for generations to come. You are such a kind & giving person Addie. I am certain you make a positive difference in a lot of peoples lives!

I guess none of us can pick the time or the place, regardless of our age or gender. It's our legacy that goes on for generations to come. You are such a kind & giving person Addie. I am certain you make a positive difference in a lot of peoples lives!

Thank you. I try. Some days it is harder than others. :angel:

Got the CPs cleaned up after yesterday's Apple Butter Fest. It was a harsh reality to have to go back to work after a 3 day weekend. I need another 3 days, at least.

Last edited:
Spike left a little while ago. He is very upset with Teddy Bear. When he went to the little store, the woman there got a cold cut end and was tearing off pieces for him. She wasn't doing it fast enough, so he was almost in his lap pulling at it. Then tonight I was boning the rotisserie chicken legs I got when I went shopping this morning. I put the skins down for Teddy and he ran right to them and gobbled them down. Then he ate all the special treats I had for him. Spike is very upset because sitting in his dish at home is a nice full dish of roast beef that he hasn't even touched. Teddy loves roast beef. Teddy has this silly routine when he eats. You can't look at him and the food as a rule has to sit there for a full day. And he refuses to eat out of Spikes hand. But all the rules go out the window when he is here. My laughing at him and Spike doesn't help any.

I bought some nice beef liver. One time when I bought it I cooked up the whole mess of it. I got very sick. So I learned my lesson. Now I cut it down to a small pieces and wrap it tightly for the freezer. So two large pieces are now six pieces for six meals. Lesson learned the hard way.

I also bought some packaged stuff for the freezer. A couple of Jimmy Dean biscuit sandwiches, Hot Pockets, and a few others. Something easy to fix in a hurry when I don't feel like cooking. I didn't read the back. I was afraid to. I knew if I did, I would toss it all back in the freezer. Strip sirloin steaks were on sale, and I got two really nice marbled ones that are 3/4 inches thick. I measured them before I prepared them for the freezer. These will be seared on top of the stove and finished under the broiler. But first they will get salted and wrapped for a couple of hours. :angel:

Finished my coffee and cookie, grabbing the cat, and flopping in my chair to snooze while catching the 6:00 PM news. Have been staying up WAY too late and need a little nap before I do anything that involves sharp knives or hot pans...:ermm:

I just got back from store. I had a yearning for tacos tonight and had everything but the shells, meat, seasoning, lettuce and tomatoes... which meant I had the cheese and onions :rolleyes:
I shot about a hundred rounds through one of my .22's prior to that.

Time to refill the fridge since we got back, headed to the store before I fall asleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'll see you at the store PF? I know, not likely. :LOL: I'm going to snap ol' Squirt shut and do my own grocery shopping. Then I'll have to come home and work at getting it all into the 'fridge. Uh-oh....

Back
Top Bottom