What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are "egg noodles" the same as what I might call "ribbon pasta" or "Tagliatelle"?

I'm not sure exactly what those are :(
Egg noodles are a couple inches long, maybe .5 inches wide, kind of wavy and usually used as a bed like rice, or eaten with butter, but not usually used with tomato sauce... although I can't tell you why. Not that they couldn't be... Andy probably knows a British equivalent.

Egg noodles are a ribbon pasta similar to tagliatelle/fettuccine. Dry pastas such as fettuccine/tagliatelle usually don't contain egg. Also, as pac said, egg noodles are only a few inches long.

I'm not sure exactly what those are :(
Egg noodles are a couple inches long, maybe .5 inches wide, kind of wavy and usually used as a bed like rice, or eaten with butter, but not usually used with tomato sauce... although I can't tell you why. Not that they couldn't be... Andy probably knows a British equivalent.

I literally don't know anything like what you described Pac!

Unless.... when you describe the dimensions are you talking about the dried product? When you cook it, does it look a bit like spaghetti? Because that might be actually what I call egg noodles too! (But here, we use noodles with Chinese style dishes).

(Reading Andy's comments - obviously not)

Last edited:
Egg noodles are a ribbon pasta similar to tagliatelle/fettuccine. Dry pastas such as fettuccine/tagliatelle usually don't contain egg. Also, as pac said, egg noodles are only a few inches long.

Thanks Andy. I Googled, but I haven't found a picture.

Katy, try googling egg noodles and view the images.

See above! :LOL: I couldn't see anything that is half an inch wide by a couple of inches long and wavy!

I have a feeling it is called something else entirely over here and that there is no way it exists in my local store!

images

Love them with butter and a bit of black pepper and fresh chopped parsley.

Last edited:
Okay, if you took a flat sheet of lasagne, cut it half lengthwise, and curled the edges, would that be what you are talking about? I think I saw something like that on Australian Masterchef - but I can't remember what they called it (It was an Italian name.)

Okay, if you took a flat sheet of lasagne, cut it half lengthwise, and curled the edges, would that be what you are talking about? I think I saw something like that on Australian Masterchef - but I can't remember what they called it (It was an Italian name.)

It may be the curly edges that are throwing you, they can be straight edged. The egg noodles we get here are as pictured. Also, we get Amish ones, they're thicker. Think hearty chicken noodle soup. Or Beef Stroganoff.

Also, you can get fine egg noodles.

Last edited:
It may be the curly edges that are throwing you, they can be straight edged. The egg noodles we get here are as pictured. Also, we get Amish ones, they're thicker. Think hearty chicken noodle soup. Or Beef Stroganoff.

Also, you can get fine egg noodles.

Fine egg noodles are in abundance here! (As are "medium" egg noodles). But they are "Chinese" and look nothing at all like these pics! :LOL: And as I mentioned earlier, we use them with stir fries and other Chinese dishes. (And very delicious too, I might add.)

The thing is, the Italian and Chinese "noodles" and "pasta" appear to be all but identical in terms of ingredients.

Anyway, I have learned something new! :)

Does the name "pappardelle" sound familiar Katy? It's one of my favorite pastas to use because it is SO wide the sauce and stuff clings to it like crazy. :yum:

Mafalda or mafaldine!

Mafaldine.JPG

Does the name "pappardelle" sound familiar Katy? It's one of my favorite pastas to use because it is SO wide the sauce and stuff clings to it like crazy. :yum:

That's what's nice about egg noodles, they are short and wavy and sauce (or butter) loves to cling to them :yum:

Anyway, I hope you run into some, Katy. I'll be thinking of you and other Brits today when I stock up on egg noodles ;)

For a side dish, try this:

Spread a portion of egg noodles in a sheet pan and bake it in a 350ºF oven. Toast the dry noodles until they are a uniform brown color then add to a pot of boiling, salted water and cook until done. Drain and toss with butter (and Parmesan cheese if desired). Delicious!

Back
Top Bottom