What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, the IRS mileage allowance for business travel is 56.5¢/mile. Since you are being reimbursed 50¢/mile you can claim the remainder on your taxes if you itemize.

Thanks for that info, Andy! I'll hand the receipt over to H&R Block.

Andy's last name is Block? :LOL:

I trimmed down some bushes this morning, Dogwoods or something that were getting way to big. And I cut and pulled out all of the red berry thorn bushes from one of my lilac bushes. I have quite the pile of thorny branches I'm wondering what to do with. I can either load them into my pickup and take them to the township burn pile or try to pick them up with my tractor and take them out back to my brush pile. Either way I know it will not be without incident.

I trimmed down some bushes this morning, Dogwoods or something that were getting way to big. And I cut and pulled out all of the red berry thorn bushes from one of my lilac bushes. I have quite the pile of thorny branches I'm wondering what to do with. I can either load them into my pickup and take them to the township burn pile or try to pick them up with my tractor and take them out back to my brush pile. Either way I know it will not be without incident.
Sounds like a real pain in the patooty.

Someone must've put a dollar's worth of quarters in me and wound me up this morning. I'm goin' like the Energizer bunny.

So far all the vacuuming and dusting are done; all the tile floors (both bathrooms, utility room, kitchen) have been mopped; two loaves of French bread are baking, with two more ready to go in when those come out; the third load of laundry is in its final spin, one load is in the dryer and the other is on the line outside; I'm about to shape a couple dozen potato rolls so they can finish their rise and get baked, then I'll prep our thick pork chops for stuffed pork chops as tonight's dinner. We don't have anything for dessert so, as long as the oven's on, I'll look for something to bake while the bread dough is rising.

I now have everything on hand to put in my daughter's Christmas box so I think I'll wrap those gifts up and pack the box to be mailed next week. Her birthday is November 28th so I may as well include her birthday present, too. Her husband's birthday is December 4th and I'll put his in, too. May as well ship one box. Their box is the only one we'll have to ship this year. Makes life a lot easier and less costly.

Well that didn't go as expected, I managed to scoop up all the branches (some of these thorny things were 1" thick) and get them out back without scratching myself this time. Which is good, because my face is just healing from when I was "surveying" the situation earlier this week. Sometimes things go just like you want and not like you expect them to.

Wear heavy thick gloves. You don't want a couple of thorns in that trigger finger. :angel:

Someone must've put a dollar's worth of quarters in me and wound me up this morning. I'm goin' like the Energizer bunny.

So far all the vacuuming and dusting are done; all the tile floors (both bathrooms, utility room, kitchen) have been mopped; two loaves of French bread are baking, with two more ready to go in when those come out; the third load of laundry is in its final spin, one load is in the dryer and the other is on the line outside; I'm about to shape a couple dozen potato rolls so they can finish their rise and get baked, then I'll prep our thick pork chops for stuffed pork chops as tonight's dinner. We don't have anything for dessert so, as long as the oven's on, I'll look for something to bake while the bread dough is rising.

I now have everything on hand to put in my daughter's Christmas box so I think I'll wrap those gifts up and pack the box to be mailed next week. Her birthday is November 28th so I may as well include her birthday present, too. Her husband's birthday is December 4th and I'll put his in, too. May as well ship one box. Their box is the only one we'll have to ship this year. Makes life a lot easier and less costly.

Katie, do you use the boxes that the Post Office provide? No matter the weight, it is just a flat fee for postage. I regularly mail a package to Georgia every few weeks and always use their boxes. I even purchase and print out the label right at home. The P.O. program has the recipients name on file and all I have to do is type in her first name and the rest just shows up and fills in automatic for me. All I have to do is check which size box I am mailing. I pay for the postage through PayPal. I love the system. :angel:

Taking it easy today. Woke up with a migraine and all the lovely side effects to go with it. May do some laundry later, we'll see how I feel

Katie, do you use the boxes that the Post Office provide? No matter the weight, it is just a flat fee for postage. I regularly mail a package to Georgia every few weeks and always use their boxes. I even purchase and print out the label right at home. The P.O. program has the recipients name on file and all I have to do is type in her first name and the rest just shows up and fills in automatic for me. All I have to do is check which size box I am mailing. I pay for the postage through PayPal. I love the system. :angel:

No, Addie, I rarely use the boxes provided by the post office. That's usually because, and in this case, the items are way too big to fit in even their largest box.

I do all my postal service mailing online in a manner similar to what you've described. I'm able to print out my addressed label, pay the fee and the mail carrier picks it up at our door. I hardly ever go to the post office, especially this time of the year when it can be a real madhouse.

Another reason I do it this way is due to the postal shutdowns, our local post office (about 5 houses down from us) closed well over a year ago and the nearest one (about 15 miles away) has very, very limited hours and days that it is open. The next full service post office in about 22 miles from us. Except for our little neighborhood facility, the other two are in a direction I hardly ever go.

I'm an efficient packer and try to send things that are not too bulky and don't weigh a lot. For example, we'll see some of the grandchildren in Georgia for the holidays and I've purchased some dumbbell weights for one of the grandsons. Good year to deliver something like that rather than mail it.

Got home from work and cleaned out my cottage cheese container Fibber McGee cupboard, replacing and recycling all the mishmash plastic containers with a really good deal I got from Dining Downloads. Half price Rubbermaid containers, all stackable, with snap together lids. I checked today, now they're all back up to full price.

DH highly doubted that I could get all the Rubbermaids into the cupboard. Ha!

Got home from work and cleaned out my cottage cheese container Fibber McGee cupboard, replacing and recycling all the mishmash plastic containers with a really good deal I got from Dining Downloads. Half price Rubbermaid containers, all stackable, with snap together lids. I checked today, now they're all back up to full price.

Feels good, right? I got all new plastics and forbade Shrek using them in the microwave, not a one of them is discolored, melted or warped.:)

I just did that recently. Oy...the mismatched orphans I found. :LOL: I love when everything finally matches up in nice stackable storables.

I'll have to check out Dining Downloads. :)

Feels good, right? I got all new plastics and forbade Shrek using them in the microwave, not a one of them is discolored, melted or warped.:)

Yes! DH keeps opening up the cupboard and marveling. Nothing tumbles out. He initially told me I'd made a really stupid purchase, and that he couldn't believe I bought them. How could I not? 42 pieces! They were half price!

He gets to bag and cook his own crow.

Last edited:
I just did that recently. Oy...the mismatched orphans I found. :LOL: I love when everything finally matches up in nice stackable storables.

I'll have to check out Dining Downloads. :)

Sadly, Cheryl, it was a one day deal, and the price went back to regular, but Dining Downloads (a direct link to Amazon) does have some amazing deals. You usually have just one day to get them. Great deals on Kindle and regular books too.

Well, I've spent more time than I wanted to on the phone and 'puter. Got a call yesterday eve from the realtor who's selling Mom's house, she heard a noise in the finished basement, went to look, and there was a spewing of water. She turned off a valve, and the spewing stopped. She gave me phone numbers for a trusted water cleanup guy and a plumber. I called them, things should be righted shortly.

I live several states away, and really appreciate the realtor's quick actions and recs. What a mess this could have been! And the 'puter wouldn't allow a contract scan with a signature. And of course, my printer ran out of ink.

Small towns are awesome. I am amazed that they accepted my nonsigned contract for the cleanup, and are so honest and helpful. My realtor is around my age, but I plan to adopt her.

Back
Top Bottom