What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LP, first you say you didn't get much done, then you rattle off a list of things much more ambitious than I accomplish! :LOL: I felt a little better knowing you have help.

I'm going to take out my anger and do a vigorous job of cleaning and decorating our family room. The cat sitter I lined up the end of October, who told me to just let him know shortly before we were leaving, has bailed on me. :mad: "It's break time and I might be busy and I don't want to have to worry about making sure.."...blahblahblah. Here we are a week or less before wanting to head out and I can't find anyone because (surprise!) everyone has plans. Refuse to drive two days with a cat in tow. Been busy working my way up and down the street looking for someone I know and trust enough to give my housekey to. And taking kitty for boarding is not feasible. I wanna spend Christmas with our kids!!!!!

Are these legitimate sitters? Work must be good for them to turn you down.
Unless you've got the cat from hell, lol.

LP, first you say you didn't get much done, then you rattle off a list of things much more ambitious than I accomplish! :LOL: I felt a little better knowing you have help.

I'm going to take out my anger and do a vigorous job of cleaning and decorating our family room. The cat sitter I lined up the end of October, who told me to just let him know shortly before we were leaving, has bailed on me. :mad: "It's break time and I might be busy and I don't want to have to worry about making sure.."...blahblahblah. Here we are a week or less before wanting to head out and I can't find anyone because (surprise!) everyone has plans. Refuse to drive two days with a cat in tow. Been busy working my way up and down the street looking for someone I know and trust enough to give my housekey to. And taking kitty for boarding is not feasible. I wanna spend Christmas with our kids!!!!!

How long are you going to be gone CG??

That stinks CG. I wouldn't want to drive two days with a cat in the car. I'm sure your cat wouldn't like it either. Good luck finding a solution.

Would a car cat carrier work, CG? They have all sorts, hard and soft siders.

Noooo! Cats are horrible travelers! Everytime I take Misty and Kali to the vet, they sound like a very bad bagpipe practice.

Perhaps you could call your vet and see if they would recommend someone?

With love,
~Cat

The stool sample! That's so funny!

Cat and I have been very busy today. She and I were shopping for some more outdoor Christmas decorations when she spied an eight-foot inflatable Grinch with his dog as in the Seuss story. There's no need to explain this. It's in the front yard and the HOA is having a fit. When she was confronted about this by an HOA representative, she said, "It's a beloved children's Christmas story by Dr. Seuss. Do you have something against children? Didn't you ever watch the Grinch on TV? Or is your heart so very small as the Grinch's was when he stole Christmas? I just made some cookies. Do you want some?"

He admitted he had seen this on TV, told her she could keep her Grinch although the rest of the HOA was howling, and left with a bag of cookies...for his grandchildren. She certainly has her own ways.

DA and PapaCat have been off to bed for a while. Cat and I are here in her lair posting and watching Despicable Me 2. This is a very cute movie.

I find it so very interesting Cat is much like me. When we watch movies, we're also doing something else; knitting, reading, computer things, etc.

I hope all of you are having a very pleasant night.

MammaCat

I hope you find someone!

I unthinkingly accepted a house, dog and cat sitting job for Dec 26 through Jan 5, back in the fall. I love these people and their animals and will not let them down. But what was I thinking?? This will be the 4th time I have house sit for them and I know I can come into town during the day. I know things will work out and I don't expect to be moving during that time frame, but this is cutting it close!

Last edited:
Cat has her own means to get what she wants. I too have to do something with my hands when I am watching TV. :angel:

Oh yes, Addie, she certainly does! Cat and I see your post. Cat wants to know what you do, and so do I.

We also work on crossword puzzles to help Cat with English, and there is also the big jigsaw puzzle we are working on.

We also play board games when the others are here. We like Monopoly, Sorry, checkers, chess, backgammon and card games also.

Cat's "soul sister," her best friend, Lakisha is absolutely the chess champion. PapaCat is very good -- I do mean GOOD -- at chess. He has never won a match against Lakisha.

We also play the old version of Trivial Pursuit Aunty Stela has. Carl is very good at history and when he's here, we try to fit in a game.

Cat taught Lakisha how to crochet, so Lakisha is finishing a scarf for her Mamma earlier when she called.

Cat has also been working on the guitar. Tonight she played and sang for us these:

"Nights In White Satin" - Moody Blues
"Light One Candle" - Peter, Paul and Mary
"City of New Orleans" - Arlo Guthrie (Not sure he wrote this)
"As Tears Go By" - Marianne Faithfull
"Somebody To Love" - Jefferson Airplane
"Cat's In The Cradle" - Harry Chapin

These are songs I love.

As each day passes, I see very much sensitivity and also maturity in her. I've told her this, and I think she's aware of all the changes we all see in her.

She's quite the growing one, by leaps and bounds.

MammaCat

Last edited:
Are these legitimate sitters? Work must be good for them to turn you down.
Unless you've got the cat from hell, lol.
Just teen-ish kids on the street. She's a sweet and loving cat. Unless you don't like getting your hand licked by sandpaper!

How long are you going to be gone CG??
Somewhere between either just under to just over two weeks. You interested? We have a king-size bed, big TV, and a freezer (and liquor cabinet) full of fun. Oh, and SNOW! Sitter rates are negotiable. ;)

That stinks CG. I wouldn't want to drive two days with a cat in the car. I'm sure your cat wouldn't like it either. Good luck finding a solution.
Thanks taxy. We drove straight through with our other cat when we were moving from OH to here and it wasn't much fun. Considering she was the "good" cat and this one is too dumb to get out of her own way I don't want to take the chance.

Would a car cat carrier work, CG? They have all sorts, hard and soft siders.
We have a carrier but the cat does NOT like to travel. It would be 11 hours of howling...and unpleasant smells...:ermm:

....Perhaps you could call your vet and see if they would recommend someone?
That's a very good idea Cat! I did think that if one of my many pleas to neighbors at the other end of our street doesn't work I could call the local cat shelter to see if they have someone who would foster care our cat while we're gone.

I hope you find someone!

I unthinkingly accepted a house, dog and cat sitting job for Dec 26 through Jan 5, back in the fall. I love these people and their animals and will not let them down. But what was I thinking?? ...
Thanks beth, I'm doing all I can think of. I hope the timing works out OK for you with your upcoming move.

J is marvelous! She makes me sit in my chair, gets me a cup of tea and gets to work. Yesterday I did sit on the couch and fold laundry, but she did everything else. She stayed and had dinner with us and even served me! Her daughter often comes her after school but basically looks after herself by watching TV, doing homework and playing with the pets. So J comes and helps me out and I do believe I get the better deal because on top of the cleaning, her daughter is a delight!

As for your cat woes, we have a lot of pet boarding business around here. I am sure there are some in your area. You can ask for references and call them to see how good they are. Prices range and so do services. Hope it works out.

CG, do you have any friends who have college students in their families? My eldest moves in to places to look after pets and doesn't even charge much. $50/week plus you have to feed her.

I just got back from the vet. Kimber received her rabies vacc, but they were out of the parvo... a phone call would have been nice, since they are supposed to have it in tomorrow. I would have changed my appointment.
When it comes in they are going to call me so I can pick up the syringe and give it to her myself. Not that I am in the city that much, but at least I won't have to take the dog back in.

....As for your cat woes, we have a lot of pet boarding business around here. I am sure there are some in your area. You can ask for references and call them to see how good they are. Prices range and so do services. Hope it works out.
With Himself getting laid off two years ago we're really watching our expenses. I know there are a couple "pet resorts" around here but they charge crazy prices.

CG, do you have any friends who have college students in their families? My eldest moves in to places to look after pets and doesn't even charge much. $50/week plus you have to feed her.
Is your eldest available this Christmas? :LOL: Actually, I'm a bit reluctant to let someone I don't really know have access to our house. And "friends"? Himself HATES to socialize so my circle is getting increasingly smaller. :( I've been having a hard time even trying to remember who on our street has school-age friends. With no kids of our own here I guess I don't hang in the right crowd. I did finally remember I might have luck with few neighbors at the other end of our street. It looks like one neighbor up there, who I know quite well, thinks her 14 Y.O. daughter will be available and willing. Fingers crossed, I'll have an answer later this afternoon.

I been wasting time wonderfully here at DC, but my real world stuff isn't getting done! Hopped on the computer just to reply to an email (not so easy typing on the cellphone) and suddenly a tab opens up for DC! It's like an internet miracle! Gotta go get things ready for our trip...if we actually do go. Again, fingers crossed!

I would love it if you would post some of your recipes. My MIL is of German descent and made rouladen and sauerbraten regularly. I don't know why I've never made them.

Do you have recipes for using up leftovers? If I recall correctly, these are fairly large roasts and there's only two of us.

done as you wish: German Rinder Rouladen

for Sauerbraten there are a few recipes here and I don't like it myself, so I have no TNT-recipes for that..

Cat left a while ago to run a quick errand. Just when I began to worry and think about phoning her, I looked out the front window.

I saw Cat parking Joy, and up on the hill was an identical eight-foot inflatable Grinch right in front of the community clubhouse for all to see!

Now we're laughing and waiting for the resulting furor.

MammaCat

Love Cat's sense of humor MammaCat!

I'm doing a little happy dance right now.
happy093.gif
A neighbor up the street that we've been casual friends with all the time they've lived here said her almost-14-year-old daughter will definitely watch kitty! Christmas is saved! Now all I have to worry about is the weather. I-80 between Clearfield and Clarion can get dicey at times. :ermm: Good thing Sally has new "shoes" on her drive wheels.

Oh yes, Addie, she certainly does! Cat and I see your post. Cat wants to know what you do, and so do I.

We also work on crossword puzzles to help Cat with English, and there is also the big jigsaw puzzle we are working on.

We also play board games when the others are here. We like Monopoly, Sorry, checkers, chess, backgammon and card games also.

Cat's "soul sister," her best friend, Lakisha is absolutely the chess champion. PapaCat is very good -- I do mean GOOD -- at chess. He has never won a match against Lakisha.

We also play the old version of Trivial Pursuit Aunty Stela has. Carl is very good at history and when he's here, we try to fit in a game.

Cat taught Lakisha how to crochet, so Lakisha is finishing a scarf for her Mamma earlier when she called.

Cat has also been working on the guitar. Tonight she played and sang for us these:

"Nights In White Satin" - Moody Blues
"Light One Candle" - Peter, Paul and Mary
"City of New Orleans" - Arlo Guthrie (Not sure he wrote this)
"As Tears Go By" - Marianne Faithfull
"Somebody To Love" - Jefferson Airplane
"Cat's In The Cradle" - Harry Chapin

These are songs I love.

As each day passes, I see very much sensitivity and also maturity in her. I've told her this, and I think she's aware of all the changes we all see in her.

She's quite the growing one, by leaps and bounds.

MammaCat

I am presently working on an embroidered scarf for my daughter's dresser. I wasn't able to work on it for quite a long time. I had to have cataracts removed and then the adjustment period after the surgery. I had started it, then one day in Winthrop, someone spilled their coffee on my work and washed out all the print of the pattern. So I had to order a new one and start over again. My daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas. So I sent her the picture of what I wanted. It is a floor stand that will hold the hoop so I can work with both hands. one on top of the work and one on the bottom to pull the needle through.

In the past I have made her a couple of crocheted throws for her couch, place mats for different holidays, a hand designed by me, of a Chef with her name on the side and the words Mia Cucina on the bottom. I sewed them in the colors of the Italian flag. I then framed it and she still has it hanging on her kitchen wall. Over the years I have made so many things for her. It came out so nice that I made several for some girlfriends in other cities. Then one year I made one for my DIL with her Albanian Flag and the words "my kitchen" in Albanian. I also made the medical staff in gold thread with my son's name and the year he became a licensed Physician Assistant. That is framed and hanging in his office. Many years ago, I made a Colonial style large clock and put it in a frame. My son Poo has it now. I also embroidered the words to the song, "Bless This House." Poo has that also.

At Christmas I make reindeer candy canes and donate them to the Community Center to pass out at their Christmas Party. Knitting, crocheting, crafts of all kinds, I keep my hands and mind busy.

I learned to knit and crochet when I was about 10 y.o. So often I will hear the folks here "My grandmother tried to teach me, but I wasn't interested. Can you teach me?" No I can't. You should have paid attention. In nice weather I will sit down of the patio, plug in the radio and sit there for hours on end, sewing my little heart out. The used to snatch the work right out of my hands. They ALL have finally learned to leave me alone when I am working on a project. My family has a running joke about Mom and her projects. I always take my little bag I made with me to the doctors or where ever I am going to be waiting.

The one thing I made that I am really proud of is a picture of a Victorian house and in the front yard was a blank sign to fill in anything you wanted. My sister had just died, so I named the house "Lorrie's B&B" It is in a beautiful matting and framed and now hangs in my daughter's bedroom.

I like to keep my mind and hands challenged. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom