"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #8001
Chef Extraordinaire

Dawg, would a daycare for seniors work for her? She would be able to stay in her own home yet get the daily care that she seems to need. Also the people at the daycare can monitor her closely. A nursing home should be a last resort.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #8002
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks Addie. She lives in a tiny town, with few or no health care home providers. She is a member of the local Senior Center. Her mobility is limited, and it's cold and icey, so she rarely gets out. Her cleaning lady is a doll, and checks on her all the time. We think the place by BB will work, and she's really excited about getting there. Hoping it works out!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #8003
Head Chef

Mrs. LMB, sorry to hear of your step-mother's illness. Hope she's better already.

And thanks, all, for your concern about my 13 y.o. pup. Yes, Addie, the Vet did remove the growth and sent it off somewhere for examination. He also said she may have Cushing's disease/syndrome. I Googled it yesterday and read some facts about it, but I wonder if anyone of you dog-folk would have an opinion on its seriousness and course of treatment, etc. A couple of the sites said that with or without treatment, the estimated length of life is about 2 more years. Since she is 13 (x 7 = 91 in people life), I'm wondering if I should just keep her fed and comfortable and let nature take its course. She's a real wizard in finding and spitting out pills camouflaged in food, and I'm picturing unhappy years of trying to get a pill down her.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #8004
Certified Cake Maniac

Dawg, I totally understand where you are in this situation as we went through it with Dad, finally bringing him into our house for those last three years. My heart goes out to you and your siblings. The situation with your BB sounds like it would be good for all. How long is "short term"?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #8005
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tinlizzie, I had looked up Cushing's Disease for a friend's pugs a few years ago and got similar results. Your poor sweetie probably would be much happier not getting pills jammed down her throat.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #8006
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks Addie. She lives in a tiny town, with few or no health care home providers. She is a member of the local Senior Center. Her mobility is limited, and it's cold and icey, so she rarely gets out. Her cleaning lady is a doll, and checks on her all the time. We think the place by BB will work, and she's really excited about getting there. Hoping it works out!
I feel that your sister the nurse needs to read up on the latest in care for the elderly. Even Medicare encourages that they stay in their own home as long as possible. What will her transportation be to get her there? You might ask if they have daycare facilities after she is released from overnight care. PF should be able to tell you what and how much Medicare will pay for. Since I am at that age myself, I have a soft spot for elderly care. If she is excited, then it sounds like she is open to and willing to be makiing new friends. If she knits or crochets, then see if you can have her bring a small project with her to help the days go by faster and keep her mind alert. Needlework is something that she can do and still carry on a conversation with others. And one for Mom.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #8007
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Dawg, I totally understand where you are in this situation as we went through it with Dad, finally bringing him into our house for those last three years. My heart goes out to you and your siblings. The situation with your BB sounds like it would be good for all. How long is "short term"?
Thanks, LP. Apparently short term is as long as you want, from 2 weeks to several months, then there's more progressive care if needed. I just found it great that Mom was so excited to do this, and her hallucinations stopped when we talked about it. We have multiple levels of stairs here, as does BB in his house, so probably not a good idea to have her at the houses.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #8008
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I had looked up Cushing's Disease for a friend's pugs a few years ago and got similar results. Your poor sweetie probably would be much happier not getting pills jammed down her throat.
Sorry to cut in here Dawg, I've been reading about your mom. I'm sorry she is having this problem. I would bet you have the right idea and poo on your sister the NURSE excuse me but she is a pita. Oh well. Mom needs good food people around if not her kids then other is the same situation. Talk,good food, and theat plce your looking in to. I'd wager she improves quickly there. I hope and pray so. My mom got to be a hand full with dementia. May you not have that to deal with.
my thoughts with you and the family and mom
cj
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #8009
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
I had looked up Cushing's Disease for a friend's pugs a few years ago and got similar results. Your poor sweetie probably would be much happier not getting pills jammed down her throat.
I totally agree with Dawg on this one.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #8010
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks guys! My sister the nurse's most infamous quote: "I just wish our old people would die. We need the beds.". GAH! She also thinks that since she's a nurse, she should be the "point person" when talking to the medical folks about Mom. Nope. Over my dead body.

I'm wondering also if Mom might have had a small stroke, her NP thought it was possible. I'm just happy that this normally lucid, albeit at times difficult woman is with us on the short term care thing.