"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #8141
Head Chef

I'm back home from my visit to the Red Cross Bloodmobile truck parked at the library. All was well until I got to the question about having gotten an inoculation with the past 4 weeks. Well, I had a shingles shot back in December. After phoning the pharmacy where I got the shot to get the precise date, the tech said I was one day short of being eligible to give. Darn. But they'll be back in a couple of months and I'll try again. Their eyes lit up when they heard I'm O negative and we were all pretty disappointed at the outcome.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #8142
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm back home from my visit to the Red Cross Bloodmobile truck parked at the library. All was well until I got to the question about having gotten an inoculation with the past 4 weeks. Well, I had a shingles shot back in December. After phoning the pharmacy where I got the shot to get the precise date, the tech said I was one day short of being eligible to give. Darn. But they'll be back in a couple of months and I'll try again. Their eyes lit up when they heard I'm O negative and we were all pretty disappointed at the outcome.
I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17 (the age in Saskatchewan you could start). I too am 0 Negative and when I was working in downtown Vancouver I was set up as an emergency donor. If they needed blood for a certain patient I would be called and I had a letter that I could give my boss to leave work for it - not that I needed it, my boss was a real softy! Anyway, I was very proud of this fact and helped many people that way. Then I found out I had a condition that I needed medication for that permanently stopped me from being a viable donor. Both the Red Cross and I were pretty sad at that news. I had really gotten to know the people at the blood centre and they appreciated my loyalty. Here's hoping all is well for your next time!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #8143
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17 (the age in Saskatchewan you could start). I too am 0 Negative and when I was working in downtown Vancouver I was set up as an emergency donor. If they needed blood for a certain patient I would be called and I had a letter that I could give my boss to leave work for it - not that I needed it, my boss was a real softy! Anyway, I was very proud of this fact and helped many people that way. Then I found out I had a condition that I needed medication for that permanently stopped me from being a viable donor. Both the Red Cross and I were pretty sad at that news. I had really gotten to know the people at the blood centre and they appreciated my loyalty. Here's hoping all is well for your next time!
I'm not the slightest bit surprised to hear this about you, LP. So many unsung angels out there.

I gave way back in my young adulthood, but after a bad experience just began to neglect it. My donation last July was my first in many years. I told the folks there that it was motivated by/in honor of my son, who donated many, many times before a bout of chemotherapy put an end to it.

Anyone who is hesitant about donating -- don't be. Those are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And besides, they give out juice and cookies and this time I missed out on a free T-shirt.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #8144
Executive Chef

i always knew you two girls were special--rare standouts in the midst of all those cornflakes crowds.:)
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #8145
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i always knew you two girls were special--rare standouts in the midst of all those cornflakes crowds.:)

My Dad gave almost 80 pints of blood in his lifetime and I remember in those last couple of years when he was needing transfusions himself thinking how grateful I was that people had donated so he could get better. He said to me when he was receiving his first one that he had just given because it felt good and to now see it from the other side made it all the more meaningful.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #8146
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17
you've been giving blood for 12 years!?!????

that reminds me of the joke about how my mother decided to start exercising, walkng 5 miles a day every day since she turned 75.

we have no idea where she is and have been out looking for her ever since...

anywhooo, congrats to both of you ladies. lp, your blood is about the only negative thing about you, and tl, anyone would consider themselves lucky to be infused with a bit of you.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #8147
Head Chef

Whoa, back off, nice people. All the plus marks go in LP's column. I only showed up at the right place -- no cigar for that. But thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #8148
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't donate. I have perfectly round blood cells. That means they can't go around corners as it is flowing. The blood cells have an excellent chance of creating a clot in the recipient. No wonder most of my arteries are half closed. I have stents all over the place. The last time I went into the Cath lab, they told me that there is no more they can do for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #8149
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Whoa, back off, nice people. All the plus marks go in LP's column. I only showed up at the right place -- no cigar for that. But thanks.
Hey, I say you are the one that deserve the cudo's! I just commented on how I understood your disappointment at not being able to give more. I am just a little old (okay in my mid 29's eh Bucky? ) Canuck who does what she can.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #8150
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
My Dad gave almost 80 pints of blood in his lifetime and I remember in those last couple of years when he was needing transfusions himself thinking how grateful I was that people had donated so he could get better. He said to me when he was receiving his first one that he had just given because it felt good and to now see it from the other side made it all the more meaningful.
Oops, that was supposed to read almost 180 pints - 4 times a year over a period of about 50 years (he missed a few). Now there is a person who deserves the cudos!