"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #6741
Chef Extraordinaire

I have just done the most stupid thing I could possibly do. I just finished watching "Dark Victory" with Bette Davis and George Brent. I have seen it before and it is one of my all time favorite movies along with "Twelve Angry Men". Or at least it was. I couldn't change the channel. There weren't even any commercials. And it was uncut. What in heavens name was I thinking. Needless to say, I have allowed myself to get really upset all over again. If I bend over, will someone kick me all over the place?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #6742
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Trust me, you don't want that gene!!! I'm totally OCD and it's soul distroying and very tiring! You can have my clean gene anytime

People that look past perfection are lucky, I can't go to bed no matter how tired I am without my home being spotless
I am a bit OCD on cleaning too Snip...I like everything to be just right and very clean

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #6743
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Oh yes! Anytime I get pizza from Santarpio's it is a great day. So worth every ache.
Good to hear you enjoyed it Addie

Is your stomach feeling better now?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #6744
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Trust me, you don't want that gene!!! I'm totally OCD and it's soul distroying and very tiring! You can have my clean gene anytime

People that look past perfection are lucky, I can't go to bed no matter how tired I am without my home being spotless
But, the Scandinavian gene for that isn't OCD. Maybe it would have kicked in if I had had any children. Looking past perfection isn't my problem. I just want my house clean enough that guests are comfortable.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #6745
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I hope they appreciate all your hard work!
Well, they seemed to appreciate the financial reports. They really liked the layout and amount of information.

As to the cleaning, I doubt they noticed. But, I got all the cat hair off all the sitting surfaces. There weren't any dust bunnies tigers and the guy who took off his shoes at the door didn't get crumbs and whatnot stuck to his socks.

There was still a bunch of dirty crystal glasses next to the kitchen sink. I have been feeling too clumsy to wash crystal. I used to put it in the dishwasher, but one of my glasses broke in the dishwasher without hitting something else. I think the water sprays pretty hard.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #6746
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But, the Scandinavian gene for that isn't OCD. Maybe it would have kicked in if I had had any children. Looking past perfection isn't my problem. I just want my house clean enough that guests are comfortable.
I'm not Scandinavian but +1!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #6747
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
no sorrys, snippers, your own rule: no saying sorry for being yourself. we love you just the way you are, snip. no matter how we may feel about it, we all still must play the hand we are dealt. some days we do it better than others. :)
Thank you V and Laurie and PF and Kades!! Was having a nasty day
Just had pain from hell and was sweating and feeling severely irritated by everything. All better now

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #6748
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I'm not Scandinavian but +1!
I solved that problem when I moved here five years ago. It is a studio and even though I have one of the larger apartments, there is no room for company. So I have and still do tell folks that I have no chairs for anyone to sit on. They can visit and stay for tea or coffee, but the will have to stand. Actually I do have two folding chairs, and my youngest son bought me a lovely chair with a foot stool to sit in and do my sewing. But no one knows that except family. So I don't care if I don't do any cleaning today. And family doesn't care. There is always later or tomorrow. I am not out to impress anyone.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #6749
Certified Cake Maniac

Addie, I love your attitude to life - you remind me of my paternal grandmother whom I adored.

After a full day of cooking, cleaning and visiting with our company yesterday, today will be a day of rest. I am very sore and feel a slight cold coming on so snuggling in my recliner under my blanket with a good book or the TV remote is the game plan. I have an important football game to watch!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #6750
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We had a lovely extra-special Sunday breakfast, which I what I try to plan each Sunday.

After breakfast I made 6 dozen cookies and a dozen and a half cornmeal pan yeast rolls. I'm trying to stockpile stuff for Glenn to enjoy while I'm the in the hospital this week getting my right knee replaced. The rolls are in his top 5 of the bread-type goods I bake.

I scored a HUGE bulls eye with the cookies. Glenn has been talking about some cookies he used to eat at a lot of the elderly ladies' homes when he was a child. He's described them to me as best he can and, hooray, there was an article in the November issue of Southern Living magazine about what he remembered as "tea cakes."

Well, lo and behold, I made the cookies this morning and they were just as he remembered. Yeah, yeah, yeah! He said the 6 dozen might last him a couple of days.

At the moment, I'm sitting up with my knee elevated and trying to get my second wind so I can get some ironing done and bring my outside plants indoors. The temps are supposed to dip waaaay down while I'm in the hospital and I don't want any of them to suffer. I have a Wandering Jew, several peace lilies, a huge alovera, a massive schiffelera, three oxalis plants, and assorted other "babies." I have discovered places to winter all of them in the house.

Once those tasks are done and I make our evening meal, everything will be as done as I can make it. What things don't get finished aren't important.