"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #7741
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Hey Andy, I just got home from ny son's house with three steamed lobsters that didn't get eaten. I will crack them tonight and place the meat in small amounts in the freezer. Lobster salad on a toasted hot dog bun, lobster salad in a scooped out tomato, and I am sure I will find other uses for it.
Sounds good to me Addie. Enjoy.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #7742
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got back from my son's house. I got a lovely soft warm shawl which I just love. It is so warm. There was a second shawl, but it was striped black and brown and not as pretty. So my DIL loved that one and is going to keep it for herself and get me another one in a different color from the one I love. I also received from my son's in-laws a lovely blue (my favorite color) fleece long robe with blue leopard print slippers. And my son and his wife ( whom I adore) gave me a lovely picture of my grandson with Santa. I don't know what he said to Santa, but he has him laughing. The frame is very heavy.

Come time to sit down to eat, and I got very sick. I was beginning to think I had the flu. It just hit me out of the blue. I was looking forward to the meal. I didn't even get to eat my lobster. So I brought it home along with two others. And a big plate of food. I am feeling much better now, but I sure would like to know what hit me. I am feeling very weak and beat up right now.

My son married a great girl. I just love her and her parents. I have 17 grand and great grand children. But this youngest one has to be my favorite. Yes, I do have a favorite. I admit it. He is so smart and bright. And well behaved. He is three y.o. and speaks three languages. He speaks English to my son, Italian to his mother and Albanian to his grandparents. My son has him enrolled for piano lessons. He can spell and do math. So learning to read music should come easy to him.

I had a great day, (except for getting sick.)

Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #7743
Certified Cake Maniac

My sister surprised me with a call this morning - she wasn't doing Christmas but wanted to wish me a good one and we talked for half an hour. She sounded really good and happy. I haven't talked to her in a couple of months. I don't want to lose contact with her but also want to give her space as she deals with things in her own way. She was happy to hear about my improved health and told me she was also diagnosed with prediabetes and is cutting back on sweets. She, and my nephews are my only family.

We had a lovely lunch with TB's parents and then he left for work just after 2. They stayed another hour and we had a wonderful chat. I said to them as they left that I was really glad they came because they are my parents. Then his Mom gave me an extra hug and said "and you are our daughter". I had to get inside quick as the tears flowed down. They always blamed me for us eloping and it wasn't until a couple of years ago TB finally straightened them out that it was all his idea and I wanted to call them. Ever since then we have grown much closer and to be called a daughter without the "in-law" was huge!

I am just sitting here now with my puppies relaxing and waiting for TB's call on his lunch break. I was really worried I would be totally depressed this Christmas, but it has actually been one of the best ever!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #7744
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, that's huge, Laurie. What a great Christmas. I can't imagine what you felt to finally hear those words.

I'm waiting for my bread to cool. It's nice to fall back on an old friend (my bread machine) since the store was closed today. I haven't used that thing in probably 1-1/2 years. Looks like the yeast still works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bread.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	16681  
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #7745
Certified Pretend Chef

That looks mighty tasty.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #7746
Chef Extraordinaire

It looks wonderful Pac
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #7747
Certified Cake Maniac

Looks awesome Pac!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #7748
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Glad the machine and yeast are still in good shape, Pac!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #7749
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks
Now where is that thread on how long yeast lasts?
I'll bet this yeast was at least 2 years old. I had it stored in the freezer in an airtight canister.

I am now drinking a cup of coffee that I made using an Eko-Brew refillable K-cup. It's passable. The cup said to fill it between 2/3 and 3/4 full. 3/4 tastes better. 2/3 was too weak. That first cup found the sink.
Now if I was really feeling ambitious I would see how many cups of coffee I can get out of a 1lb canister compared to buying actual K-cup coffee. That's a pretty big if...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #7750
Executive Chef

even double-acting yeast wouldn't produce the kind of results you have pictured in your mile- high bread loaf! a beauty, btw.:) how does it taste? it wasn't hollow inside, was it, pac....:)