"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #6981
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Good for you! Doesn't that feel great? I like to get the shopping done early so I can go out and "people watch" right before Christmas. Relaxing to watch the others shopping and rushing around when I am finished. I can enjoy a cup of tea while watching others scurry about. The decorations at the malls are much prettier when your shopping is finished. Also it leaves more time to drive around and look at the light displays.

Dud you play Christmas music while wrapping the gifts?
That is such a good idea Chops...watch others madly rush around

It is nice to be organised

I dont play Christmas music whilst wrapping the presents but I like the idea, we have Christmas music playing all Christmas Day though

Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #6982
Chef Extraordinaire

Sitting down for the first time since 6 am this morning & it's 10:30 pm now. Full day. Work was busy, got all the grocery shopping done, crazy busy grocery store, got home, made a layered, brownie andes mint dessert, cleaned the house, made a hotdish for the early ones coming tomorrow & got the turkey marinating. Whew! Feels good to sit down for awhile before bed.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #6983
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Sitting down for the first time since 6 am this morning & it's 10:30 pm now. Full day. Work was busy, got all the grocery shopping done, crazy busy grocery store, got home, made a layered, brownie Andes mint dessert, cleaned the house, made a hot-dish for the early ones coming tomorrow & got the turkey marinating. Whew! Feels good to sit down for awhile before bed.
I envy folks who can go all day like that. I used to. But age has caught up with me. I keep telling myself that it is time for the next generation to take over. I still resent handing it over to them. I am not done yet. My mind would like to tell me I can still do it all. Then when I listen to my mind, the chest pains remind me very quickly that I can't. Give it up Addie. It is very hard to sit back and watch others do what I used to do.

When my kids were small, I used to have days like yours. There was always something left undone at the end of the day. So I would get up early before anyone else was awake, and iron that blouse, or shirt, make those cupcakes for the school party, etc.

Sit back and do nothing. You earned a good rest. And think, all that activity is a contributing factor to your losing more weight.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #6984
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I went to the shops again, gee it is getting busy out there!

I bought some new kitchen canisters, the same ones that we bought for mum for Christmas yesterday...I liked them so much I had to have some too

I also bought mum another present, a novel called Fifty Shades of Grey

Also another present for mum to give me, a set of Pepper and Salt Mills..they were $50.00 for the pair and really good quality

Them mum came over this afternoon for coffee
Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #6985
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm not really looking forward to shopping today, but it's payday for me, and I need stuff.

I combined my grocery lists so that I can get everything at Walmart, paying more for the grocery portion, and making my Save-A-Lot trip for sometime next week.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #6986
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Today I went to the shops again, gee it is getting busy out there!

I bought some new kitchen canisters, the same ones that we bought for mum for Christmas yesterday...I liked them so much I had to have some too

I also bought mum another present, a novel called Fifty Shades of Grey

Also another present for mum to give me, a set of Pepper and Salt Mills..they were $50.00 for the pair and really good quality

Them mum came over this afternoon for coffee
Kylie, it sounds like you and your Mum have a very special close relationship. Treasure it and don't ever lose it.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #6987
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Kylie, it sounds like you and your Mum have a very special close relationship. Treasure it and don't ever lose it.
Thanks Ads, yes we sure do

We have always been close, I think though, that we got even closer when my dad died back in 2000.

Mum is one of my best friends and I can talk with her about anything, I always want to have her around, she is great company and very trendy for her age

Steve and mum get along famously too...not bad for a son and MIL
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #6988
Chef Extraordinaire

Good morning!

Today I have to do the grocery shopping..but no ironing...YAY, I did all that last night before tea

I am going to make some tuna mornay for lunch and then a bit of housework this afternoon.

Steve is going out for a work lunch today as one of his colleagues is leaving tomorrow, so he will enjoy that

Hope everyone is having a nice day/night
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #6989
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

+1
Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #6990
Executive Chef

Kylie, I love the relationship you and your mum have. My mom and I were very close. My Hubby also had a fantastic relationship with my mom. In fact when he stood up and talked at her funeral he teased about the fact that he was her favorite. You see, she was good at making everyone feel so special, and and some point everyone got to be her favorite. Thanks for sharing your stories of doing things with your mum. I love hearing them. My mom has been gone nearly 2 years now, and I couldn't miss her any more.