What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What noodles??? I am worn out from Googling!

Anyway, back to pierogies.... at least they have something other than the dumpling and the potatoes... there is, (according to Wiki), meat or cheese or fruit in there too...

Now, I am going to look up Kluski noodles.... *trudges back to Google*

Update: Kluski "noodles" aren't "noodles" at all! They are made out of potato! (Sound nice though). :)
I don't know if this works with other browser, but it works with FireFox and I think it works with Chrome. Just highlight the term and right click. A menu pops up that includes "Search Google for _______". It pops the search into a new tab.

I don't know if this works with other browser, but it works with FireFox and I think it works with Chrome. Just highlight the term and right click. A menu pops up that includes "Search Google for _______". It pops the search into a new tab.

I have that in my Google toolbar (which Firefox doesn't allow, but IE does). I'm just not sure if the same answers pop up if you are in a different Internet zone (UK, AU...).
From what I read Eastern European kluski noodles are potato based, whereas the ones I mentioned are not.
Pasta can be tricky for sure, which some of us are learning. :)

Hm, I won't lie, I was a tad sceptical there TL! But I just tried it and when I highlighted and right-clicked, I got an option to "search Bing". Clicking on that brought up the details! Very cool! :cool:

Now, all I have to do is remember to do that! :rolleyes:

I have that in my Google toolbar (which Firefox doesn't allow, but IE does). I'm just not sure if the same answers pop up if you are in a different Internet zone (UK, AU...).
From what I read Eastern European kluski noodles are potato based, whereas the ones I mentioned are not.
Pasta can be tricky for sure, which some of us are learning. :)

I think it is fair to say that as a UK user, my search results are not the same as yours Pac. Google skews results depending on where you are I think?

I think it is fair to say that as a UK user, my search results are not the same as yours Pac. Google skews results depending on where you are I think?

Oh, most definitely.
That's why it was a bit off/odd a while back to hear some members saying this was an international forum. You might be able to find it internationally, but it is based here in the USA. And the things we talk about, including foods, dates and time, reflect so. As they say, When in Rome...
I've hung out at other forums where I had to do the same, search Google because I didn't understand something yet everyone else was on the same page.
It's good to learn IMO.

Hm, I won't lie, I was a tad sceptical there TL! But I just tried it and when I highlighted and right-clicked, I got an option to "search Bing". Clicking on that brought up the details! Very cool! :cool:

Now, all I have to do is remember to do that! :rolleyes:
I have a search window near the top of my browser. I can choose among many search engines. It searches whichever one I have selected at the moment. I often use it to search Wikipedia. If you are using FF, you can customize which search engines it shows.

Oh, most definitely.
That's why it was a bit off/odd a while back to hear some members saying this was an international forum. You might be able to find it internationally, but it is based here in the USA. And the things we talk about, including foods, dates and time, reflect so. As they say, When in Rome...
I've hung out at other forums where I had to do the same, search Google because I didn't understand something yet everyone else was on the same page.
It's good to learn IMO.

I always accept that when a forum is from a specific place, you are an "outsider". I have been on American forums for a good few years now (they tend to be more "active" I find.)

Personally, I love finding out about cultural differences and food seems to be a truly excellent way of doing that! :)

It certainly does, Katy.
I still remember my receiving Tim Tams in place of Heinz Ketchup. Worked for me. I was growing tired of hearing how good Tim Tams were, but not being able to get any. I never did get the hang of using them as a straw though.

It certainly does, Katy.
I still remember my receiving Tim Tams in place of Heinz Ketchup. Worked for me. I was growing tired of hearing how good Tim Tams were, but not being able to get any. I never did get the hang of using them as a straw though.

Well, I had no idea what Tim Tams were so I utilised TL's method and ..... they are biscuits. They are not Ketchup... or straws... I guess I am missing something? :unsure:

TL, that is definitely a swifter way of looking things up! I hope I remember it tomorrow! :blush: (Seriously, feel free to remind me!)

Came home from the pool, closed due to the lightening. It's overcast & the air feels thick. A lot of lightening but no rain.

Our pool is an indoor one and is closed due to the Fed. shutdown. It is Federally funded. But run by the City. Go figure. :angel:

As most of you who remember their American History, The Salem Witch Trials happened up on the North Shore here. Unless this Fed. shutdown ends in time, there will be no Halloween in Salem this year. This is the biggest tourist attraction for this small city. There are several other sites that are also maintained by the Parks Dept. and are registered Historical Sites in this city. They too are closed. Along with the beaches along the lower Cape. The Freedom Trail, and anything having to do with the Revolutionary War. All run by the Federal Parks Dept. I hope this all ends soon. :angel:

Chicken noodle soup with egg noodles?! :ohmy:
Everyone knows you use kluski noodles ;)
Pac, these are as scarce as hen's teeth up here:
571030.jpg

When we visit the kids in OH we are sure to stock up on them or similar noodles. Nothing better in soup!

As most of you who remember their American History, The Salem Witch Trials happened up on the North Shore here. Unless this Fed. shutdown ends in time, there will be no Halloween in Salem this year. This is the biggest tourist attraction for this small city. There are several other sites that are also maintained by the Parks Dept. and are registered Historical Sites in this city. They too are closed. Along with the beaches along the lower Cape. The Freedom Trail, and anything having to do with the Revolutionary War. All run by the Federal Parks Dept. I hope this all ends soon. :angel:

Don't worry Addie, Salem will have Halloween. The bars are not run by the federal government. There are private tourist sites that will be open. The shops are privately owned. The tourists will come. ;) As you can see by this article there are just a couple sites affected by the shutdown - and the city is handling getting info to the tourists. It's all good. I just hope my SIL and her husband weren't planning on seeing any parks out west - they flew out to CO last Friday. Oops!

I'm catching up here at DC after a fun day. We did a Penzeys Pilgrimage ($48 and my list was long! so "not bad") and got some fresh-pressed apple cider. I want to brine some thick boneless pork chops for the grill. Not too much salt, some fresh sage, and maybe a bit of cinnamon. We'll see what smells good when I get around to dunking them. And then there was the 2-hour call with our daughter - an hour for each parent. ;) Finally, my baseball season came to an end this evening.
smiley-sad023.gif
That's OK, Cleveland sports fans have a mantra: Wait Till Next Year. Still waiting... :LOL:

Well, I had no idea what Tim Tams were so I utilised TL's method and ..... they are biscuits. They are not Ketchup... or straws... I guess I am missing something? :unsure:

TL, that is definitely a swifter way of looking things up! I hope I remember it tomorrow! :blush: (Seriously, feel free to remind me!)

I was agreeing with you that forums are a great way to learn about foods you would not hear about otherwise.
Long ago I did a mail exchange with someone in Australia. I sent them Heinz ketchup, which they said they could not get, and they sent me Tim Tams, which could not be gotten here at the time.
This exchange was due to them and other Aussies mentioning Tim Tams now and then and us Americans talking about our ketchup, which I believe they call tomato sauce. Of course now you can pretty much buy anything on Amazon.

I was agreeing with you that forums are a great way to learn about foods you would not hear about otherwise.
Long ago I did a mail exchange with someone in Australia. I sent them Heinz ketchup, which they said they could not get, and they sent me Tim Tams, which could not be gotten here at the time.
This exchange was due to them and other Aussies mentioning Tim Tams now and then and us Americans talking about our ketchup, which I believe they call tomato sauce. Of course now you can pretty much buy anything on Amazon.

Next time you go to Wegman's look for Tim Tams in the International Food section or the cookie cracker aisle. Some of the bigger stores have them.

Back
Top Bottom