What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love my utility scissors for the kitchen. One day I ran across another pair in a cute little wooden holder with what I thought were a set of steak knives. It was at the Family Dollar store and only $3 so I bought it. It turned out to have 4 different types of knives - boning, small and larger paring and one steak knife.

I have one pair of the utility scissors in a drawer on the left side of my kitchen and one in the wooden holder on the right side - so handy, whichever side of the kitchen you're working on.

I use them for everything from opening mix packets to trimming chicken.

My kitchen is so small that no matter where I'm standing, I can reach the drawer on the left and the holder on the right at the same time. LOL Last night I was cleaning out my utensil drawers and I found another pair of black utility scissors just like the ones that came with my new set of knives. I pushed it way in the back of the drawer so my husband can't find them. The dog needs a haircut for Christmas.

Wondering what the heck I'm going to do with this bit of news...I am allergic to shrimp and possibly crab, clams. etc. They served us a luncheon today for our great survey and I had 4 medium sized shrimp with cocktail sauce. About 30 minutes later, lips started tingling, ringing and itching in my ears, a little difficulty breathing. Nothing worse, luckily.

But, damn!!! Shrimp???

That's terrible PF. I think I would test that out again. Since you didn't prepare the shrimp it might have been something on the shrimp or in the sauce instead of the shrimp.Once, back in my 30's, I had some kind of medical test, like an upper or lower GI involving dye. My throat started to swell shut and my voice started to sound like Minnie Mouse. My one eye was also swelled shut. The tech paged a doctor. In the several minutes it took to get him there the swelling started to subside, slowly. They did not treat me for it since it was starting to go away and I had driven myself to the facility. I had to stay there for about an hour for observation and they told me from now on I have to be pre-medicated for anything involving dye. Throughout all my heart issues I always get premedicated before catheterizations. But I eat tons of seafood with no problem! I always wonder if that was an isolated incident but I'm afraid to take a chance and always get the pre-medication.

A friend took his mother to a seafood buffet. She ate 2 pieces of shrimp and fell off the chair onto the floor. Had to be rushed to the ER in an ambulance. Not good advertising for the restaurant.

Right now I am so sleepy. But every time I go to lie down, I am wide awake. May I should just sleep in the chair. Something I have never done. :angel:

That happens to me occasionally. I usually just give it up and make myself a cup of coffee and stay awake.

I bought a turkey on sale a couple weeks ago, .28/lb. Today I'm going to cook it. My first time cooking a whole turkey. Hopefully I'll be eating it.

I'm guessing that's the price, but even that's very, very low.

Pac, if you got it that cheap (or small) and it's your first whole turkey, I wouldn't expect a great bird to result. Cheap turkey in my experience, equals tough meat, full of tendons. I hope you try all the tricks (brining) to make it tender.

Keep us posted! With your cooking skills, I'm sure you'll find a way to pull this off!

Well, it's a Butterball, so it was indeed cheap but it's a name brand anyway.

Ever since they came out with them, we get the frozen pre-stuffed Butterball's. Direct from freezer to oven...no defrosting involved. We've never been disappointing.

Today, I'm making more candy!
Yesterday was fudge, coconut balls, pretzel candies with kisses/M&M's and Reindeer Fodder.
Today is Oreo truffles, Eggnog cookies and Melting snowman cookies. I'm going to do a cranberry fudge, either today as well or tomorrow.

Well, I was kidding about the size, because I thought it was 28lb and she made a typo with the decimal point.

I have had cheap turkeys and they tasted fine to me. Never found one that cheap, though. I'm wondering just how bad could it be?

Sonofagun, pre-stuffed turkeys. I've never seen one, but I've never looked for one either.
The only thing going inside my bird is a 24 oz can of Heineken :D

Wondering what the heck I'm going to do with this bit of news...I am allergic to shrimp and possibly crab, clams. etc. They served us a luncheon today for our great survey and I had 4 medium sized shrimp with cocktail sauce. About 30 minutes later, lips started tingling, ringing and itching in my ears, a little difficulty breathing. Nothing worse, luckily.

But, damn!!! Shrimp???

PF I too am allergic to seafood. It is the iodine in the little critters that cause the problems. I pretty much stay away from Deep Sea Scallops. They are always high in iodine. Clams are pretty safe for me. Crab? I will take a small bite and I can taste instantly if there is any iodine in there. I will immediately spit it out and I don't care if I am at a black tie dinner at The White House. Lobsters aren't too bad. Once in a blue moon one will be high in iodine. Oysters? They can sit there with the scallops. More dangerous for me than the scallops. I still have a strong reaction to the scallops and oysters. So I just quit messing with them. I find the deeper in the ocean you find the culprit living, the more likely they are to have iodine in them. Clams you find along the edge of the seashore.

The first reaction I ever had was from crab salad. My face and tongue swelled up along with my arms. A trip to the ER and a shot took care of the problem. For a long time they couldn't use any medical swab that ended in 'dine. Benadine, Iodine, etc. Over the years exposure to minute doses of iodine have decreased my reaction to it. But I am still not willing to test scallops or oysters. BTW, the bigger the critter, the more iodine is stored in it. So jumbo shrimp will have far more iodine than peewees.

Be careful and don't take it for granted that this is just a one time adverse event. Most likely it is not. And this comes from someone who developed this allergy more than 40 years ago. The allergy is still with me, just not as severe at it was in the beginning. Good Luck! :angel:

That's how it started with my father. Next thing you know it's any shell fish. He's wound up at the emergency room before with a swollen tongue/difficulty breathing from eating fries that were cooked in the same oil shrimp were fried in. After that he started being real careful any time he ate out.

I've got a friend who works in clay. He's got some pretty bizarre stuff at his house. Moreso because it's lifesize.

Thanks for that reminder, Pac...no french fries anyplace that has fried shrimp on the menu. I appreciate it!!!:)

I've got a friend who works in clay. He's got some pretty bizarre stuff at his house. Moreso because it's lifesize.

Wow. Intriguing, and more than a little creepy. Beautiful work though. This is life sized?

Sonofagun, pre-stuffed turkeys. I've never seen one, but I've never looked for one either.
The only thing going inside my bird is a 24 oz can of Heineken :D

Maybe they are OK because they are frozen, but I've always heard not to stuff your turkey until right before you put it in the oven, don't put warm stuffing into a cold turkey, etc.

On the other hand, I have a friend who said her mother stuffed her turkey the night before every Thanksgiving and no one ever got sick. I'm leary.

Wow. Intriguing, and more than a little creepy. Beautiful work though. This is life sized?

Life sized for whatever South American people his work is influenced by. They were a short people ;)
This piece had something to do with the struggle with Christianity. I don't remember what the snake for the leg was for... maybe he was a god or something. I do remember asking him how he got the snake skin so detailed and he told me he used a mesh potato bag to give it the scales.

Maybe they are OK because they are frozen, but I've always heard not to stuff your turkey until right before you put it in the oven, don't put warm stuffing into a cold turkey, etc.

On the other hand, I have a friend who said her mother stuffed her turkey the night before every Thanksgiving and no one ever got sick. I'm leery.

I used to stuff my birds the night before, but they went right back into the fridge as soon as I was done. They stayed there until time to go into the oven the next day. I made sure the stuffing was cold when it went into the birds. It isn't the dressing vs. the bird as the culprit. It is both. Raw eggs in the dressing and the raw bird with it own set of problems. Combined, you are asking for major problems unless the bird is thoroughly cooked. This when you definitely need a meat thermometer. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom