What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earlier start than usual for a Saturday. We were up at 6:30. Had showered and had breakfast by 7. Glenn's already on his way to his son's house to help with some of the last construction work on his huge two-bay garage. Not your typical 2-car structure. It's commercial-size, which will allow Kenneth to pursue his car business on the side when he wishes to.

I have some dough in the bread machine doing it's first rise before I turn it into French bread. As of last night I had orders for 28 loaves. I'm helping a friend who teaches at the area university. His class is going to London next month and they are raising spending money for their trip. They've created a very upscale bake sale concept tailored to people's Thanksgiving meals. All the goodies are to be delivered to the customers on Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

They just started selling their items this last Wednesday and if I've already gotten orders for 28 loaves by now, I imagine I'll be quite busy by delivery time.

Today is more of a "test" for me so I can determine how much time I'll have to set aside to fill multiple orders. I have two bread machines, each of which can process dough for 2 loaves. In theory I can make 4 loaves in a relatively short time if I stagger their start times.

It's fun for me and the bonus is the awesome way the baking bread makes the house smell.

That sounds fun Katie, I always had a blast making several things at once and doing the juggling with times, etc. Frustrating for some, but it's like zen for me.

As I look around the house, there's a kabillion things to do: clean off the dining room table that's become a holding center for all things not dining-related; pack up more stuff for Goodwill; pick up all the junk in the sunroom; put away laundry and do more; finish cleaning up the gardens; make a wreath from the evergreen prunings; etc. etc.

So what am I doing? Of course, watching "Chopped" and playing on DC....

Last edited:
That sounds fun Katie, I always had a blast making several things at once and doing the juggling with times, etc. Frustrating for some, but it's like zen for me.

That can be a hard concept for new cooks to grasp. Starting different foods at different times, and yet getting it all on the table at the same time and completely cooked. :angel:

As I look around the house, there's a kabillion things to do: clean off the dining room table that's become a holding center for all things not dining-related; pack up more stuff for Goodwill; pick up all the junk in the sunroom; put away laundry and do more; finish cleaning up the gardens; make a wreath from the evergreen prunings; etc. etc.

So what am I doing? Of course, watching "Chopped" and playing on DC....

The kids had all gone out on their own, I could finally use the dining room table for "projects!" Making reindeer candy canes, cutting out quilt squares, etc. There was always a project going on. :angel:

It is zen for me, too, Fi. I love to see the counter loaded with stacks of loaves of French bread. A great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.

I get the same feeling of satisfaction from a table filled with freshly washed laundry all stacked and folded.

Yep, I know. I'm weird.

I just got back from the farmer's market, the grocery store (just a few items), and the Feed 'n Seed store. I tried growing carrots from seed but only a few germinated, so I got a fresh package of seed and will try again. I also have some sprouting garlic that needs to go in the ground.

It is zen for me, too, Fi. I love to see the counter loaded with stacks of loaves of French bread. A great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.

I get the same feeling of satisfaction from a table filled with freshly washed laundry all stacked and folded.

Yep, I know. I'm weird.

That's why I love Fridays at work. My two co-workers are gone and I can strew my work over three desks, have three computers running and get so much more work done on my own. I move all three chairs out of the way and have at it. ohhmmmmmm....

The other day SO noticed there is a new Keurig store opening at a local mall. We thought we'd check it out and maybe get some Grand Opening deals. Not so. The K cups worked out to a little over $1 each. See you later.

Went through another box of Mom's stuff. I was gonna pitch the whole lot without going through it, so glad I didn't. Most of it was blank greeting cards, but I found a bunch of photos and a number of annual Christmas letters Mom had written, all very witty.

The other day SO noticed there is a new Keurig store opening at a local mall. We thought we'd check it out and maybe get some Grand Opening deals. Not so. The K cups worked out to a little over $1 each. See you later.

Wow. They aren't going to sell many machines if people think they have to pay those prices.

Sounds like a bum deal for a Keurig store!

Well, it's a fancy schmancy mall. The one "benefit" is they have a good selection and you can mix and match different individual coffees to make a dozen. Good if you want to try some new coffees without committing to buy 12 or 18 of one flavor.

I am sitting here ignoring the voice I hear calling me to the kitchen. It is the floor. It wants to feel the broom and hot mop. Sitting here at the computer is more fun. :angel:

Whoa! I've spent most of today gauging how to bake the quantity of French bread necessary for my friend's fundraiser. Been a challenge but I think I've gotten a handle on it.

The rest of today has been occupied with assorted chores and odd tasks.

One of my projects today was to create a gift for one of our granddaughters who will be 10 in December.

A number of months ago I came across the cutest little flower arrangement pot(?)/container. Looks like a cupcake.

Well, I immediately thought of our sweet little girl. So I got busy with my hot glue gun and some flower "parts" and created some nail polish "flowers."

So...

She'll have her birthday soon and she's into "girlie" stuff. I thought we'd give her a nail polish "bouquet." What do you think?

Attachments

• 100_0574.jpg
    100_0574.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_0576.jpg
    100_0576.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_0577.jpg
    100_0577.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 168
That is adorable! She will love it!

I made something similar for Shrek, only it had tape measures instead of nail polish.

Five guys just opened up recently in town, we went to check it out for supper tonight. All was good until I got home & looked up the nutritional info. almost 700 calories in a small burger & 1/4 order of small fries! argh! I was doing so good all week!!!

Five guys just opened up recently in town, we went to check it out for supper tonight. All was good until I got home & looked up the nutritional info. almost 700 calories in a small burger & 1/4 order of small fries! argh! I was doing so good all week!!!

Don't beat yourself up, SB! You were good all week, nothing wrong with a treat, and 5 Guys is a sometimes meal! Back on the wagon tomorrow.

Don't beat yourself up, SB! You were good all week, nothing wrong with a treat, and 5 Guys is a sometimes meal! Back on the wagon tomorrow.
Thank you for the comforting words of advice, back to the pool tomorrow.....

5 Guys is for a good burger and fries...not a diet meal. Mmmm...I need me some 5 Guys, may lift my spirits. It's absolutely for Mental Wellness that 5 Guys is worth a visit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom