"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #8141
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
I'm back home from my visit to the Red Cross Bloodmobile truck parked at the library. All was well until I got to the question about having gotten an inoculation with the past 4 weeks. Well, I had a shingles shot back in December. After phoning the pharmacy where I got the shot to get the precise date, the tech said I was one day short of being eligible to give. Darn. But they'll be back in a couple of months and I'll try again. Their eyes lit up when they heard I'm O negative and we were all pretty disappointed at the outcome.
__________________

__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #8142
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm back home from my visit to the Red Cross Bloodmobile truck parked at the library. All was well until I got to the question about having gotten an inoculation with the past 4 weeks. Well, I had a shingles shot back in December. After phoning the pharmacy where I got the shot to get the precise date, the tech said I was one day short of being eligible to give. Darn. But they'll be back in a couple of months and I'll try again. Their eyes lit up when they heard I'm O negative and we were all pretty disappointed at the outcome.
I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17 (the age in Saskatchewan you could start). I too am 0 Negative and when I was working in downtown Vancouver I was set up as an emergency donor. If they needed blood for a certain patient I would be called and I had a letter that I could give my boss to leave work for it - not that I needed it, my boss was a real softy! Anyway, I was very proud of this fact and helped many people that way. Then I found out I had a condition that I needed medication for that permanently stopped me from being a viable donor. Both the Red Cross and I were pretty sad at that news. I had really gotten to know the people at the blood centre and they appreciated my loyalty. Here's hoping all is well for your next time!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #8143
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17 (the age in Saskatchewan you could start). I too am 0 Negative and when I was working in downtown Vancouver I was set up as an emergency donor. If they needed blood for a certain patient I would be called and I had a letter that I could give my boss to leave work for it - not that I needed it, my boss was a real softy! Anyway, I was very proud of this fact and helped many people that way. Then I found out I had a condition that I needed medication for that permanently stopped me from being a viable donor. Both the Red Cross and I were pretty sad at that news. I had really gotten to know the people at the blood centre and they appreciated my loyalty. Here's hoping all is well for your next time!
I'm not the slightest bit surprised to hear this about you, LP. So many unsung angels out there.

I gave way back in my young adulthood, but after a bad experience just began to neglect it. My donation last July was my first in many years. I told the folks there that it was motivated by/in honor of my son, who donated many, many times before a bout of chemotherapy put an end to it.

Anyone who is hesitant about donating -- don't be. Those are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. And besides, they give out juice and cookies and this time I missed out on a free T-shirt.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #8144
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
i always knew you two girls were special--rare standouts in the midst of all those cornflakes crowds.:)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #8145
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i always knew you two girls were special--rare standouts in the midst of all those cornflakes crowds.:)


My Dad gave almost 80 pints of blood in his lifetime and I remember in those last couple of years when he was needing transfusions himself thinking how grateful I was that people had donated so he could get better. He said to me when he was receiving his first one that he had just given because it felt good and to now see it from the other side made it all the more meaningful.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #8146
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I totally understand, Lizzie. I started giving blood the day after I turned 17
you've been giving blood for 12 years!?!????



that reminds me of the joke about how my mother decided to start exercising, walkng 5 miles a day every day since she turned 75.



we have no idea where she is and have been out looking for her ever since...

anywhooo, congrats to both of you ladies. lp, your blood is about the only negative thing about you, and tl, anyone would consider themselves lucky to be infused with a bit of you.
__________________
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #8147
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Whoa, back off, nice people. All the plus marks go in LP's column. I only showed up at the right place -- no cigar for that. But thanks.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #8148
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,086
I can't donate. I have perfectly round blood cells. That means they can't go around corners as it is flowing. The blood cells have an excellent chance of creating a clot in the recipient. No wonder most of my arteries are half closed. I have stents all over the place. The last time I went into the Cath lab, they told me that there is no more they can do for me.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #8149
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Whoa, back off, nice people. All the plus marks go in LP's column. I only showed up at the right place -- no cigar for that. But thanks.
Hey, I say you are the one that deserve the cudo's! I just commented on how I understood your disappointment at not being able to give more. I am just a little old (okay in my mid 29's eh Bucky? ) Canuck who does what she can.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #8150
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
My Dad gave almost 80 pints of blood in his lifetime and I remember in those last couple of years when he was needing transfusions himself thinking how grateful I was that people had donated so he could get better. He said to me when he was receiving his first one that he had just given because it felt good and to now see it from the other side made it all the more meaningful.
Oops, that was supposed to read almost 180 pints - 4 times a year over a period of about 50 years (he missed a few). Now there is a person who deserves the cudos!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.