"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #6751
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I solved that problem when I moved here five years ago. It is a studio and even though I have one of the larger apartments, there is no room for company. So I have and still do tell folks that I have no chairs for anyone to sit on. They can visit and stay for tea or coffee, but the will have to stand. Actually I do have two folding chairs, and my youngest son bought me a lovely chair with a foot stool to sit in and do my sewing. But no one knows that except family. So I don't care if I don't do any cleaning today. And family doesn't care. There is always later or tomorrow. I am not out to impress anyone.

I only want to impress myself and Stirling. For other people, clean enough to be comfortable, is good enough for me. I don't want them to be afraid to eat food at my house. I don't want to have to move a pile of junk, so they have somewhere to sit. I want them to be able to walk barefoot without having stuff stick to their feet or socks.

That would impress a lot of my friends, because they know what a mess my house usually looks like unless we are having a party.

I have decided that as far as most cleaning goes, I will forget the adage, "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well." It's better to do a poor job of cleaning than not to do it. Okay, that doesn't go for dish washing or cleaning counters in the kitchen, but a crumby job of sweeping is better than no sweeping.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #6752
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, I love your attitude to life - you remind me of my paternal grandmother whom I adored.

After a full day of cooking, cleaning and visiting with our company yesterday, today will be a day of rest. I am very sore and feel a slight cold coming on so snuggling in my recliner under my blanket with a good book or the TV remote is the game plan. I have an important football game to watch!
See that you stay put and rest misssy. I plan to much the same it's cold here and I can't handle it. so warm jammies a blanket, wood stove and a game plus catalogues to peruse.
take care
ma

Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #6753
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, Yay! for tea cakes. That's wonderful that you found the right recipe.

Good vibes going in your direction for successful surgery and healing.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #6754
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Katie, Yay! for tea cakes. That's wonderful that you found the right recipe.

Good vibes going in your direction for successful surgery and healing.
Thanks, taxlady. I INTEND to do well. Just the stubborn Irish in me.

As for the cookies, I'm over the moon. He's described them many, many times and each time he talked about them I saw a wonderful memory reflected in his face. I so wanted to find the right recipe. I am completely confident that there will be only crumbs left when I get home.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #6755
Chef Extraordinaire

Good morning everyone

It has been so warm overnight, so sleeping was not the best

This morning I have some grocery shopping to do

It is so nice and cool outside as the change has come through...have the house all opened up letting all the cool air through
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #6756
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

I only want to impress myself and Stirling. For other people, clean enough to be comfortable, is good enough for me. I don't want them to be afraid to eat food at my house. I don't want to have to move a pile of junk, so they have somewhere to sit. I want them to be able to walk barefoot without having stuff stick to their feet or socks.

That would impress a lot of my friends, because they know what a mess my house usually looks like unless we are having a party.

I have decided that as far as most cleaning goes, I will forget the adage, "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well." It's better to do a poor job of cleaning than not to do it. Okay, that doesn't go for dish washing or cleaning counters in the kitchen, but a crumby job of sweeping is better than no sweeping.
Had a visitor once look in my oven and comment on the pots and pans I had not gotten to. I had put them there because she barely gave me notice she was coming over. She was sitting there with her friend on my sofa and I asked her sweetly if she planned on checking out my medicine cabinet, too. Her face turned red.

Advice to visitors, if a door is closed, leave it that way. In my house there are booby traps for people who poke their noses in.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #6757
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Had a visitor once look in my oven and comment on the pots and pans I had not gotten to. I had put them there because she barely gave me notice she was coming over. She was sitting there with her friend on my sofa and I asked her sweetly if she planned on checking out my medicine cabinet, too. Her face turned red.

Advice to visitors, if a door is closed, leave it that way. In my house there are booby traps for people who poke their noses in.
Good for you. I can't imagine someone, other than a mother or MIL, doing that. I think it's incredibly rude. I consider the commenting more rude (unless the comment was something to the effect of "I do that to.") than the peeking.

On the other hand, I assume people will look in my medicine cabinet and in the cupboards in the bathroom, while the door is shut. They are welcome to look. I keep the spare toilet paper in the cupboard under the sink in the washroom. Most people figure that out.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #6758
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, I love your attitude to life - you remind me of my paternal grandmother whom I adored.

After a full day of cooking, cleaning and visiting with our company yesterday, today will be a day of rest. I am very sore and feel a slight cold coming on so snuggling in my recliner under my blanket with a good book or the TV remote is the game plan. I have an important football game to watch!
Thank you LP. The only person responsible for my happiness is me. I don't understand folks who go through life with a miserable attitude. How unhappy they must be.

Right now I am a happy, happy person. The skating season is here. My favorite sport to watch. I got interested in it when a 14 y.o. Dorothy Hamill broke down and cried because the audience was booing the judges score of the skater before her. She went on to win the Gold at the Olympics. I will make it a point to be home every weekend to watch it and follow American and Canadian skaters. Canada and England have given us some very strong competitors to go up against over the years.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #6759
Chef Extraordinaire

We just got home from visiting some old friends this weekend. It was great to see them again. I ate & drank way off my eating plan, it all tasted so good but I am feeling pretty quilty. Tomorrow night we need to leave again to go to my aunts wake in Minnesota.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #6760
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Thanks, taxlady. I INTEND to do well. Just the stubborn Irish in me.

As for the cookies, I'm over the moon. He's described them many, many times and each time he talked about them I saw a wonderful memory reflected in his face. I so wanted to find the right recipe. I am completely confident that there will be only crumbs left when I get home.
Were they Russian tea cakes, with ground almonds, covered with confectioner's sugar? I love those, too. DH doesn't like almonds, so I get to eat them all