"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #7321
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I go into the loudest store in the mall with the most obnoxious, to me, music and buy gift cards for the kids. They are always delighted.

a unique approach--just what we've come to expect from you, pf. you know how to sniff'em out, girl....
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #7322
Cook
 
Chef Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mansfield, Texas
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thanks for your help, guys. you are right, and i shouldn't be agonizing over apparel choices for a teenage boy anymore. it's just that i'm reluctant to give up the personal aspect of gift giving to my grandkids. i guess that on some level i've been aware of the fact that my two oldest grands are truly gleeful only at the sight of gift cards from their fave stores. it's not an easy truth for me to swallow, however. these days, thoughtful handmade or handpicked gifts don't stand a chance against the gift of plastic. but, easy peasy, right?
My grandboy is only 2 so I have a few years left to pick and choose anything I like, and know he'll be happy with it. I dread the day when Mimi's taste is outdated.
__________________

__________________
Chef Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #7323
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
a unique approach--just what we've come to expect from you, pf. you know how to sniff'em out, girl....
While I am in the store I always look for any Graphic Novel T-shirts for myself...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #7324
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kat View Post
My grandboy is only 2 so I have a few years left to pick and choose anything I like, and know he'll be happy with it. I dread the day when Mimi's taste is outdated.
Ah, by then they have other interests you can be enthusiastic about.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #7325
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
We have just got home from the Indian restaurant, it was a lovely meal

Now we are very full, thinking of still going on our nightly walk but waiting for our stomachs to settle
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #7326
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was all set to go to Ikea and buy some dining room chairs. I have the chairs picked out and the website said that they were in stock at "my Ikea". Then I noticed that on Tuesdays there is a special on a Swedish meatball meal. w00t! So, I went to print out my shopping list and the chairs were no longer in stock!

I'll check tomorrow morning. They wrote that they will be in tomorrow. If we go in the morning, we can have their cheapie breakfast. If the chairs aren't in the morning, I will check later in the day and we can go when Stirling finishes work, but morning would be better.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #7327
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wondering if your doc would consider 600 mg three times a day...
First I have to find out what is wrong. My mind is working overtime on this. I am now wondering if I have a clot in my thigh. I have a stent in the groin in that area. I notice if I rest more than walk, the pain lets up. I am trying to not let Winthrop know about this latest problem until after my eye surgery. I go for the pre-op on Monday, and then the surgery on the 18th. I think if I was asked right now, do you want to lose your leg or have your eye surgery, I would let the leg go. That is how important the eye surgery is to me. The eye problem has been going on since last January when I first noticed a big change in my vision.

If I stay still for at least 30 minutes, the Vicodin kicks in and does a good job of pain management. Plus I have also taken my gabapentin the first thing in the morning. Because they are going to give me anesthesia for the surgery, I don't know if I can take the Vicodin before I leave the house that morning. I can take all my other medications. But then the instructions for the Vic. is 2 tablets qid. So that would include two with my usual morning meds. Right now I am so confused about this whole thing. The last thing I need is a new problem. At least until the 19th of December.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #7328
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was all set to go to Ikea and buy some dining room chairs. I have the chairs picked out and the website said that they were in stock at "my Ikea". Then I noticed that on Tuesdays there is a special on a Swedish meatball meal. w00t! So, I went to print out my shopping list and the chairs were no longer in stock!

I'll check tomorrow morning. They wrote that they will be in tomorrow. If we go in the morning, we can have their cheapie breakfast. If the chairs aren't in the morning, I will check later in the day and we can go when Stirling finishes work, but morning would be better.
Couldn't Ikea have put aside the chairs for you? Or at least give you a call when the new shipment comes in.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #7329
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
First I have to find out what is wrong. My mind is working overtime on this. I am now wondering if I have a clot in my thigh.
You know a clot could kill you or cause a stroke or heart attack, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have a stent in the groin in that area. I notice if I rest more than walk, the pain lets up. I am trying to not let Winthrop know about this latest problem until after my eye surgery. I go for the pre-op on Monday, and then the surgery on the 18th. I think if I was asked right now, do you want to lose your leg or have your eye surgery, I would let the leg go.
Sorry to be so blunt, but how about a stroke versus your leg? You really need to let your doctors know what's going on, especially the surgeon and anesthesiologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Because they are going to give me anesthesia for the surgery, I don't know if I can take the Vicodin before I leave the house that morning. I can take all my other medications. But then the instructions for the Vic. is 2 tablets qid. So that would include two with my usual morning meds. Right now I am so confused about this whole thing.
Only your doctor can tell you.

I know you know this, but doctors need to have the whole picture in order to give you the best care. Sometimes it takes one to know one
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #7330
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Couldn't Ikea have put aside the chairs for you? Or at least give you a call when the new shipment comes in.
I don't think they do that. But, I might be able to set up getting an email when they are in.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.