"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #7051
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

This is not the time of year to not be feeling well. I have some Christmas music playing just for you. I hope you can hear it.
Christmas music, what a great idea! I'm going to go turn some on right now. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #7052
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Been fighting off a cold for several days (I always seem to get sick when I have time off of work-and I had all this week off) so I decided to try to sleep in this morning. At 5:30 am I started coughing and woke right up. Knowing I needed rest, I got up and drank some water. Still coughing, so I grabbed a cough drop and propped myself up in bed. Still some coughing, but managed to get some more rest. Now I am having hot tea and thinking about what to eat for breakfast.
It sounds like you and I have the same thing. I also woke up this morning with a case of laryngitis and tonight is our big Thanksgiving meal at my sons house. I just hope I don't pass this on to anyone else.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #7053
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Did you live at my house? That is just what we did when I was growing up. ;)
That is why I was so surprised at the article. It took him three full pages. All he had to do was join DC and ask.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #7054
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
It sounds like you and I have the same thing. I also woke up this morning with a case of laryngitis and tonight is our big Thanksgiving meal at my sons house. I just hope I don't pass this on to anyone else.
One year at the start of the Christmas vacation from school, my youngest got the flu. He was sick the whole time. He missed the first day back to school. Come February vacation, he had a relaspe. Spent the whol vacation in bed again. Missed half of the first week back to school. Come spring vation, he had another relaspe. Spent the whole vacation in bed. He couldn't shake that dang flu until the middle of June. Just in time to come down with chicken pox.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #7055
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

One year at the start of the Christmas vacation from school, my youngest got the flu. He was sick the whole time. He missed the first day back to school. Come February vacation, he had a relaspe. Spent the whol vacation in bed again. Missed half of the first week back to school. Come spring vation, he had another relaspe. Spent the whole vacation in bed. He couldn't shake that dang flu until the middle of June. Just in time to come down with chicken pox.
Since I work for a school district, I get that time off of work now. I was sick over the Christmas break last year-really sick! At least this hasn't been too bad, and I seem to feel ok during the day. BTW, the Christmas music is helping.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #7056
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Hope that cold goes away quickly Chopper. They are such a nuisance. You don't feel that you are sick enough to "act sick", take off work, get needed rest.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #7057
Chef Extraordinaire

JoAnn, laryngitis isn't usually contagious. On the other hand, if it is a symptom of something else, then that something else might be contagious. No kissing your family hello, etc.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #7058
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
JoAnn, laryngitis isn't usually contagious. On the other hand, if it is a symptom of something else, then that something else might be contagious. No kissing your family hello, etc.
+1 Start a new tradition. Shake hands while doing a nice curtsy.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #7059
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
+1 Start a new tradition. Shake hands while doing a nice curtsy.
When I was a kid, family visits was all shaking hands. I thought it was cool. Kid cousins shaking hands with each other and with the grownups. Outside of Scandinavian families, I never saw anyone shake hands with a kid.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #7060
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I was a kid, family visits was all shaking hands. I thought it was cool. Kid cousins shaking hands with each other and with the grownups. Outside of Scandinavian families, I never saw anyone shake hands with a kid.
I never got into hugging until I was an adult. It was my girlfriend in California. Whenever she sees me, her and her husband just grab me and give me the biggest hugs. Today I will give everyone a hug. My middle son married a girl from Naples, Italy. That is how we got into the double kiss. That was the longest dangest reception line of double kisses at their wedding I ever saw. I thought I was going to get chapped cheeks.