"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #6931
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
A long, long time ago, when DH was in the Navy, he asked me to iron his clothes and they had to be done a particular way. I said, I'm not in the Navy, dude. Iron your own clothes. And that's the way it's been for 28 years heehee
That's kinda how I got started. I was a kid and mom was ironing. I asked if I could try it. Big mistake, mom never ironed for me again.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #6932
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Dh got a wild hair & pulled all of the clothes out of my closet. Went through all of them, good feeling. ZGot rid of alot of pants & shirts that are way to big on me. Feels great! There were a few I wanted to keep just because I liked them so much even though they were to big but dh said absolutely not, they are all going to good will.

Excellent!!! See, he's been paying attention!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #6933
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, SB. It's my calling, I love my old folks.
very good way to put it, sb and pf--a calling, that could even be spiritual in nature-- but a summons which is highly personal and deeply meaningful, for certain. yes, I believe that you answer to a special voice, pf. but you keep your feet firmly planted on the ground as you minister to those in your care. the spiritual and the material have found a perfect balance within you, and you carry them with an easy grace wherever you go, pf....
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #6934
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Taking online Continuing Education Courses for my Nursing License...need 13 hours...Procrastinator's 'r' Us...arrrrgh!
My poor DIL. She has learned that when my son is working on his MCE, leave him alone. Don't even attempt to feed him. She usually takes the baby and goes out for the day. Don't feel bad, he too waits until the last minute.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #6935
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
very good way to put it, sb and pf--a calling, that could even be spiritual in nature-- but a summons which is highly personal and deeply meaningful, for certain. yes, I believe that you answer to a special voice, pf. but you keep your feet firmly planted on the ground as you minister to those in your care. the spiritual and the material have found a perfect balance within you, and you carry them with an easy grace wherever you go, pf....

Thank you, Vit!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #6936
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My poor DIL. She has learned that when my son is working on his MCE, leave him alone. Don't even attempt to feed him. She usually takes the baby and goes out for the day. Don't feel bad, he too waits until the last minute.
Now I have 5 hours to go... Hoping to have it done this weekend so I can enjoy the holidays.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #6937
Certified Pretend Chef

Earlier, I assembled a new piece of furniture. Then I deconstructed a turkey into boneless breasts and thighs for future meals and chopped the rest up for stock for Thanksgiving. Then I had to clean up and sanitize half the kitchen.

My shoulder is letting me know it is not happy with this unscheduled burst of activity. I guess Ill be a little sore for a day or two.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #6938
Chef Extraordinaire

I just packaged up my caramelized onions in 1-cup measures and put them in the freezer. Next is to make the tiramisu cheesecake for DH's birthday dinner tonight (we're celebrating tonight, although his b'day isn't till Wednesday). I also need to put the lasagna together (didn't get to it yesterday) and finish the focaccia. Better get going.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #6939
Chef Extraordinaire

I made a chocolate cream pie for Spike yesterday. I had forgotten that the recipe made the chocolate a little too bitter for my taste. But Spike loves it.

Today I have a smoked shoulder on the stove. I have to stop picking at it. Spike picked it out for me. I usually get a Smithfield, but this was a maverick brand and it is really good. A lot of flavor. I need to peel a couple of potatoes and carrots.

I have two appointments this week. The make up one with the eye surgeon and one with my vascular doctor. I also missed my appointment with my cardiologist. I will have to make that one up also. But I want to wait until after all my surgery stuff is done with. And with the holidays coming up, medical stuff is the last thiing I want to deal with.

I was in the mist of a very severe bout with the psoriasis. So bad, they were considering putting me in the hospital so I could get some around the clock treatment. Two days ago, I woke up and was in the middle of going into remission. They do know that stress plays a big part with this disease. So maybe it was all the stress from my eyes and my daughter that was creating the flareup. Once the eye surgery was done on one eye, it reduced a lot of the stress.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #6940
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished making a batch of croutons.