What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure my neighbors-from-hell have a name for me :LOL: but other than that I don't know of any colloquial name or phrase that is given to people who move in to MA or Boston. Personally, Himself refers to us as the "exiled". :ROFLMAO:

That sounds like such a happy project to be working on Katie! A little music in the background, a plate of wedding dinner foods, and it will be like being there all over again.

Besides Addie, for those of us not born or reared around these parts, Boston IS "another country". :wacko: I know I know, danged foreigners. Well that's me, a danged Ohio born-and-bred foreigner! :LOL:

I have lived all over the U.S. I have always accepted where ever I lived as home. Of course my accent gave me away as someone from Boston. But I cannot recall anyone ever considering me as an outsider. I have always considered myself a member of the community of where I planted my feet each morning. I always tried to become involved in the community with volunteer work. The best way I know of to get to know and like your neighbors. I have never made derogatory remarks about the town or area where I lived. Sure I found some traditions strange. But I just jumped in and participated and kept my mouth shut. In the process I would learn something new about the people and the area. I love learning.

For those who for one reason or another have come to Boston to live, I say "Welcome." We have a lot of history here. Dig in and enjoy it. I certainly don't consider anyone who has moved here a foreigner. They are just new members of the community. And I am sure each one has something to contribute. :angel:

Last edited:
Addie, I was brought to MA (and we're hardly in "Boston", but 60 miles and an hour and a half by car) kicking and screaming. Himself doesn't call it a "move" or "transfer" but rather being sent to exile. We had visited New England quite a few times before we moved here and always enjoyed ourselves and had delightful times. When we moved in I immersed myself in my neighborhood and community and never felt I wasn't involved. Heck, when we first moved here we were one of the first families to live on the street. By the time all 29 houses were built I knew who the family was in each one. How? I welcomed them to the neighborhood with either a dinner or a home-baked something when I would go introduce myself. I was on our block party committee for a number of years till I figured it was someone else's chance to be part of that group. BUT, my "foreigner" comment mostly was due to the fact that things are SO very different here in MA than in many other parts of the country that it FEELS like a different country. Since you're originally FROM Boston you probably don't notice, but people I know from other areas of the country that moved here DO notice that it's "different" up here. BTW, about half my neighbors relocated here from other parts of the country. Many of them also find MA to be a lot like its own little country, so it's not just me! :LOL:

The reason we are different is because we are still living our history. Fanuiel Hall is exactly the same way it was when John Adams defended the British Soldiers for the Boston Massacre there. The very same pews that George Washington, Paul Revere and other Founding Fathers sat in are still the same ones. We do have some strange laws that protect our history.

We don't like any change that is going to let us forget our history. During tourist season, we do not find it unusual for see Ben Franklin walking around giving lectures to the visitors. As far as we are concerned, he is the real deal. Some of the cobblestones are the very ones that our forefathers walked on. No, we will not pave that street over. That would be considered paving over our history. We do have strange driving laws. If double parking is impeding your progress, then drive past it on the sidewalk. And a lot of the surrounding cities and towns are part of that history. Other than fire, you can't tear down certain buildings to replace it without a long drawn out process.

Even Cape Cod has laws that do not allow any new building above so many feet. And all new buildings have to have that "Cape Cod" look. Grey shingles, certain colors, etc. It is all part of their history.

Some visitors think we are cold and indifferent. Others have found us to be very friendly. It all depends on the season. In the cold of winter we are bundled up and on our way. :angel:

I thought I would report back on how yesterday's interview went.

I got the job!! :ohmy::w00t2:

I thought it had gone well, but it was my first interview in something like 15 years, so I couldn't be totally sure. But I just got the call a few minutes ago. They have do a security check on me now, so I can't start til the Monday after next. But that's fine - it gives me some time to get some new office clothes! :)

In the meantime, I have another interview this afternoon - I decided to still go ahead with it - but the pressure is off now - so if I fail the pesky maths test, it won't matter!

I am one happy bunny right now! :bunny::bounce: (Also perhaps a little hyper...) :rolleyes:

images

Way to go, Katy!

I got the job!! :ohmy::w00t2:

I thought it had gone well, but it was my first interview in something like 15 years, so I couldn't be totally sure. But I just got the call a few minutes ago. They have do a security check on me now, so I can't start til the Monday after next. But that's fine - it gives me some time to get some new office clothes! :)

In the meantime, I have another interview this afternoon - I decided to still go ahead with it - but the pressure is off now - so if I fail the pesky maths test, it won't matter!

I am one happy bunny right now! :bunny::bounce: (Also perhaps a little hyper...) :rolleyes:

Congrats Katy! That's excellent news.

I'm going to mix the turkey necks with garlic, onions and gravy, with the brown rice cooked in the turkey stock, and package in quart size zip bags for the freezer.

Quick and easy dinners just nuke and eat. Definitely worth the original work.

Gotta get the hair washed so I can head out and pay the car insurance in full and get our little discount for full-pay.

The reason we are different is because we are still living our history. Fanuiel Hall is exactly the same way it was when John Adams defended the British Soldiers for the Boston Massacre there. The very same pews that George Washington, Paul Revere and other Founding Fathers sat in are still the same ones. We do have some strange laws that protect our history......
Addie, Addie, Addie, all over the country cities and states preserve their history. Boston doesn't hold an exclusive on it. And I'm sure Faneuil has changed a bit - pretty sure Build-a-Bear didn't have a shop there over 200 years ago. ;)

You've mentioned that you never drove. Trust me, driving on the sidewalk in the North End isn't "legal", it's just done. After we moved here and I saw how the locals drive I got a book from the Registry with all the laws. I read it. Nope, sidewalk driving isn't legal. And did you know that pedestrians are supposed to walk with the light in a crosswalk? If not, the driver doesn't HAVE to yield to them, the car has the right-of-way. And no, I did not declare "open season" on pedestrians after that. :LOL:

I got the job!! :ohmy::w00t2:..................

YAY! I am so happy for you! Congrats! Good luck on the new job. Hope you have an enjoyable time. Unfortunately, we'll probably see less of you around here now...

Bet you ace that math test now that the pressure is off. ;)

Congratulations, Katy!
Great news.

Thanks Pac - great news indeed! (And quite a relief too!)

Congrats Katy! That's excellent news.

Thanks very much P.A.G!
Yay Katy!!!! I'm so very happy for you. What kind of work will you be doing???

Thanks so much PF! I will be a Program Co-ordinator, working at a police training facility. They do residential training and development for senior police officers (both UK and overseas). The "office" is in the grounds of a mansion house and a beautiful setting. (Lots of pheasants and geese around I noticed!)

Way to go, Katy! Congrats!
Thanks DL!

Katy, that's great news! Congratulations!

Would you stop being so nice Andy – it’s downright unnerving!! :-p (But seriously, thanks very much!) :)

Great news Katie.

I know! Brilliant isn't it? I am very excited!
YAY! I am so happy for you! Congrats! Good luck on the new job. Hope you have an enjoyable time. Unfortunately, we'll probably see less of you around here now...
Bet you ace that math test now that the pressure is off.

Sadly no, I won't be able to stay up til the early hours when I start. I will have to do most of my catching up at the weekends!

As for the maths test? I didn't "ace" it, but I didn't embarrass myself either! Phew! (I got 15 correct answers out of 17). The interview went very well, but they are doing second interviews next Wednesday, so I wasn't going to keep the other people waiting and decided to just stay with them as the job was more interesting to me. (The second job was in HR at a commercial finance company.)

What an amazing couple of days! My confidence has been at a very low ebb after so many rejections. But this has given me a real boost!

I'll stop going on about it now, but thanks for all the lovely kind words and support - it is very much appreciated! :wub:

Back
Top Bottom