What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a beautiful day so DH and I are on our way to the last downtown farmers market of the season. I'm going to stock up on veggies.

Oh how I envy you. Our closest farmers market is across the harbor in another section of Boston. We had one, one year, but it never came back the next. :angel:

Oh how I envy you. Our closest farmers market is across the harbor in another section of Boston. We had one, one year, but it never came back the next. :angel:

I also bought a freshly baked baguette and a candied ginger-lemon-pecan scone from a local bakery and fresh mozzarella made this morning by a local restaurant. I love our market :)

I also bought a freshly baked baguette and a candied ginger-lemon-pecan scone from a local bakery and fresh mozzarella made this morning by a local restaurant. I love our market :)

It's on the sidewalk outside the courtyard of the art & cultural center, which is in the original courthouse building from the 1750s. So cool :cool:

ForumRunner_20131221_114144.jpg

Right now my butt is very sore. And all from kicking myself. Why oh why did I tell my daughter I would make desserts for Christmas dinner?

A couple of days ago I was checking to make sure I had everything I would need for the chocolate chip cheesecake. I knew I had the cream cheese. But for the life of me I couldn't find it. So I had Spike pick me up some more. He brought me only two. I needed three. So I hunt for a recipe that can be adjusted. I have a smaller spring form pan that an adjusted recipe will fit in. I found one, and it called for five eighths of a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk. Huh? Math is not my best subject. In fact it is not my subject in any manner. Still haven't figured it out. The original recipe called for an Oreo crust for the bottom only. The smaller recipe called to have the crust go up the sides. So I mixed the crust for the smaller one.

Then today I find the missing cream cheese. I had put it in the drawer so The Pirate wouldn't touch it. Good! Now I can make the big one and use the whole can of milk. No measuring out five eighths. I have the crust mixed, but not enough to go up the sides, but too much for the bottom. The bottom is going to get a much thicker crust than the recipe calls for. I am tired of all these problems making something for someone who doesn't even care. It is for my grandson. I got a bit ticked off last year when he demanded it for Christmas. A simple "Please" would have been nice. :angel:

It's on the sidewalk outside the courtyard of the art & cultural center, which is in the original courthouse building from the 1750s. So cool :cool:

View attachment 20194

:(:( :cry::cry: Life is not fair!

Most of old Boston is built of red brick. The old courthouse in Cambridge is the ugliest red brick you can imagine. A beautiful building inside, but the outside has got to go! :angel:

Last edited:
:(:( :cry::cry: Life is not fair!

Most of old Boston is built of red brick. The old courthouse in Cambridge is the ugliest red brick you can imagine. A beautiful building inside, but the outside has got to go! :angel:

I kinda like the old red brick, although our downtown has been "revitalized," so there are various types of buildings now. But here's a better pic of the courthouse. The Artisans booth there is Artisans Bakery & Cafe where I bought the baguette and scone.

78963329.jpg

I made the mistake of opening up one of those decorative canisters someone brought me.
So right now I am eating three different kinds of popcorn :yum:

Shrek loves those things. He buys three or four of them every Christmas. I have so many of those tins and he gets the big ones.

That's a very nice building! How old is it?

With love,
~Cat

It was built in 1846. Here's some info on the history from Wikipedia:

Portsmouth is located on the western side of the Elizabeth River directly across from the City of Norfolk. In 1620, the future site of Portsmouth was recognized as suitable shipbuilding location by John Wood, a shipbuilder, who petitioned King James I of England for a land grant. The surrounding area was soon settled as a plantation community.[4]

Portsmouth was founded by Colonel William Crawford, a wealthy merchant and ship owner, who dedicated the four corners of High and Court streets for a church, a market, a courthouse, and a jail. It was established as a town in 1752 by an act of the Virginia General Assembly and was named for Portsmouth, England.

The city employs a man named Eric Price to portray Col. Crawford at public events, including the farmer's market. He's sort of a town mascot :) Someone interviewed him last summer and he talked about the market and the town:

Colonel Crawford - YouTube

Portsmouth, VA, also hosts the longest running annual Memorial Day Parade: http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/portsmouth-hosts-nations-oldest-annually-held-memorial-day-parade

We're very historically and patriotically minded here :)

Last edited:
We have a so-called farmer's market, almost no farmers. The fruit and vegis are not top quality and aren't necessarily local. On top of that, the prices aren't very good.

We have a so-called farmer's market, almost no farmers. The fruit and vegis are not top quality and aren't necessarily local. On top of that, the prices aren't very good.

:( I'm sorry to hear that. There's only one farmer at our market, but they have three tents worth of space for their wares. They're 60 miles away in Elizabeth City, NC, but 100 miles is considered local by the organization Buy Fresh/Buy Local. We also have a beef and poultry vendor, a fish vendor, breads, crafts, etc. An Italian restaurant brings fresh mozzarella and pasta sauces and today they had crab soup. :yum:

This is a list of the vendors we had this week: This week

And these are the veggies I bought today, for $16. See how huge the carrots are!?! :D I put a pen in there for scale. I'm planning at least one stew for next week.

Attachments

• 2013-12-21 13.06.53.jpg
    2013-12-21 13.06.53.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 175
:( I'm sorry to hear that. There's only one farmer at our market, but they have three tents worth of space for their wares. They're 60 miles away in Elizabeth City, NC, but 100 miles is considered local by the organization Buy Fresh/Buy Local. We also have a beef and poultry vendor, a fish vendor, breads, crafts, etc. An Italian restaurant brings fresh mozzarella and pasta sauces and today they had crab soup. :yum:

And these are the veggies I bought today, for $16. See how huge the carrots are!?! :D I put a pen in there for scale. I'm planning at least one stew for next week.
Nice :punk:

When I say not local, I'm talking about stuff from California, garlic from China,...

I just got back from the grocery store and realized I forgot to look for the cake mix. doo-doo.
I did pick up a nice prime delmonico for dinner tonight. So no cookies for me, but I'll have a nice dinner. This baby is going on the SJ. I had to get more charcoal while I was out, too.

I had to babysit the washing machine. It was having balance issues with the spin cycle. It eventually got it worked out. Laundry is now in the dryer.

Sounds like you consider $16.00 a great price. It seems like you're paying a hefty premium to buy local. Did you drive 120 miles round trip to buy these veggies?

Sounds like you consider $16.00 a great price. It seems like you're paying a hefty premium to buy local. Did you drive 120 miles round trip to buy these veggies?

No. As I said, the farmer sets up three tents at the market downtown, about two miles from my house. After the market closes at 1pm, he sells more veggies to local restaurants.

I do consider it worthwhile. The groceries are just part of the whole experience. I saw and talked to some friends - two of whom are the farmer and his wife - and I'm supporting small local businesses like the bakery and the restaurant. I like that :)

Just got back from the store were we bought some sidewalk salt. We still have lots of ice on the driveway and sidewalks and we are expecting up to 8 inches of snow tonight.

I finally got done wrapping all of the Christmas presents. Gosh, that is a great feeling.

I am sure we will be snowed in tomorrow so I think it will be a great day to bake cookies and make fudge.

We're on the bus on our way to meet friends
eat Chinese food at a hole in the wall restaurant called Lotus Blue. They make wonderful food.

I'm posting from the website from my phone. I can't figure out how to post in the updated DC app.

Back
Top Bottom