What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cookies are done and delicious. Gotta love that Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies recipe from Quaker Oats. It's the best.

In the middle of making a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies (with walnuts).

Chocolate chip cookies (with walnuts) next. Either this afternoon or tomorrow.

That reminds me, I need to look for coconut cake mix.

I am obeying orders (doesn't happen often ;))

We ended up in the ER yesterday thinking my kidney stones or infection were back. Thankfully it isn't kidney related at all. However, they are thinking gallstones and I have to wait until Monday for an ultrasound, then to get in to see a surgeon so it probably won't happen until the new year.

I am okay, but still in pain and TB has been home to look after me because it is a snow day and he is off work.

Last edited:
I am obeying orders (doesn't happen often ;))

We ended up in the ER yesterday thinking my kidney stones or infection were back. Thankfully it isn't kidney related at all. However, they are thinking gallstones and I have to wait until Monday for an ultrasound, then to get in to see a surgeon so it probably won't happen until the new year.

I am okay, but still in pain and TB has been home to look after me because it is a snow day and he is off work.

I'm sorry to hear that, Laurie. I hope the pain gets better soon. I've had my gall bladder removed because of gallstones. Hurts a lot, but in my case, the pain subsided till I had the surgery. Take care.

I think he's thinking about making the cake mix cookies Katie posted recently.

That's right. Just seeing the word cookie reminded me that I have everything except the mix. I can't even remember what I bought coconut for, but I have it!

Katie, I've made these with dried cranberries (Craisins) and they are delicious.

Chopped dates and walnuts are also nice, a little grated orange peel doesn't hurt.

Fruitcake mix, candied fruit and peel, is also nice for the holidays or for cleaning out the pantry after the holidays.

That classic recipe has endless variations.

Uck.

My back is so very sore I haven't dressed today. I'm just wearing my Hello Kitty sleep pants and a t-shirt (but with bra and underwear) and my skunk socks. Moving in any way is very painful, and the bruising is really very bad! I am updated for my tetanus shot, as I was required to have one before coming to America.

Carl has been hovering over me like a drone zeroing in upon a target. I know he means very well, and he feels badly, but finally I told him not to do this. That drives me straight up into a tree.

Some of you spoke of naps. I have had to take two of these today. I don't like these medicines, but they do help me become more comfortable. I Googled these medicines and both of these can be extremely addicting! I'm worried, so I'm not taking these so much as the directions indicate.

Carl was much calmer today, so I sent him and Mamma to the grocery store with a nice list. Mamma made my chicken soup tonight and I'll tell what else on the dinner topic.

It was very quiet today. Carl and Papa went to ride bikes with Azia, for the weather was very nice! They went out twice. Papa and Carl were so nice to do this for Azia, for she loves to run freely whenever she can.

I thank you all for your encouragement for me, and I'm very glad no one was offended at the humor I found in this. I'm worried about these addictive medicines and if any of you can help me with this, please tell me.

I also thank you all for understanding that this was an accident and for supporting Carl of this. He was feeling very badly until today when I rolled up a magazine and swatted him on his shoulder and said to get over it. Men are very odd.

Lakisha is coming over tomorrow. She was very busy with her Mamma today. We're looking forward to this! Lakisha is so sweet!

Carl and I have banished Mamma and Papa to the upstairs so we are able to wrap their gifts, and I've taken a break from this to post. Carl says hello to everyone, and we both hope all of you are enjoying a nice evening as we are.

With love,
~Cat

I think he's thinking about making the cake mix cookies Katie posted recently.

Katie said the Coconut Cake Mix is made by Hines.

Anytime I need a cake mix, I always buy Hines. And one more reason to go to them is that they have not taken away any of their product. If the recipe says it makes 24 cupcakes, you get 24 cupcakes. I have also found their mixes to be more moist than others. They also make so many different kinds of mixes. They have a very busy research kitchen! :angel:

Some of you spoke of naps. I have had to take two of these today. I don't like these medicines, but they do help me become more comfortable. I Googled these medicines and both of these can be extremely addicting! I'm worried, so I'm not taking these so much as the directions indicate.

With love,
~Cat
<nursey hat on>

Pain talk!!!~Cat Dear! The doctor gave you pain medicine to help you heal. You will have stiff scars and take longer to heal if you do not take the pain medicine and you hurt, because you will not want to move. Not moving can also cause you to develop pneumonia, take the pain medicine. Go for walks and enjoy the fresh air.

I know they make you feel drowsy and woozy, but as long as you are not taking them for drowsy and woozy feelings but for pain...and stop taking them when you stop having pain, you will not become addicted.

On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain ever!!!! Where is your pain on that scale? If it is 4 or over...TAKE the PAIN Medicine!!! Over 4 and you start moving differently, not freely like you should be.

Don't make me come beat you like I do my step-kids...

<nursey hat off>

Love you more,
Fiona

I'm sitting with Cat and Carl reading posts here. Speaking of cakes, Addie, Cat's favorite cake is an angel food cake. I'll be making this for her birthday on January 3.

When my mother was in the USA, she bought an old 1961 Joy of Cooking cookbook. Cat and I share this now, and therein lies a wonderful angel food cake recipe, which I have always used.

Funny as I see these posts, Cat and I took a moment to thumb through this old cookbook, and we realized cooking has changed quite a bit since 1961.

This has given us a lot to talk about. Cat said this: "No wonder good food and good cooking is a universal language, for it speaks to the heart...and the tummy."

It's late here. Everyone is abed but for Carl, Cat, and I. It certainly has been one of those days.

MammaCat

I'm sitting with Cat and Carl reading posts here. Speaking of cakes, Addie, Cat's favorite cake is an angel food cake. I'll be making this for her birthday on January 3.

When my mother was in the USA, she bought an old 1961 Joy of Cooking cookbook. Cat and I share this now, and therein lies a wonderful angel food cake recipe, which I have always used.

Funny as I see these posts, Cat and I took a moment to thumb through this old cookbook, and we realized cooking has changed quite a bit since 1961.

This has given us a lot to talk about. Cat said this: "No wonder good food and good cooking is a universal language, for it speaks to the heart...and the tummy."

It's late here. Everyone is abed but for Carl, Cat, and I. It certainly has been one of those days.

MammaCat

The Joy of Cooking (JOC) is THE Bible of American cooking. When anyone asks what cookbook should I buy, we all recommend JOC. They constantly update and a new version comes out every 1.5 years. It is a valuable teaching tool for the new cook.

My first husband was a professional chef. He had the original JOC. Right now Spike has it in storage. It has become very valuable.

I sent Cat a private PM regarding her fear of becoming addicted to her pain pills. And PF addressed her fear also. She is going to be fine. Just make sure she takes little walks each day. Before you know it she will be wanting to go bike riding again. :angel:

Yum, Andy. I just looked the recipe up and think I'll make some tomorrow, but I'll used dried cranberries or cherries instead of raisins.

My daughter loves oatmeal cookies. And when I make them, I don't even have them printed out. I just keep the box of Quaker Oats in front of me on the counter and read the recipe off of it.

There is a reason that recipe has been America's favorite for all these years. It is just dang good!

I put raisins in them for her and then make a simple glaze of 10X sugar and milk and drizzle it over the cookies. :angel:

<nursey hat on>

Pain talk!!!~Cat Dear! The doctor gave you pain medicine to help you heal. You will have stiff scars and take longer to heal if you do not take the pain medicine and you hurt, because you will not want to move. Not moving can also cause you to develop pneumonia, take the pain medicine. Go for walks and enjoy the fresh air.

I know they make you feel drowsy and woozy, but as long as you are not taking them for drowsy and woozy feelings but for pain...and stop taking them when you stop having pain, you will not become addicted.

On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain ever!!!! Where is your pain on that scale? If it is 4 or over...TAKE the PAIN Medicine!!! Over 4 and you start moving differently, not freely like you should be.

Don't make me come beat you like I do my step-kids...

<nursey hat off>

Love you more,
Fiona

Yeah Cat. I have had a beating or two from her. Not very good fun! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom