"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #721
Master Chef

Last winter we had a record number of deer in our neighborhood. We aren't in the country, not even in a subdivision. My husband joked with me as I came in, that he'd finally found the pet for us (he was thinking of adopting a dog), but he was afraid I thought she'd be too big. "She's out in the yard." I looked out the window and there was a doe who took up lonely residence for the afternoon. Eventually her group picked her up and she moved on. One morning I looked out the window to find two large stags walking down my street, looking for all the world like they owned the neighborhood. Much as I love looking at them, I don't like seeing them this far into town because it isn't good for THEM. It means foraging isn't going good out on the farmlands and wooded areas around the town. But they are beautiful to watch.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #722
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Just thought I would let you know I think I found the recipe for fudge my mother made. I guess the recipe was on Hershey's Cocoa container many years ago. I read some of the reviews and it sure sounds like this is it. I am going to give it a try.
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/5303...coa-Fudge.aspx
This looks a lot like my Mom's recipe too. Thanks for sharing! I might just try it as well.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #723
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Last winter we had a record number of deer in our neighborhood. We aren't in the country, not even in a subdivision. My husband joked with me as I came in, that he'd finally found the pet for us (he was thinking of adopting a dog), but he was afraid I thought she'd be too big. "She's out in the yard." I looked out the window and there was a doe who took up lonely residence for the afternoon. Eventually her group picked her up and she moved on. One morning I looked out the window to find two large stags walking down my street, looking for all the world like they owned the neighborhood. Much as I love looking at them, I don't like seeing them this far into town because it isn't good for THEM. It means foraging isn't going good out on the farmlands and wooded areas around the town. But they are beautiful to watch.
Claire you reminded me of all the time I spend at my ex-MIL's in the Okanagan area of our province. She lived on the side of a hill and there was a treed area on one side and empty lot on the other. Deer used to walk through the yard to get from the safety of the trees to the good eats on the other side. They were there every year and while they were a beautiful site, they were also a nuisance because they ate foliage and stomped on plants in my MIL's and her neighbours below. They also became too used to humans around them which was not good for them.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #724
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
This looks a lot like my Mom's recipe too. Thanks for sharing! I might just try it as well.
I have often gone to Hershey's site for recipes that call for cocoa or chocolate. For years they had the recipe for chocolate syrup. Then when I went to look for it, it was gone. And it was no where on its site. I sent an email, and they set me the recipe. Bless their chocolate hearts. I have found over the years that their chocolate cake recipe on the back of their cocoa can makes a really moist cake. My favorite cake recipe. When you are looking for a certain recipe, go to the maker of the most prevalent ingredient. Works for me.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #725
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When you are looking for a certain recipe, go to the maker of the most prevalent ingredient. Works for me.
Very good point, Addie!

Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #726
Executive Chef

I bought myself a solid oak work bench for Christmas and I really need to put it together and set it up in the garage so I can replace all my window screens with pet resistant screen.

Fortunately, all three sliding screens are already pet resistant, and I only have four windows in the house with screens.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #727
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I bought myself a solid oak work bench for Christmas and I really need to put it together and set it up in the garage so I can replace all my window screens with pet resistant screen.
Fortunately, all three sliding screens are already pet resistant, and I only have four windows in the house with screens.
Never heard of pet resistant screen! We could really use it on our front screen door, one window and sliding patio door. Sir, can you give me some details?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #728
Master Chef

^^^ Very nice wooden bench SLoB. My workbench has a lot of junk on it, every time I need to use it takes a while to clear the bench and within a few days it'll be full of stuff again. I wish my life in the garage was simpler than this.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #729
Master Chef

I just took out chicken thighs to thaw for chicken-noodle soup. Even though I went for groceries yesterday, I still forgot a few things. So, I'm going out again in a bit.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #730
Master Chef

Just got done making treat packages of Christmas candy for the grandkids. I took empty paper towel rolls and cut them in half, I put the candy inside and wrapped them with sparkling red tissue paper, then I tied the ends with red and green curling ribbon. They turned out so cute, I think the little one will like them.