"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #7591
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just finished assembling one Ikea chair. The rest should be quicker. Tomorrow I intend to pick up the other four. The seat covers are washable, but you have to unscrew the seat to get them off. I think I better pick up some Scotch Guard.
Good idea. The dirt creeps up on you before you even notice it. Then it becomes very difficult to get clean.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #7592
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that "play mice" as in mousey toys or as in the kitties played with the mouse?
mousy toys...I would lose it if it was a real mouse and I certainly wouldn't laugh

Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #7593
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here looking at a present for my 12 y.o. great granddaughter.

Spike goes through the trash at every store he goes into that sells Lottery tickets. Like he says, "he ain't proud." We have what they call 'Second Chance to Win." If your ticket is a loser, then you can submit it for a prize drawing. If he finds them on the street, he will pick it up. Even torn ones. Sometimes folks don't finish scratching the ticket and he finds that it is a winner. A few times he has scratched off $100. Not bad. So he has these piles and piles of tickets (somewhere in the thousands) and comes up here every night to enter them on my computer. Then they have the drawings. You would not believe some of the prizes he has won. Dinner in Mr. Kraft's box and watch the game with him and his guests. He can bring three friends. He gives that kind of prize to his son. Last night his son had a buffet dinner in the press box and tickets for four. He has won jackets, signed game balls, all sorts of signed memorabilia, tickets to Bruins, Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics games and can bring three friends. Now even though he has won one of the main prizes, if someone fails to claim their prize, he wins a second time in the next drawing.

This has happened several times. Tonight he brought over a sterling silver (995) beautiful heart necklace and bracelet. I went to turn over the heart and was so surprised to feel how heavy it is. He had it engraved with a beautiful Script "L". Spike told me that if that were selling in the jewelry store where he works, it would go for at least $200. The prizes are not cheap crappy stuff. When he wins jackets, and other clothing items, they are what the players wear. Top quality merchandise. I sent a package of Patriots merchandise with a signed game ball to my girlfriend in Georgia. Now ever time the Pats are playing, she puts on her Tom Brady shirt and Pats hat. Tonight Spike made $50 on unfinished scratched tickets. Those tickets cannot be entered for the Second Chance Drawing as they are winners. And so is Spike.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #7594
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a nice relaxing time in the garden this afternoon, then a nice tea and soon we are going to retire to the lounge and watch some UK Masterchef
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #7595
Executive Chef

I am sitting here wondering why timing is sometimes so bad. We were getting ready to go do our Christmas shopping this morning. I ran down to the basement to put a load of clothes in and there is water everywhere

Our water heater blew. So Christmas is on hold now. We have a new water heater down in the basement but it won't be hooked up until tomorrow.

Sometimes I just feel like throwing in the towel
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #7596
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek and I were out late last night, movie, a run to Target for tissues and a McDonalds run. We got home at the late hour of 10:30 PM
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #7597
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I am sitting here wondering why timing is sometimes so bad. We were getting ready to go do our Christmas shopping this morning. I ran down to the basement to put a load of clothes in and there is water everywhere

Our water heater blew. So Christmas is on hold now. We have a new water heater down in the basement but it won't be hooked up until tomorrow.

So sorry, it does always seem to happen at the worst times. I think there is no such thing as a good time for this.

Time for a song...
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #7598
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

Hang in there. At least you don't live in Newtown.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #7599
Chef Extraordinaire

I spoke to Spike a little while ago. He wrapped up Teddy in a warm towel and put him in his bed. He slept all night right up to eight this morning. He is usually up at six wanting to go out. But he is feeling a little better. Spike said he is definitely going to speak to the groomer next month and tell her no flea bath. As you can see by the pictures I posted yesterday, he is just too small to tolerate chemicals easily. He has had reactions before, but never this bad.

When he was here last night, he was up on my bed cuddling up right close to me. When it was time for him to leave, Spike put his coat and leash on, and he was shaking so hard, he wouldn't jump off the bed. I have never seen him do that. I had to pick him up and put him on the floor. My heart was breaking for him. I was so worried about him all night.

Well, now that I am feeling better about Teddy, I can concentrate on getting ready for my surgery tomorrow.

BTW, I have been trying to find a stupid calendar for 2013. You used to be able to get them from banks, stores, and everywhere else. Even Dunkin' Donuts gives them out free. Maybe there really is something to the Mayan calendar and the world is going to end on the 21st. So no one is printing calendars for next year.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #7600
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning I am heading out to an appt to see my shoulder surgeon, this will be the 3rd time I have since him since my operation in April.

I am still in a lot of pain and I dont think I should I should be this long after the op