"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #7321
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I go into the loudest store in the mall with the most obnoxious, to me, music and buy gift cards for the kids. They are always delighted.

a unique approach--just what we've come to expect from you, pf. you know how to sniff'em out, girl....

Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #7322
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thanks for your help, guys. you are right, and i shouldn't be agonizing over apparel choices for a teenage boy anymore. it's just that i'm reluctant to give up the personal aspect of gift giving to my grandkids. i guess that on some level i've been aware of the fact that my two oldest grands are truly gleeful only at the sight of gift cards from their fave stores. it's not an easy truth for me to swallow, however. these days, thoughtful handmade or handpicked gifts don't stand a chance against the gift of plastic. but, easy peasy, right?
My grandboy is only 2 so I have a few years left to pick and choose anything I like, and know he'll be happy with it. I dread the day when Mimi's taste is outdated.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #7323
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
a unique approach--just what we've come to expect from you, pf. you know how to sniff'em out, girl....
While I am in the store I always look for any Graphic Novel T-shirts for myself...
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #7324
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kat View Post
My grandboy is only 2 so I have a few years left to pick and choose anything I like, and know he'll be happy with it. I dread the day when Mimi's taste is outdated.
Ah, by then they have other interests you can be enthusiastic about.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #7325
Chef Extraordinaire

We have just got home from the Indian restaurant, it was a lovely meal

Now we are very full, thinking of still going on our nightly walk but waiting for our stomachs to settle
Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #7326
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was all set to go to Ikea and buy some dining room chairs. I have the chairs picked out and the website said that they were in stock at "my Ikea". Then I noticed that on Tuesdays there is a special on a Swedish meatball meal. w00t! So, I went to print out my shopping list and the chairs were no longer in stock!

I'll check tomorrow morning. They wrote that they will be in tomorrow. If we go in the morning, we can have their cheapie breakfast. If the chairs aren't in the morning, I will check later in the day and we can go when Stirling finishes work, but morning would be better.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #7327
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wondering if your doc would consider 600 mg three times a day...
First I have to find out what is wrong. My mind is working overtime on this. I am now wondering if I have a clot in my thigh. I have a stent in the groin in that area. I notice if I rest more than walk, the pain lets up. I am trying to not let Winthrop know about this latest problem until after my eye surgery. I go for the pre-op on Monday, and then the surgery on the 18th. I think if I was asked right now, do you want to lose your leg or have your eye surgery, I would let the leg go. That is how important the eye surgery is to me. The eye problem has been going on since last January when I first noticed a big change in my vision.

If I stay still for at least 30 minutes, the Vicodin kicks in and does a good job of pain management. Plus I have also taken my gabapentin the first thing in the morning. Because they are going to give me anesthesia for the surgery, I don't know if I can take the Vicodin before I leave the house that morning. I can take all my other medications. But then the instructions for the Vic. is 2 tablets qid. So that would include two with my usual morning meds. Right now I am so confused about this whole thing. The last thing I need is a new problem. At least until the 19th of December.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #7328
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was all set to go to Ikea and buy some dining room chairs. I have the chairs picked out and the website said that they were in stock at "my Ikea". Then I noticed that on Tuesdays there is a special on a Swedish meatball meal. w00t! So, I went to print out my shopping list and the chairs were no longer in stock!

I'll check tomorrow morning. They wrote that they will be in tomorrow. If we go in the morning, we can have their cheapie breakfast. If the chairs aren't in the morning, I will check later in the day and we can go when Stirling finishes work, but morning would be better.
Couldn't Ikea have put aside the chairs for you? Or at least give you a call when the new shipment comes in.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #7329
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
First I have to find out what is wrong. My mind is working overtime on this. I am now wondering if I have a clot in my thigh.
You know a clot could kill you or cause a stroke or heart attack, right?

Quote:
I have a stent in the groin in that area. I notice if I rest more than walk, the pain lets up. I am trying to not let Winthrop know about this latest problem until after my eye surgery. I go for the pre-op on Monday, and then the surgery on the 18th. I think if I was asked right now, do you want to lose your leg or have your eye surgery, I would let the leg go.
Sorry to be so blunt, but how about a stroke versus your leg? You really need to let your doctors know what's going on, especially the surgeon and anesthesiologist.

Quote:
Because they are going to give me anesthesia for the surgery, I don't know if I can take the Vicodin before I leave the house that morning. I can take all my other medications. But then the instructions for the Vic. is 2 tablets qid. So that would include two with my usual morning meds. Right now I am so confused about this whole thing.
Only your doctor can tell you.

I know you know this, but doctors need to have the whole picture in order to give you the best care. Sometimes it takes one to know one
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #7330
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Couldn't Ikea have put aside the chairs for you? Or at least give you a call when the new shipment comes in.
I don't think they do that. But, I might be able to set up getting an email when they are in.