What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have, Andy. I didn't like it. I wish I could remember why, as maybe you would.
So far I'm just regular donut shop brand guy. The dark magic didn't appeal to me.

Thanks. SO and I found some to try. She ordered some kind of chai. Bottom line, less than 50 cents a cup.

I'm relaxing after a very tiring shopping trip. First, the health food store, then Costco, then Maxi (local supermarket), and finally the Post Office at the pharmacy at the Fairview (the big local mall, where parking is a nuisance) to pick up a parcel for Stirling. I'm thinking of having an adult beverage before I organize supper, but what?

I'm relaxing after a very tiring shopping trip. First, the health food store, then Costco, then Maxi (local supermarket), and finally the Post Office at the pharmacy at the Fairview (the big local mall, where parking is a nuisance) to pick up a parcel for Stirling. I'm thinking of having an adult beverage before I organize supper, but what?

It's Fall you are in Canada, how about a Maple Leaf Cocktail.

Sort of a Canadian Manhattan!

4 parts bourbon
1 part real maple syrup
1 part fresh lemon juice

Shake it in some ice and strain it into a martini glass or leave it on the rocks. If you need a swizzle stick try a cinnamon stick.

It's Fall you are in Canada, how about a Maple Leaf Cocktail.

Sort of a Canadian Manhattan!

4 parts bourbon
1 part real maple syrup
1 part fresh lemon juice

Shake it in some ice and strain it into a martini glass or leave it on the rocks. If you need a swizzle stick try a cinnamon stick.
I like the sound of that. Bourbon is going on the shopping list. Oops, it is on the list. I better make a trip to the SAQ (Quebec Provincial liquor stores) when I'm not doing a lot of other shopping and only getting the "important" stuff. :ermm::LOL:

I decided on a reverse martini (5 parts dry vermouth, 1 part gin, a splash of lemon, an ice cube, and some green olives).

Last edited:

You managed to go to all super large shopping areas. Go for that adult drink. Go for two or more. Then let every one scrounge for themselves for supper. :angel:

That Maple Leaf Cocktail sounds interesting....If only I had not had that Maple Flavored Crown Royal....One of the few things in my life I just did not like.

What a nasty thing to do to Crown Royal! Really, maple-flavored?

The maple leaf cocktail sounds really good, though I'm not a bourbon fan. Might have to give it a shot with brandy.

Spike left a while ago. And I have a very early morning appointment with my vascular doctor. So I have to start getting ready. My hair has gotten long so now I have to curl it rather than just a wash and wear style. Fortunately my hair holds a curl, so I need to get into the shower, and then set it so it will all be dry by the time I go back to sleep. I don't like sleeping in curlers. I also have some ironing to do. Even though it expected to be chilly in the morning, I want to wear a dress.

Two years ago the law in this city was that buildings where the landlords controlled the heat had to turn it on by September 15th. We had 90ºF. heat in October that year. The residents in this building petitioned the City Council and State elected officials to amend the law so that buildings like ours could made our own determination on controlling our own time table. We were heard. This is the first year that we still have our AC past the 15th. Yea! You can fight City Hall and win. :angel:

My experience with maple flavored Crown Royal was bad. I was down at our friendly neighborhood motorcycle club when one of the guys said, "Hoot, try this...." I looked at the bottle which was the same familiar shape that we have come to know and love...albeit, a tick over priced. (IMHO). It seemed interesting with the brown background of the label. But upon opening it and taking a preliminary whiff...it smelled of cheap Old Cabin Maple syrup. I tried a shot and, well ...let's just say that I was not impressed..not even a little. Mind you, this is just my humble opinion, but I can not and will not lay out the money they are asking for this concoction. I wish them well in this venture, but it is ill advised. It is mighty hard to improve on the original.

Just turned the heat on. Well, actually about thirty minutes ago, before I took a shower. It's only 42 outside and the house needed the chill taken off the air...
We got down to 43 last night. I didn't want to come out from under the covers this morning. Each time the alarm went off my hand would sneak out, hit the "snooze" and dart right back under the warm covers with the rest of me from the nose on down. I did set the furnace switch to "on" but set the temp to 63. Dropped only to 66 in the house, now it's 69 after running the oven. It might kick on tonight because it's supposed to get a bit cooler.

... although the furnace has kicked on 3-4 times already and it's only set to 70....
70??? Wuss. :LOL: That's usually our top temperature for the dead of winter with a nor'easter' wailing away outside. Must be because Himself and I are from hot-blooded Slavic nationalities! ;)

....I decided on a reverse martini (5 parts dry vermouth, 1 part gin, a splash of lemon, an ice cube, and some green olives).
Those olives look like the best part to me. Never liked a martini no matter which way I tried it. As far as gin goes, I could just chew on a juniper spring from my garden and get the same effect for free. ;)

We went from temps in the 90‘s to freezing our butts off here too. I had to laugh, the wedding and reception we attended out East was held at a working farm, with a big tent and no heat. Thank goodness the men were all wearing suits, because all us wives and girlfriends sure needed those suit jackets! It was freezing! We could see our breath. We all marched around in our little dresses, with our SO's jackets on, quite fashionable. DH and I are somewhat similar in size, I saw many other women wearing them whose SO's jackets weren't quite as well-fitted, some reached their knees. Lots of very cold jacketless men.

I'm still recooperating. Much travel and merriment, and then back to work.

Last edited:
*phew* Finally able to breathe again. The last two innings of my ballgame were really...exciting. We won!
img_1301777_0_0cdec88626b704e887e12175e2365fbf.gif

The "plot" thickens...
My hornets' nest needed another dose of dust, which I did a couple days ago. I looked at it this morning and whadaya know, part of their honeycomb was outside the nest along with a tidy little fresh pile of some animal's scat.
When I looked in on the nest a few days ago I wondered where all the dead hornets had gone that were laying outside the hole. I thought maybe the living hornts moved them off somewhere, but now I they were eaten and whatever it was went into the nest (now that they were all dead) and ate the larvae, too.
Interesting. I wonder what would do that? I know I have a mink out back, so who knows. Maybe he comes up by the house.

The nest isn't really dug up, Hoot. Maybe the mouth of their tunnel is larger, but just maybe. Nothing looks disturbed. And no tracks because it's in an area I have red bark in.
And my mistake, there are still some stragglers using the nest, but they must be so preoccupied with putting things back together they are ignoring me now, even though I'm right on top of them. Before they would go out of their way to let me know there was a nest nearby.
I have no idea how far back in it goes, but perhaps I ought to dump some soapy water in there. I'm just not sure if soapy water will kill my shrub. I know it won't harm grass, but something is telling me it will weeds, including some shrubs.

Actually, Pac, soapy water can be used to knock off aphids and spider mites from all sorts of plants and shrubs, it shouldn't hurt it as long as it's not too strong.

Back
Top Bottom